Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey internet, i recently bought a netbook and it has a 250 gig 5400 rpm drive. The drive is much slower than my raid0 640 Blacks. I think this is a large part of why performance is the way it is. Either that or the Atom CPU, but opening folders, selecting movies, starting Firefox. All are a lil slower than I expected. I think I need a SSD.

So, I don't know anything bout em. I've read trim keepps performance up. I don't know how. I need to do some serious reading about solid state drives. A ssd will also take less power from netbook n help battery life, right?

I think I want at least 64GB. I don't wanna spend as much as I did on the netbook tho. I have the 1201N. Basically the top dog of netbooks..

Suggestions, advice? I don't need the best ssd. But something good

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
233 Posts
Do you need that much space on your netbook? I'm dual booting on a 16GB. That Dane Elec one is a G1, so it will require maintenance with the lack of TRIM. I would suggest one of the OCZ drives right now. They have had some great sales lately. I think the cheapest I saw was $70 for the 30GB after rebate. I got my 2x60GB Vertexs for $150ea.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote:
That Dane Elec one is a G1, so it will require maintenance with the lack of TRIM.
The G1s always have had their own type of garbage collection to compensate for TRIM.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one because of that but IDK if any SSD will cure all your problems.

If I were you I'd be investigating if others took this route to cure their Netbook's slowness and their conclusions.

Those things weren't meant to be speed demons you know.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Read the links in my Sig. They will tell you everything you need to know about SSDs. Its a long read, but worth it if you are shelling out $1k on an SSD.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
ssds will help in opening program but internet Nope. I got 3 vertex in raid -0 and
but the drivers are no faster then just 1 vertex . Even 1 vertex better then all 3 in raid.
A: trim
B: No power in just log in to have drive gc
C: look @ a

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm not worried about internet speeds or anything, and I know that they aren't meant to be the fastest little things.. I meant with opening things like Firefox takes a while, and My Computer, steam. stuff like this takes a wee bit longer than I thought it would.. I'm thinking that's cuz the slow 5,400 drive in it.

I want at least a 60, or a 64GB drive. or an 80. I don't know all the sizes they come with though

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So for starting movies, or music, opening iTunes or steam. Things like that ssd make a big difference?

I'm going to look into them more tonight

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
I am looking at picking up one of those G1 Dane electric deals as well. SO from my brief understanding. They have an automatic garbage collecting system to compensate for lack of TRIM in firmware , so do I need to use a TRIM program or software tool manually every couple of months just to keep things running smooth or what?

I am eyeballing picking one of these up is why =x

Also if I was to try and set these in raid0 - would I have to do a fresh Win7 install or could I possibly transfer or image my current OS drive?

·
Premium Member
5,372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Is putting a SSD in something like my ATOM netbook not all that worth it because it's a Atom powered Netbook. I'd be more happy adding one to my PC?

I still think a SSD would help out the netbook, thats why I'm considering it, thats all.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xguntherc
View Post

Is putting a SSD in something like my ATOM netbook not all that worth it because it's a Atom powered Netbook. I'd be more happy adding one to my PC?

I still think a SSD would help out the netbook, thats why I'm considering it, thats all.

That really all depends. How often do you use your netbook? What do you use it for? Overall I think you would be happier with an SSD in your desktop, but if you are on your netbook a fair amount it would make it feel more like what a "netbook" should feel like. I have a dell mini 9 and 10, both with the OEM SSDs and they run great. They are only 16GB though, but for what I use it for its fine. A 30GB would have been a bit nicer since I dual boot, but it's plenty fine IMO for single booting.

I would try to find something on the cheaper side though just because netbooks aren't going to be workhorses and you can easily double the cost of it with an SSD upgrade. I do think that netbooks should all have SSDs since they are meant to have low power consumption and be able to boot quickly and get you on the internet quickly.

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by werds View Post
I am looking at picking up one of those G1 Dane electric deals as well. SO from my brief understanding. They have an automatic garbage collecting system to compensate for lack of TRIM in firmware , so do I need to use a TRIM program or software tool manually every couple of months just to keep things running smooth or what?

I am eyeballing picking one of these up is why =x

Also if I was to try and set these in raid0 - would I have to do a fresh Win7 install or could I possibly transfer or image my current OS drive?
The Intels didn't have as much of a slowdown before trim compared to other drives, see my post above. You should be able to transfer your current hdd image given the proper tools but I just did a fresh install.

As for installing one of these in a netbook, it will make your netbook act like a much more powerful system. It really depends on your typical usage though. I put an SSD in my laptop and it made me realize that the HDD in my desktop was holding it back. It also made me happier with the performance I got with the much weaker cpu.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Hippie
View Post

The G1s always have had their own type of garbage collection to compensate for TRIM.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one because of that but IDK if any SSD will cure all your problems.

If I were you I'd be investigating if others took this route to cure their Netbook's slowness and their conclusions.

Those things weren't meant to be speed demons you know.

Wait.... Intel SSDs don't have garbage collection....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Duckie I work with someone who was telling me that the G1's had a firmware release in November of last year which introduced GC, I told him he was crazy but he seemed pretty adamant that he was correct. I've never read anywhere that these had GC but I'm going to check into his claims just because I'm a dreamer.

·
Premium Member
4,496 Posts
If you read the firmware release notes (http://downloadmirror.intel.com/1836...es%202%201.pdf) you will see there has been no change to the X25-M G1 (50nm) firmware since April 09. The releases in October and November have been to update the G2 (34nm) product.
..a

·
Registered
220 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by eskaryo
View Post

I told him he was crazy but he seemed pretty adamant that he was correct. I've never read anywhere that these had GC but I'm going to check into his claims just because I'm a dreamer.

The dream is dead.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts