Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure but for boards that do not have sata 6 onboard is it capable to run an SSD boot through an addon sata 6? Since you can't boot OS through pci ssd's and afaik the sata 6 adapters connect to the pci slots so does that mean if you buy a sata 6 SSD means you can't boot your OS from it? Need a quick confirm so I don't end up buying a classified right now and not be able to boot OS from sata 6.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by sn0man View Post
From the reviews of such a card, I don't see why there would be an issue:
the closest one I found relating to boot was the owner of the p6t deluxe where he claims he can, "select the sata as a boot drive" which means he had the option to but not specifying if he did.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkuatic View Post
I'm not sure but for boards that do not have sata 6 onboard is it capable to run an SSD boot through an addon sata 6? Since you can't boot OS through pci ssd's and afaik the sata 6 adapters connect to the pci slots so does that mean if you buy a sata 6 SSD means you can't boot your OS from it? Need a quick confirm so I don't end up buying a classified right now and not be able to boot OS from sata 6.
There won't be any PCI SATA 6Gbps cards.... PCI is too slow at 133MB/s shared bus. There are PCIe SATA 6Gbps cards though.

OS can boot through PCIe. Always has, always will. You can boot off PCIe RAID controllers and NICs fine.

SATA is backwards compatible. A SATA 6Gbps SSD will work on a SATA 3Gbps port. A SATA 3Gbps SSD will work on a SATA 6Gbps port.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought that since you can't boot OS from pcie SSDs then you wouldn't be able to boot it from pcie to controller to ssd.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Arkuatic View Post
I thought that since you can't boot OS from pcie SSDs then you wouldn't be able to boot it from pcie to controller to ssd.
You can boot from PCIe SSDs... it depends on the SATA/SAS controller being used. I know the Fusion-IO can't because they are using a custom designed controller. Most other companies are using off-the-shelf controllers from Adaptec, LSI, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts