Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, phase change newbie here.

I finally made up my mind and decided to move from TEC to SS phase change to cool my next core i7 build

I'm buying a custom unit from LittleDevil, he'll mod a single stage inside the lower part of the Lian-Li V2110B for me, I'm really trilled about it, I've been a fan of LittleDevil's work from long ago.

I've decided to change hardware too, although I might use some components fom my previous setup.

Here's what I have in mind:

Intel Core i7 920
Gigabyte X58-EXTREME
3x2GB 1600/1866 DDR 3 (undecided what's best? Corsair/OCZ/Kingston?)
2xGeforce 280 GTX (from my previous build)
4x1TB Seagate 7200 RPM RAID 0+1
Enermax Galaxy 1000W
Lian-Li V2110B

I also plan to setup a watercooling rig for chipset and graphic cards, LittleDevil is gonna drill a 3x120 mm radiator grill on top of the case to hold a Black Ice 360mm compact radiator

I was wandering if someone has or plans to have a similar setup, my goal is to OC Core i7 920 @ 4.5 ghz, will I be able to reach those speeds?, I've been told that this unit can normally hold 250W @ -32ºC and that he'll try to tune my single stage for high loads.

Any ideas of how much heat would the SS phase change have to move at those speeds? do you have any suggestions regarding the best RAM for OC? Also, what's the max sub-zero save voltage for the core i7 920?

Thank you very much for your input, pics coming soon!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterWar View Post
Hi, phase change newbie here.

I was wandering if someone has or plans to have a similar setup, my goal is to OC Core i7 920 @ 4.5 ghz, will I be able to reach those speeds?, I've been told that this unit can normally hold 250W @ -32ºC and that he'll try to tune my single stage for high loads.

Any ideas of how much heat would the SS phase change have to move at those speeds? do you have any suggestions regarding the best RAM for OC? Also, what's the max sub-zero save voltage for the core i7 920?

Thank you very much for your input, pics coming soon!

once again dude. i cant calculate wattages without knowign the voltage.

the equation is Overclocked Watts = Default Watts * (Overclocked Mhz \\ Default Mhz) * (Overclocked Vcore \\ Default Vcore)²

if you needed to use 1.65volts to reach 4.5ghz you would be at a 467watt tdp. which woudl probaly require .052 cap tube. the problem is i cant give you calculations on it. all the data i have is from the single core area, and in metric. http://www.cubigel.com/java/X?cgi=cu...rmaciontecnica
there is the graphs for cap tube sizing in metric. my guess is you'll probaly have to use .042 or msot likely .052 size cap tube.

sry icant help out more atm i g2g, stuff to take care of.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thx for the help dudes! Now the only thing that worries me is long starting up times for the custom build, LittleDevil told me that I have to wait 2 minutes till the unit cools down before I can power on my PC, is that normal for a single stage phase change? would the addition of a phase change controller speed up things?

thx

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterWar
View Post

Thx for the help dudes! Now the only thing that worries me is long starting up times for the custom build, LittleDevil told me that I have to wait 2 minutes till the unit cools down before I can power on my PC, is that normal for a single stage phase change? would the addition of a phase change controller speed up things?

thx

personaly if you want to get it at is peek you should wait more like 5 min... and no a phase controller wont speed it up, i think there more of a hassle, just 1 more thing to fail, bacicaly the only thing to fail in vapochills was the controller, which if the controller is dead the unit wont run. the good thing is your are able to controll when your pc turns on(either by temp or time limit) which is nice, and the ability to controll the fans. personaly i like using a rocker switch, just flip the switch and wait 2min.

·
Iconoclast
30,613 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeterWar
View Post

250w sounds about right for a 4.5GHz i7 (cpu only), depending on what voltage you need to get there.

At around -20 to -30C load, I'd bet you could run the chip at 1.55v, 24/7, without issue, but I'm not 100% certain (I've never tried it). You might beable to do more, but I'd be wary, esp because it would almost certainly increase the heat that needs to be moved well past 250w.

As you won't need to fear temps or voltage much, go for the fastest ram you are willing to pay for, you'll be able to get the uncore clock where you need it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by d3str0y3r0fn00bs
View Post

once again dude. i cant calculate wattages without knowign the voltage.

the equation is Overclocked Watts = Default Watts * (Overclocked Mhz Default Mhz) * (Overclocked Vcore Default Vcore)²

if you needed to use 1.65volts to reach 4.5ghz you would be at a 467watt tdp. which woudl probaly require .052 cap tube. the problem is i cant give you calculations on it. all the data i have is from the single core area, and in metric. http://www.cubigel.com/java/X?cgi=cu...rmaciontecnica
there is the graphs for cap tube sizing in metric. my guess is you'll probaly have to use .042 or msot likely .052 size cap tube.

sry icant help out more atm i g2g, stuff to take care of.

Leakage goes down as temps go down.

And 1.65v is not a realistic requirement for 4.5GHz, not at sub zero temps, unless you have a shoddy chip. Also, an i7 920 does not consume 130w stock. Even running LinX you'd be lucky to break 90 watts, and that's at fairly high temps (and leakage). A 3.2Ghz i7, at the max VID range (1.376v), at the max temp before PROCHOT (95C), would probably top out at 130w.

At 90C, with 1.424v and 4.01GHz, I'm at around 200 watts, maybe a bit more, maximum load (8 threads of linpack hammering away). This is also a mediocre rev C0 chip.

• Rep+
Reactions: PeterWar

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless
View Post

250w sounds about right for a 4.5GHz i7 (cpu only), depending on what voltage you need to get there.

At around -20 to -30C load, I'd bet you could run the chip at 1.55v, 24/7, without issue, but I'm not 100% certain (I've never tried it). You might beable to do more, but I'd be wary, esp because it would almost certainly increase the heat that needs to be moved well past 250w.

As you won't need to fear temps or voltage much, go for the fastest ram you are willing to pay for, you'll be able to get the uncore clock where you need it.

Leakage goes down as temps go down.

And 1.65v is not a realistic requirement for 4.5GHz, not at sub zero temps, unless you have a shoddy chip. Also, an i7 920 does not consume 130w stock. Even running LinX you'd be lucky to break 90 watts, and that's at fairly high temps (and leakage). A 3.2Ghz i7, at the max VID range (1.376v), at the max temp before PROCHOT (95C), would probably top out at 130w.

At 90C, with 1.424v and 4.01GHz, I'm at around 200 watts, maybe a bit more, maximum load (8 threads of linpack hammering away). This is also a mediocre rev C0 chip.

Thnx for your input!

So I might end up OC this baby fairly well after all.

I've already bought the RAM, it's an OCZ PC 12800 1600 Mhz 7-7-7 1.65v platinium kit.

It's not the fastest ram at the market, thankfully my Gigabyte X58 Extreme has a 6x memory divider

Here's a pic of what I've bought, I finally had to go fro the synthe 1200 rpm fans, they were the only good ones avaliable

What I have so far:

4xSythe 1600 RPM fans
1xVGA RAM HEATSINK
1XGIGABYTE EX58 EXTREME
3x2GB OCZ DDR3 PC 12800 PLATINUM (1600 Mhz, [email protected])
1xCore i7 920 Batch 3838A659

What I have ordered (currently shipping):
-Lapping Kit
-6 foot /3 meter Fezer tube UV reactive blue
-XSPC Dual 750 Bay Reservoir

What I have ordered (under construction by Little Devil)

-Lian-li V2110B
-Rad Grill
-Black Ice 360 GTS Xflow

What I will order:

-A second Point of View geforce 280 GTX

What I wanna order and don't find:

-Lian-Li window kit for the V2110B (upper section only)-> I'm looking for the W-V2000B

·
Iconoclast
30,613 Posts
The 3838As are not known to be an especially good batch of chips, hopefully you'll get an above average one. Still with phase, I'm not sure it will even be a serious concern.

DDR3-1600 is plenty, faster memory would only give you the most marginal boost in real world performance.

·
Registered
452 Posts
hey man, can I have some pics? waiting on my unit!

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I believe he's already posted several pictures............different thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts