Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my rig all set up with water cooling (the best water chill has to offer) and im running a 3.4 prescott at 4.1GHz but its not stable - my machine restarts randomly every so often it's so annoying when playing games. I have increased the vcore to 1.5 is this enough? i just don't want to damage my CPU!

Is there some kind of vcore guide out there to help? I'm just worried that giving it to much voltage will kill it, temperature isn't a problem, i also want to be able to get more speed out of it but i can't until i know it's stable at 4.1GHz
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Whats your ram voltage at? Chipset voltage?

You could stand to be at 1.55 or 1.6 MAX for 4+ Ghz...like you said, cooling is not an issue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
I thought mem voltage will cause BSOD instead of reboot? I have the same problem if I go 3.9 Ghz, that it'll reboot for no reason. What bugs me is that I have a 420W PS and with just 1 HDD, 1 DVD-R, and X850XT it should be plenty?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Jamieson

I have my rig all set up with water cooling (the best water chill has to offer) and im running a 3.4 prescott at 4.1GHz but its not stable - my machine restarts randomly every so often it's so annoying when playing games. I have increased the vcore to 1.5 is this enough? i just don't want to damage my CPU!

Is there some kind of vcore guide out there to help? I'm just worried that giving it to much voltage will kill it, temperature isn't a problem, i also want to be able to get more speed out of it but i can't until i know it's stable at 4.1GHz

Put it to 1.55v (what it took for me to get to 4.1ghz).
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Tatewaki

I thought mem voltage will cause BSOD instead of reboot? I have the same problem if I go 3.9 Ghz, that it'll reboot for no reason. What bugs me is that I have a 420W PS and with just 1 HDD, 1 DVD-R, and X850XT it should be plenty?

A good 420 should be fine for your setup.

mem voltage lack of or too much I believe DOES cause BSOD's...not 100% on it though.

Restarts are usually a lack of voltage to the cpu or chipset...occasionally overheating.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Xavier1421

A good 420 should be fine for your setup.

mem voltage lack of or too much I believe DOES cause BSOD's...not 100% on it though.

Restarts are usually a lack of voltage to the cpu or chipset...occasionally overheating.

I don't know if it applies to your board, but you may also want to try upping the AGP voltage to 1.6-1.7v. I needed to do this in order to get a stable 4.4ghz. Apparently it gives a little bit more voltage to the northbridge (dont know if thats true but it worked for me)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
I increased vcore till 1.55, but I still cannot break the 4Ghz wall. I can get 3.9Ghz to boot, but windows is very unstable. I heard max for prescott is 1.6v?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
Since I'm having a similar problem..
I can't get past 4.0Ghz with any Vcore so far, but when I try to boot at about 1.48, it won't even post... The strange thing is.. I just got a 34amp PSU and my temps (full load) are always under 45.. any ideas?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Tatewaki

I increased vcore till 1.55, but I still cannot break the 4Ghz wall. I can get 3.9Ghz to boot, but windows is very unstable. I heard max for prescott is 1.6v?

1.6v should be the very max...and only if you have very good cooling.

Have u tried increasing the AGP voltage as suggested in my previous post.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
840 Posts
Yes, increasing the AGP voltage has been known to provide some stability to an oced system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by xms

1.6v should be the very max...and only if you have very good cooling.

Have u tried increasing the AGP voltage as suggested in my previous post.

my system has PCIe. But I did try to increase the voltage to the PCIe video card. However it does not seem to help much
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Tatewaki

my system has PCIe. But I did try to increase the voltage to the PCIe video card. However it does not seem to help much

Ack, i have not jumped on the PCI-E bandwaggon yet, so i'm afriad i won't be much more help.

I think adas123 has a PCI-E system, so maybe PM him and see if he can help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:


Originally Posted by Xavier1421

Whats your ram voltage at? Chipset voltage?

You could stand to be at 1.55 or 1.6 MAX for 4+ Ghz...like you said, cooling is not an issue.

I tried not to overclock my ram until i tried to get past 4.1 then it passes the 1.33 multiplier, my chipset voltage ive had at everything lol even 1.6 at 4.1GHz even so when my processor is faced with a heavy load, particularly graphics then i get a reboot, maybe i need a new graphics card
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top