Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys....

at the moment, i am posting this question while I am continuing my readings on how much difference of the overall performance (especially OS startup, and games, applications launchings ) between SSDs, and VelociRaptors @ 10 RPMs, with 16 MB of Cache.

so what do you guys think ???

as I have read some about this, which some results confirm that those SSDs, are still in the fresh development stages, especially, those OCZ ones, so it seems that those mechanical VelociRaptors are still on the safe margin to go with, but here I would like to ask about the performance difference,

- so Especially to you guys who have experienced both types, (SSds, and Raptors) what would you tell me ???

thanks.

·
I'm gonna need a sweeper
7,568 Posts
SSD's are a lot quicker as an OS drive, the biggest issue is the price per GB.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I love my SSD everything opens instantly just wish the prices were cheaper so I could of bought an Intel 160GB instead. I installed Windows 7 Pro x64 in 14 minutes on my SSD.
The VR is fast but kinda loud. Upgrading from a 7200 RPM drive to an SSD will be a huge upgrade that is very noticable.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
It really depends on how you want to run your system. But basically:
OS/System Drive: SSD. More responisve and faster load times
Storage: Mechanical. Much more storage/$ and good sustained read/writes.

Reasoning: SSD's have the Random Access Time advantage by several orders of magnitude (literally 100's of times quicker at serving the requested data, sometimes 1,000's depending on what your comparing to). An OS typically deals in volume, processing large quantities of relatively small data, resulting in an SSD system drive seeming MUCH more responsive. They also tend to have strong read transfers, but write transfers can suffer on the cheaper "Value" SSD's. They're also the $/GB issue whereas mechanicals are GB/$. Programs like Adobe's Creative Suite benefit greatly from being run from SSD's as they deal in volume as well (especially if you have a lot of custom patterns/brushes/actions etc). Game's are really only effected on Level loading, and the difference is noticeable, but typically minimal.

There is one caveat though. Make sure you get an SSD with TRIM support, and be prepared to do a little under-the-hood work on windows (and I imagine linux as well) to get it running optimally. It's nothing major, mostly set it and forget it stuff, but it makes a difference. Also, I'd avoid any new models, Generally wait for a model/series to mature a bit for them to get the bugs hammered out as SSD's are still a very new technology.

I'd recommend:
OCZ Vertex 32GB. (the 64GB version is actually slower). Best bang for buck and great resources on their site for getting your OS properly optimized for the SSD.
Intel X25-V 40GB. Really any Intel SSD will do, they're the Kings of the market so to speak right now. They suffer in write speeds but excell in all other areas by a large shot.

If you need more capacity I'd recommend just getting two of one of the above and RAID'ing them together for even more performance.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote:
Especially to you guys who have experienced both types, (SSds, and Raptors) what would you tell me
I've had both generations of the Raptor series, 80-150-300GB VRaptors, and two different types of SSDs.

There's no comparision because mechanical and solid state drives are two different ballgames.

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Not to High Jack and get off topic but since the above post says that the VR and SSD are two different ball games i thought I would attach a second question...

What about One VR (300 Gb 16Mb Cache 10,000 RPM) and two F3's (1Tb 32Mb Cashe 7200 RPM) in Raid 0?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Two slow hard drives in RAID0 will ALMOST ALWAYS beat one crazy fast 10K hard drive.

Its the same as my 2 Agility 2 SSDs in RAID0 are beating my single Mushkin SSD.

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts
That's an old thread to ressurect...

RAID-0 doesn't positively affect seek times - only negatively or not at all. If you need to do file copies or high res video editing, RAID-0 may be the best option - or also if you can get two identical drives really cheap. But for OS/Apps/Games, seek times matter a lot, and often RAID-0 is not the best answer.

Take two HDDs with 150MB/sec sequential speeds and 14ms seeks - and then RAID-0 them. Also take a Velociraptor 1TB with 200MB/sec sequential speeds and ~6ms seeks. If you compare IOPS and other benchmarks, the Velociraptor will be about 2-3x faster than the RAID array.

Performance keeps scaling up as you drop seek times further, which is why SSDs often manage 10-20x faster performance than HDDs in real-world multitasking. Sequential performance is only 1.5-3x higher, and yet because access times are so low, the SSDs manage to deliver performance far beyond what HDDs can.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts