Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im a bit new to this so Im a little confused on the procedure on this.

I recently bought an Intel X25-V 40gb SSD to install the OS to. I installed Windows 7 64 bit and that was that.

However, Im reading up on a few things and it looks like I needed to first go into my bios to enable AHCI mode first and then install the OS? Also, by not setting AHCI mode I am not able to get TRIM on the drive either?

Did I screw up by not going into the bios first and setting it to AHCI mode?

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
The easiest way to do things is just as you've found out - to enable AHCI first and then install the OS.

If you install in one mode (IDE / AHCI) then switch to another, when Windows boots it'll freak out and you'll get a bluescreen.

There's a registry workaround for this though, so if you've already installed Windows in IDE mode all is not lost. You'll just have to Google the fix and be sure to follow the steps.

Edit: Here's a link:

Quote:

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I havent really done too much since the install so reinstalling wouldnt be too big of a deal.

I do however have an IDE dvd drive- Am I going to run into problems by setting AHCI mode with the IDE drive?

·
Registered
220 Posts
AHCI is SATA only. Your IDE Drive will continue to work as it has been, or the port will be disabled if the same controller is handling both IDE and SATA channels.

I did this to myself on an Asus P5B and it took me about 2 hours to figure out where the hell my DVDR went...then I noticed it wasn't being detected on boot.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Eskaryo, how did you fix the issue as I have the same thing happening on the MB. When I switch to AHCI the other sata drives are gone, not showing on bios anymore. I understood that first you need to have the ssd on a separate power rail than the rest of the drives, but still the issue remains even I have isolated the ssd on it's own power rail. How do I get to still use the rest of my drives if they are not detected in bios?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.