Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have weird issue with my SSD Crucial Bx 100 250 gb. Every hour i can hear ticking rattling noise for 5-10 seconds, coming from my exactly my ssd. I am 99% sure that is coming from ssd because i put my ears close to ssd.
The most strange thing is that when i touch my case by finger noise is gone.
So its a kind of vibration but i cant understand because this is ssd without mechanical moving parts. Any ideas what causing this?

Noise is like ticking or rattling.

Yes i am sure its coming from ssd because i dont have any fans and hdd installed,only ssd on that part of case. And i put my ears close and its coming exactly from ssd area.

When i am touching case by my finger that ticking noise coming from ssd is gone. Or opposite. When i am touching my case by finger ticking noise starting.

Any ideas what it could be?

My case is Cooler Master Centurion 590. Disk is plugged only by 1 screw.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Just take the SSD out of the case, and see if the noise goes away or not. You don't have to unplug the SSD, let it hang outside the case.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No anything no hitting by a case fan.

When i am touching case by my finger that ticking noise coming from ssd is gone. Or opposite. When i am touching my case by finger ticking noise starting. Noise is a kind rattle noise, something like this, but it is coming from ssd.

Any ideas what it could be?

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
There's absolutely no moving parts in an SSD, nothing to rattle anyway. Occasional coil whine is reported to be heard from some earlier models but that's a faint high pitched sound.Check your fans, they are usual suspects.

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
I suspect it's vibrations coming through the case and causing either the plastic case or another part to vibrate or resonate. This would explain the noise starting/stopping when you touch the case or the SSD.

Try using something to absord vibrations and avoid metal to metal. You can get small rubber grommets/washers to achieve this task.

Another thing you can do is apply a velcro strip to the case and ssd and stick it that way.

·
Registered
1,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes . Noise coming from ssd area starting/stopping when i am touching the pc case . That can be harmful to pc , can i damage pc of this?

And why noise is coming from ssd ?

·
Premium Member
18,591 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sew333 View Post

Yes . Noise coming from ssd area starting/stopping when i am touching the pc case . That can be harmful to pc , can i damage pc of this?

And why noise is coming from ssd ?
I suspect it's vibrations coming through the case and causing either the plastic case or another part to vibrate or resonate.

Probably the SSD casing is vibrating. There will be no damage.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts