Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have the setup listed below. last week i overclocked to 3.0 and had a major system crash. after i pulled the battery and reset the cmos i got it working again, i believe that i over heated the nb chipset at that time. now i have it set to 2.58ghz 235fsb x 11 mulitplier, 1.425v. ram set at dr333 timing pretty much stock 2.75v thougth. now its freezing intermittently and this morning it wouldnt boot for me so i reset the cmos. but what do you think is my problem???? the board bad? or the ram holding me back????

·
Registered
639 Posts
that is a good board. Seems like it might need to be rma'd; sorry dude. As for the ram, yah it is holding you back, value stuff almost always does. And why would you spend $1000+ on your system and go cheap on the ram, might as well spend a coupe more bucs and get more out of your total performance.

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
You say pretty much stock... have you upped the vdimm, vcore and bridge voltage?

·
Registered
639 Posts
you said yourself you were able to get it to almost 3.0ghz before the first crash (really bad one), then 2.5 and more problems. Also " believe that i over heated the nb chipset at that time" - not a good sign. If that is true and from what else you have said, it might just be that your board is screwed up.

also "the board bad?" (both quotes from the original post). Might just be

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea when the bad crash happend, the nb chipset was hot to the touch. thats why i think that it overheated. so you think i should replace the board before i replace the ram?

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Well, if you can RMA the board for free, then do it.

Also I would suggest getting a northbridge cooler with a fan on it.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how do i go about rma'ing it? and i cant put a cooler on it because the vid card covers it! it has a passive type cooler on it but still, it gets warm.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts