Overclock.net banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Kingston Hyperx 3K and AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 Mobo and when I was installing windows 7 for the first time I tried AHCI and I would get a very quick blue screen then the computer would reboot and it would continue this cycle until I powered down. I read to try booting it into IDE which fixed that problem and now windows is working however I was told AHCI is better than IDE for SSD. I have tried various methods (regedit for one) to be able to change the sata controller back to AHCI but everytime I have gotten the same message "BootMgr missing"

Any ideas?

Also My BIOS is up to date

·
Registered
209 Posts
You won't be able to switch this afterwards. You have to install Windows in AHCI mode. If the computer does not boot into WIndows setup while using AHCI mode, then something is broken. SATA controller/BIOS/SSD.
Without using AHCI you wont benefit as much from your SSD than in AHCI mode. Some features of the SSD are only working in AHCI.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I initially thought but I have read in quite a few places where people have done it by changing stuff in the registry although it did not work for me

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Well thats weird. So you try booting up with the ssd after formatting and it immediately blue screens?
Which sata ports are you using?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osea23 View Post

If you installed windows in IDE mode, then it is possible to change it to AHCI and still successively boot up.
Read here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
I think you can boot into safe mode and run the utility.
Yup that is one of the things I have tried but it does not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jach11 View Post

Well thats weird. So you try booting up with the ssd after formatting and it immediately blue screens?
Which sata ports are you using?
I took the SSD out of the box and tried installing windows 7 on in AHCI but I kept getting that blue screen and could not get Windows 7 to install so I changed the controller type to IDE and it worked, but I obviously wan it to be in AHCI. Also the blue screen was literally a split second ebfore it restarted so I could not see what it said.

and I am using Sata 3

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whowhodilly View Post

Yup that is one of the things I have tried but it does not work.
I took the SSD out of the box and tried installing windows 7 on in AHCI but I kept getting that blue screen and could not get Windows 7 to install so I changed the controller type to IDE and it worked, but I obviously wan it to be in AHCI. Also the blue screen was literally a split second ebfore it restarted so I could not see what it said.
and I am using Sata 3
yea thats usually what happens when the registry isn't set properly. So when you set the regedit setting it tells you that bootmanager is missing? Have you tried to repair it?

·
Silicone Overload
683 Posts
When you formatted your SSD did you create a partition for the boot manager? Usually it's only 100mb or so but if it's missing that would give you the error. I had to unplug all of my other hard drives, reformat my SSD and reinstalled Win7 to get it to work.

·
Premium Member
20,744 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,744 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jach11 View Post

think he already tried that
then it could be another drive plugged in during win install like you said.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithrandir8 View Post

When you formatted your SSD did you create a partition for the boot manager? Usually it's only 100mb or so but if it's missing that would give you the error. I had to unplug all of my other hard drives, reformat my SSD and reinstalled Win7 to get it to work.
I remember seeing this when I installed however I was told it was not needed so I deleted it. This could be my problem but why would IDE still work and not ACHI?
*Also I still couldnt even get to this point when I had AHCI selected, I had to change to IDE before I could even get to the screen where I select where to install my hard drive

And I have a 2 Tb hard drive also connected but i did not format or even have that one plugged in when I installed the OS. That one is not even in my boot order I just use it for storage essentially

·
Premium Member
4,508 Posts
So format again but dont delete the 100mb partition for the boot manager and make sure you have ahci selected in your bios and not ide. This is just the easiest way to do it rather than doing the repair.If you want to repair just boot up from the dvd like usual but select repair instead of install.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would have done that a while ago but when I first installed windows I could not even get to that part without changing it to IDE first. That is why I am hesitant to do it. I guess I have tried everything else though

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Where's Sean Webster when you need him?
biggrin.gif

Are the disks basic disks or dynamic disks? I accidently formatted a drive to dynamic, and it gave me lots of problems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
New problem.....I reinstalled windows 7 and had ahci selected and didn't delete the 100 mb partition however when I install my drivers and need to restart it won't boot because the proper boot device is not selected so I go into bios and it is not recognizing my ssd as a boot option (which I installed os on)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.