Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just installed my WC kit on my GTX280 but now I can clearly hear it squealing over the stock fan.

I found this guide that used nail polish to cover the caps.

Has anyone done this before... and does it work?

Please help me since I want a quiet non squealing PC.

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
squiling can also be caused by capacitors and is normal

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Any glue will work as it helps reduce the vibrations.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilsquirtle View Post
it works but it voids warranty. so u have been warned.

did u mean finding this link?
Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post
squiling can also be caused by capacitors and is normal
Caps = capacitors.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Download and install EVGA volt mod tool. If this works you have dvrm's.
You do I have 280's. No coils

So you would be hearing cap squeal. High pitched ringing. The same noise that disposable camera makes, after the flash has been discharged. And the capacitors are recharging for the next flash.

Its a general sign that your PSU is running out amps. And the cap are dis charging faster than recharging. Some PSU are rated higher than they actually output
I tried to sli 280s on 720watt enermax. Same noise. I had to pull one of them. Bought a 1050. There dead silent.

If you have done the math on your system, and you know for a fact it's rock solid. No locks up's, no bsod's. Sometimes you can get a gpu with noisy caps.
I would RMA it. That's just me. I can't stand that noise.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zippit View Post
So I just installed my WC kit on my GTX280 but now I can clearly hear it squealing over the stock fan.

I found this guide that used nail polish to cover the caps.

Has anyone done this before... and does it work?

Please help me since I want a quiet non squealing PC.

squeal baby squeal!! I like when mine squeals, at least i know its working hard

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFPS View Post
Its a general sign that your PSU is running out amps. And the cap are dis charging faster than recharging. Some PSU are rated higher than they actually output
I tried to sli 280s on 720watt enermax. Same noise. I had to pull one of them. Bought a 1050. There dead silent.

If you have done the math on your system, and you know for a fact it's rock solid. No locks up's, no bsod's. Sometimes you can get a gpu with noisy caps.
I would RMA it. That's just me. I can't stand that noise.
That's not true.

If a PSU "ran out of amps", over-current-protection (OCP) would kick in and shutdown the PSU.

It is just the nature of analogue voltage regulation.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
mine does that do but in games i don't hear it as much but i cant fold on it because of that i cant stand it too but have no choice

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
wut/

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
lolwut at the screenshots.

On topic: My GTX 280 squealed like no tomorrow..this GTX 295 is dead silent as far as that is concerned.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ljason8eg View Post
lolwut at the screenshots.

On topic: My GTX 280 squealed like no tomorrow..this GTX 295 is dead silent as far as that is concerned.
My GTX 285 sqealed, but only in menus during Vantage testing. Otherwise it was fine in games. I talked to eVGA and the rep (Michael seems to know what he is talking about) said the caps will do that, especially when there is no FPS limiter. So he said it will happen in game menus more then in actual game play. He offered to RMA it, but I was stepping up to a GTX 295 (this was about 3 weeks ago and I just sent the 285 in on Weds).

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post
That's not true.

If a PSU "ran out of amps", over-current-protection (OCP) would kick in and shutdown the PSU.

It is just the nature of analogue voltage regulation.

Ducky the 280's have digital voltage regulation. Hence dvrm and EVGA's volt mod utility. There are no voltage coils in the 280. Naked 280

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DrFPS View Post
Ducky the 280's have digital voltage regulation. Hence dvrm and EVGA's volt mod utility. There are no voltage coils in the 280. Naked 280
It is always nice to see someone posting pics, thanks!

DuckieHo is talking about the solid state caps. They are located at the back of the card in your pic. Here they are outlined in red:

Source: UPDATED: Nvidia's "deadly" flaw and how to fix it - no more squealing!

Quote:
Caps should be the ones producing squealing sound, but in case of our card, nail polish was needed elsewhere as well.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Now I finally know whats causing that sound.
I knew it was from the gtx280, but never knew exactly what was causing it. Thing is, its practically inaudible in itself, but the front audio outputs on my case get tons of interference from these caps. I've tried to keep the cable as far away from the gpu, but some get through anyway. Annoying.

Like Ericeod says, its mostly in menus and loading screens in high end games. For a "squeel bench", test Crysis or Crysis: Warhead. You should hear the sound immediatly when the esrb pop up all the way into the main menu. While gaming though its no problem.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
It is always nice to see someone posting pics, thanks!

DuckieHo is talking about the solid state caps. They are located at the back of the card in your pic. Here they are outlined in red:

Source: UPDATED: Nvidia’s “deadly†flaw and how to fix it - no more squealing!

Did you read the article? An excerpt taken from your source.

Read: if your card has Digital Voltage Regulation Module (DVRM, as Iwill originally called it - Digital PWM is more popular these days) or all solid-state caps and shielded chokes, no sound should be produced.

Now read Duckys last post

Quote:
DuckieHo "It is just the nature of analogue voltage regulation."

There is no mention of capacitors? In his previous post he mentioned glue. And he is speaking of gluing the analog copper coil voltage regulators. I might add you bring up a very good point.

However and please don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to troll or be an arse. The caps you point out are fully shielded.
The case on the GTX 280 is made out of solid die cast. I have owned 3 280 over the last year.

They never made a noise until I sli 'd with a Enermax 720watt PSU. It was a chain of events. I thought I would get away without having to buy a PSU.
I know of other 280 owners. There cards don't make noise. It only happens with certain power supplies.

DuckyHo also said if they were underpowered it would trip the OCP. That's not true either. The red led on the back of the card, lights up! The computer will continue to work just fine. With no display.
I'm not trying to dis the man. He doesn't own a 280. I have a theory, but I've said enough.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts