Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I launch certain processes like a game or Steam for some reason my secondary hard drive gets activated. It makes the launching of the process slow. It's a storage drive and I don't have anything installed on it, so I'm not sure why it's being turned on when im launching applications from my SSD.

edit* Silly me, I think the root of the problem is having stuff in the recycle bin from my secondary HDD although I'm not 100% sure

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,939 Posts
So then empty the recycle bin.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Just a shot in the dark here, but have you moved the Windows "Documents" folder to your HDD by chance? Some programs and games will put files/folders in the Documents folder by default (things like save points in games, project files, etc...). If this is the case for you, the program(s) you're launching could be accessing these files and causing your HDD to spin up.

·
Registered
460 Posts
What franisw19 said, if you moved or followed sean's guide on SSD's, you may have moved your documnets folders to the HDD cauing it to spin up when you open games.

·
Banned
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didnt follow his guide, but it still happens when I sign into steam. Guess steam writes something to it

·
Not new to Overclock.net
78,939 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranseed View Post

I didnt follow his guide, but it still happens when I sign into steam. Guess steam writes something to it
It might be logging.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts