Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I need some sort of adpater in order for my 2.5" SSD to have dimensions of 3.5" HDD. The most important thing is that the connectors need to be positioned at the exact same spot as they are on the 3.5" HDD.

All of this because I need the SSD to fit into HDD trayless hot swap mobile rack (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-5-25in-Trayless-Mobile-3-5in/dp/B000KS8S9W ) .

Since I use my Velociraptor (WD740HLFS-01G6U0, 74GB) without the heatsink, could I use the heatsink with the SSD and plug the SSD into its adapter? It fits in there but I haven't tried to power it on since I am not sure if the SSD will not be damaged. Is it a good idea or a recipe for disaster?

Thanks a lot for any ideas.

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry for the late reply. Thanks everyone for replies.
I tried it and it works.

Here are some benchmarks.
What do you think? Is the performance drop significant? I am not really an expert when it comes to analyzing these SSD benchmarks. What I like to see is that the access time is virtually the same.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,035 Posts
Well it seems to be within margin of error. I actually did the same thing with my M4. :D

Also the M4 has an aluminum housing. So the Velociraptor heatsink will act as a heatsink. So it lowers the temps. :)

Not sure about the WD green? But some SSD's are plastic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts