Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Been making some extra cash and i first thought about building another pc and it being a sandy setup but now im kinda thinking of just adding a ssd to my pc. Hows the raid work on ssd i was thinking getting 2 96gigs or 2 120/128 gig ones and raid 0 them. Also how fast are the hybrid drives like this one and do they work in raid 0 ?

Drives iv found that look to be priced decent

Amazon.com: Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 Series Solid State Drive CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1: Electronics Amazon.com: Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 Series Solid State Drive CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1: Electronics

Amazon.com: Lexar Media Inc Crucial 128 GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive CT128M4SSD2: Electronics Amazon.com: Lexar Media Inc Crucial 128 GB m4 SATA 6Gb/s 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive CT128M4SSD2: Electronics

Amazon.com: OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex 2 Series SATA II 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G: Electronics Amazon.com: OCZ Technology 120 GB Vertex 2 Series SATA II 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive (SSD) OCZSSD2-2VTXE120G: Electronics

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bal3Wolf
View Post

I Been making some extra cash and i first thought about building another pc and it being a sandy setup but now im kinda thinking of just adding a ssd to my pc. Hows the raid work on ssd i was thinking getting 2 96gigs or 2 120/128 gig ones and raid 0 them.

That, sounds really good to me - I don't know RAID so well (Other than that it's just an redundant array of Inexpensive Disks, and that it sort of transforms two + HD's Into one Readable HD through windows (Meaning you don't have D:, E:, And F: HD's - Only C:, and Your Optical Drive(s).

I Could kill for an SSD JUST For my Games, since I don't give a crap about how fast windows Boots, although It would be a nice feature to turn on PC (wait ten seconds) and boom, your in winders 7.

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea im using a raid 0 on 3 320s right now but it seems i got a bad drive cause it can lag real bad sometimes.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I know what 96Gigs you are considering... Those would be Kingston V+100 right?
Raid 0 works fine with SSDs as long as you use drives which have garbage collection.
Otherwise you would lose TRIM which would cause the SSD to become slower and slower in write speed. The 96Gigs you are considering do have GC but they are particularly slow on random reads unless the QD is large. For a typical OS drive that would not be good and RAIDing it using an onboard software RAID does not scale this performance unfortunately.
What 120/128G were you considering?

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I havet picked any out yet just looking at them on amazon to find the best priced ones under 250 bucks per ssd or maybe a 256gig for around 500 max.

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Yea im using a raid 0 on 3 320s right now but it seems i got a bad drive cause it can lag real bad sometimes.

Oh man, that's not good - Well, get a OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD (I hear those things are good, but I'm not Trolling SSD's like a Hawk. I just use a Little 320GB SATA II HD, and MAN, I can LAG... I Know a Dual-core @ 4Ghz and 4GB's RAM With a HD 4870 should perform much better than getting 35FPS Avg with max settings... Oh man, that means I have to save for an SSD Now (*facepunch*).

·
Registered
4,307 Posts
why not just get 2x 60s/64s?
most of the time ur not even going to use that much. (videos and heavy stuff on a hard drive)

i look more into the IOPS more then anything.

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yea my raid is wierd it loads games fast but if i copy somthing from my raid to my other pc it can lag my pc so bad its hard to use it never did that befor. Iv formated and rebuilt the raid, tried new cables and differt sata slots so im guessing 1 or more hardrives is having some kind of issue.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolwaters
View Post

most of the time ur not even going to use that much. (videos and heavy stuff on a hard drive)

Id like to get atleast 256gigs so i can install games to it.

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coolwaters
View Post

Well, I'm pretty sure He likes to play a butt load of games on an i7, so Getting a good amount of SSD Space is crucial, especially if you use them for games only (because most games nowadays use 10GB's +, and if you play more than 10 games @ 10GB's +, There goes all of your SSD Space

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Quote:

View Post

yea my raid is wierd it loads games fast but if i copy somthing from my raid to my other pc it can lag my pc so bad its hard to use it never did that befor. Iv formated and rebuilt the raid, tried new cables and differt sata slots so im guessing 1 or more hardrives is having some kind of issue.

Id like to get atleast 256gigs so i can install games to it.

Run a ChkDsk on each of them - that will solve your issue then.

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nvidia-Brownies
View Post

Run a ChkDsk on each of them - that will solve your issue then.

Thats the wierd part all drives been checked lol no errors at all smart says they are good also.

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Pretty easy. Don't RAID SSDs, you won't see a big difference in performance, apart from benchmarks. You will also lose TRIM. Conclusion: get one bigger SSD drive and enjoy. I recommend Crucial SSDs.

·
Banned
1,829 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XSCounter
View Post

Pretty easy. Don't RAID SSDs, you won't see a big difference in performance, apart from benchmarks. You will also lose TRIM. Conclusion: get one bigger SSD drive and enjoy. I recommend Crucial SSDs.

Crucial and OCZ Seem to be the best out there - I think I'll be aiming for a 32GB SSD (Since I only play BF:BC2, and Will be playing BF3.) But, If they've got a bigger SSD For a cheap price that I can afford in time (I'm only 14, so bear with me on BUY BIG BUY EXPENSIVE, because I sure CANNOT! Do that)

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Im not even sure a ssd would be worth it over say one the the faster samsung drives that perform really good in raid 0. The f4 drives are suppose to be really fast can almost keep up with a ssd from the reviews i saw months ago.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822152244

·
Premium Member
14,731 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Im not even sure a ssd would be worth it over say one the the faster samsung drives that perform really good in raid 0.

Raid doesn't help access times, so what you're using it for dictates whether or not it's worth it. If you're a video editor maybe, but there are a lot of myths regarding raid. I think too many people see an HDTach graph and get excited and have no idea what they're actually looking at

·
Premium Member
6,344 Posts
SSD for OS, HDD for games. F3/Black/Barracuda, etc. Save money getting a smaller SSD (40-64Gb) and splurge on a few 1Tb drives for RAID 0, plus another for backups (at least this is my plan).

·
Premium Member
18,369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Lol i been using raid for a few years and up till last few months when my raid slowed down i loved it cause i could hammer my pc and it never felt laggy when copying files and stuff.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.