Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being on my first build ever, I am a bit curious on why I would want to buy a SSD along with a HDD. I am currently getting a Western Digital Black, 7200 RPM, 640GB, and some people are saying that is not enough.

Why exactly would I want to get a SSD, and are they really necessary? Because they are pretty expensive.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
They are way faster than a HDD, there is really no comparing the speeds. If you like to access and load things faster than you want an SSD.

Edit: No, of course they aren't necessary. They just make your computing experience much better.
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
14,051 Posts
Unzip a multi gigabyte ZIP/RAR/TAR/etc

HDD - go get a cup of coffee and make dinner, come back and still not done.
SSD - stretch out in your chair at your leisure, before you're done it's complete.

Other than that, the lack of seek time really lends itself to responsiveness of your OS.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBxJxPx;14188087
Why exactly would I want to get a SSD, and are they really necessary? Because they are pretty expensive.
Speed. Pure and simple. Get your hands on a 60gb SSD and use it as a boot drive, and windows (or linux) will boot up extremely fast. Its all flash based memory too, so if you drop the SSD, your won't have to worry about damaging any disks like you would with a HDD. If you have the money though and don't mind spending a few hundred dollars, get a 200+ gb ssd and use it for games. However, from experience, the money spent on the amount of memory for improved load times simply isn't worth it unless you have a disposable income, but as a boot drive, they are great.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
EDIT: Oh I see now. Great for boot drives, eh? Well, having the OS on the SSD would take a good bit of stress off of my HDD and probably make FRAPS run smoother.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Boots take <1 minute instead of >2 minutes. Games load about 4 times faster.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Really necessary? No, they aren't. But if you like to speed up loading times and such with quite a notisable bit- then yes - you wan't an SSD!
smile.gif

They're still quite expensive yeah, but no need to get much more than around 120 gb's, to host your OS, most used programs and such, then use regular HDD's for long time storage.

·
Premium Member
1,994 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers;14188128
Unzip a multi gigabyte ZIP/RAR/TAR/etc

HDD - go get a cup of coffee and make dinner, come back and still not done.
SSD - stretch out in your chair at your leisure, before you're done it's complete.

Other than that, the lack of seek time really lends itself to responsiveness of your OS.
Pretty much says it all lol.

If you're a gamer it can help in some games like the witcher 2 or fallout where you are loading in game. On a HDD you will get pauses in the game but on an SSD its constantly smooth. Also, windows will boot much much faster, programs will load faster and install faster. Basically, everything you do will be faster.

·
Registered
475 Posts
If you use it as a boot drive for say, Windows 7 it will boot up noticeably faster and just generally more responsive.

If you put any programs you use on the SSD as well you really begin to notice how fast it is, even a few minutes per day saved adds up a lot.

·
MegaTechPC
19,220 Posts
You only want an SSD for OS and programs/games. Its a waste to put data on an SSD. Even though they are much faster than an HDD, you won't really notice it too much except on startup and in situations like beers mentioned. In day to day browsing and gaming you won't really notice the speed tbh....

·
Registered
456 Posts
An SSD compared to a regular 7200rpm HDD is like night and day. Everything on the SSD just feels so much quicker and the OS loads up very fast.

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Big programs like Office (or any free replacement) and photo/video editing software loads almost instantly instead of taking ages (looking at you, Sony Vegas). If you're into rendering, you can do that FAR FAR faster with an SSD (of course, you'd have to buy a big one for the files).

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just a random question... Do you think SSD will eventually take the spot of HDD?

·
Premium Member
6,630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xBxJxPx;14188298
Just a random question... Do you think SSD will eventually take the spot of HDD?
Yes.

·
Premium Member
14,330 Posts
I've had an SSD before, 2. They were great, but honestly I leave my computer on all the time and game on it.

So an SSD was unnecessary for me. Not saying I'm not going to get another one, which I probably will when I upgrade next.

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
You don't...

SSDs mean a wicked boot time and I mean wicked. Once the POST is done I am in windows with everythign ready to go. Then that is it and most people only turn on their machine once a day or else leave it on 24/7.

The only software applications that benefit from the SSD are a few games that continue to load maps after your character is in the area. WoW does this and so does Crysis for example, but there isn't a ton of games that do it. Though more will probably be coming. However, the only thing that you will be able to notice of it is a few miliseconds less of pausing between map areas or far off textures getting loaded. If you don't have the game installed on a HDD at the same time to compare it too you would never even notice it.

As for non-game applications...the only one that might benefit are editing software that reads and wrights massive amounts of data, but then you are supposed to avoid writes to your SSD so I don't know if that is a good idea. General production like Office or Visual Studio have no visable benefit.

SSDs are really a complete waste. Modern software loads most everything it really needs into memory these days.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
well TBH ssd are nice toys to have for a pc, not everyone can afford it. is it nice to have. the only thing i can really see is everything is faster. i would not get anything under 120 gig.

it does get your windows experiance up to 7.x.

the wd blacks 640 gig one you want to get 2 of those is rad does work nicely. and they are sata 3 as well if i remember correctly.

so yeah... save up the money and get nothing smaller than a 120 gig

1 - 20 of 29 Posts