Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone.

I've been folding for awhile on this system now and so far it seems like it's going well. Is it normal for me to be getting about 9K-16K PPD from both of my SR-2 quad-core Xeons (e5620s @ stock 2.4) combined? I mean the PPD simply under the CPU part of FahMon shows ~9K at the moment but it varies up to about 16K. I have the client set up correctly I believe with SMP (SMP2 Gromacs) and generally getting low 6.000#s of WUs (currently crunching a 6060... now a 6050). -bigadv is on, though I've not done any configuration with verbosity, core priority (task manager I mean), or anything else. SMP switch is forced via config, messing with it again here and it does show core priority as low in the config options. I also noticed there was no setting for -advmethods so going to turn that on and see what it does.

Edit. Ok after only changing core priority from idle/low (originally at low) to idle, it gives me a crappy 25,000 CPU (Gromacs Core, not SMP Gromacs) unit and barely uses 10% CPU. Changed it back to low and it's putting CPU to 100% as it should since I'm *also* folding with GPU.

Hmm I guess after reading more of the SMP FAQ, it's pretty much getting what it can tap out until I can OC I suppose.

All I mean to ask is I keep hearing people saying they're getting 20-30K points with their CPU alone and while mine isn't sluggish by any means, it's nowhere near that.

Will simply OC'ing a bit bring my points in line, or is there some other setting I'm missing?

1149710141_b7F7R-L.jpg

1149710160_k2m9z-L.jpg

1149709968_3WhWQ-L.jpg

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
from 1 5620 @ 4Ghz I get around 28k PPD on a typical -bigadv unit. Overclocking is needed on these chips and specially if you plan on doing bigadv.

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Are you even folding for OCN?
thinking.gif

Can you post a screenshot of HFM & task manager (performance tab).
Edit - Just saw your old edit, wow exactly what i asked.
thumb.gif

Like Shogon said, overclocking is the key, at 2.4ghz its rather slow.
You are working on a 6041, its not the worst unit but its rather big and slow compared to most, if you would get your chips to 4ghz you would blast through them.
Also try doing -smp 15 so you leave 1 thread for the 580 to fold on.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'm probably just thinking that a Ghz speed increase will translate to a linear incrase in PPD (one core atm would probably be giving me 4-8K PPD I'd think), when it really almost seems to be exponential. Have to wait for my RMA'd GPU to come back though as I need to get my power draw figured out before I can comfortably OC. Thanks.

Hey Lil, I've had a few teams want my rig pulling for them so yeah, maybe I should get right on that XD. Glad I could read your mind.

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Boo!
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Join OCN and we shall drool over your PPD and admire you, also reward you with some nice little forum benefits.
Postbit, badges, chance at winning prizes in the foldathons, bragging rights?
biggrin.gif

You can probaly do bigadv at stock speed, but I really suggest you overclock it just a little even 3.6ghz will get you such an increase you will want to go for 4ghz.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Chris. Already switched lol. Yeah when I go into the (for some reason it shows up under the GPU FaH log and not the CPU one) that Cores = 15. Thus I think the GPU is automatically already using a core, though I suppose I could always flag it too.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
As said already, for a P6041, and the CPUs being at stock, that sounds about right.

You really wanna OC it a bit, then switch to -bigadv for real PPD.
wink.gif

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, I was confused in thinking that because I always had the -advmethods set to [Yes] in the console configuration that it'd in turn, give me -bigadv WUs.

For example the current project is an a3 core. How can I tell it's also a -bigadv WU adie from it showing the -smp -bigadv switches together in the configuration? Should I go back into the settings and set force -advmethods to [no]? I thought it was always good to have it on [Yes]...

I don't know if I can meet a -bigadv unit's deadline at stock with my SR-2 but I'd at least like to try one
wink.gif

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
An a3 core WU, with Project number 2684, 2685, 2686, 2692 or 6900 is a -bigadv WU. All other a3 cores are standard SMP WUs.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ah ok so it's still pretty much luck of the draw as to which I'll get, but when I do, my configuration is correct as-is? Cool.
*grumbles about a stupid 6041 he just got*
thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Thanks for the reply, Zodac. I can't +rep you awesome people. Boourns.

·
Premium Member
46,119 Posts
Oh, you can. But I'm not gonna tell you how.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for helping this newbie out with understanding bigadv
wink.gif

So I see the thread here: http://www.overclock.net/folding-home-guides-tutorials/607465-vmware-3-0-8-core-folding.html It doesn't look too hard to follow if taken step by step. Am I correct in understanding that I do not *have* to use Linux to get -bigadv WUs, just that some people prefer that version, or does the Linux version get a bigadv WU every time?

Sorry, just been racking my head on this stuff today and I have never touched Linux. If I can do it with Windows, I'd rather just stick with that and the SMP client.

Edit - Saw someone else that asked basically the same thing as to how to really tell if they're getting bigadv WUs. Guess it's solved then, thanks.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hey Deeeeeeeeeeeeeebs ;p

I'm sure I have... I've had a passkey for ages so that's taken care of. I'll just finish up this testing here and go turn off advmethods then. Maybe that's why I've not caught anything really insane yet.

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
You've got two mega's for CPU coolers...over clock to 4.0ghz! With bigadv's at 4.0ghz and your GTX580 you're PPD will be insane. I'm gonna guess somewhere around the 100k mark?

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'd OC but basically I want to learn how much wattage I'm pulling with my system at stock first. Since not everything's installed yet, I don't want to OC and skew things. I'm hooked up to a 1KW UPS so once I know how much I pull at stock, I can know just how far to OC
. Or I can put things like the monitor and speakers in the surge side with no battery backup... But yeah, I'm still in the 30s C when under load. I'm sure I can OC on these a bit confortably and I do plan to give it a shot at some point. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Get a kill-o-watt to see how much you are pulling out of the wall. Before I added the video cards I have in my rig now, I was only pulling about 500w max with my 4890 folding as well as 15 threads folding.
And for bigadv, I get anywhere from 16-38k PPD depending on the WU. If its a p6900 I may even get a bit more.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dude120
View Post

Get a kill-o-watt to see how much you are pulling out of the wall.

Got one and enjoying it! Sitting at about 300w idle and in the 500-550w range under load. But then again, I'm also waiting for my 2nd 580 to stop visiting RMA-Land. If it was just this system as-is, then yeah I could certainly OC without any power concerns at all. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts