Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey overclock, I recently returned to an old favorite of mine: SWG. I've never seen any talk of this MMO on overclock, so I thought I'd bring it up. Any of you guys play it before? I'm sure there's atleast a few veterans around here, but I'm just making a post to explain some news.

As I said before, I recently returned to the game with my guild because we absolutely hate every MMO on the market. With the recent failure of AoC and personal failure of WAR, we're back and getting ready for action on our one true love. As most of you know, The Old Republic MMO has been announced and it's stirred up quite a bit of emotion in the old SWG community. A lot of people are returning to the game, and trying to find the love for it they once had. Personally, I miss the old 32 professions but I find the NGE has more to offer than most people realize.

We're playing on the Bloodfin server, which is one of the few servers that are populated (Chilastra, Bloodfin, Bria), and we're patiently waiting on the free server transfer to shut down all of the smaller servers. Yes, that's correct, SOE will be offering a free server transfer for all characters in a couple months. So if you played SWG and are thinking of returning, that's a perfect opportunity to get back into the game.

To all you veterans that despise the NGE, trust me, I was right there with you. But the thing is, we shouldn't compare the NGE to pre-CU. You can't compare a god to a peasant. You have to compare it to WoW, WAR, AoC, FFXI, and all the other MMOs. SWG has way more to offer, and come on, it's Star Wars!

- World PvP (no instanced battlegrounds)
- Most in depth crafting system to date
- Player crafted economy. There are crafting professions. Armorsmiths, Weaponsmiths, Shipwrights, Chefs, Tailors, Droid Engineers. The weapons and armor are crafted from resources, and the quality of the outcome is based on the quality of the resource. Resources continuously spawn and change based on the rate they are extracted from the planet (via extractors or player foraging)
- Player housing, cities, completely customizable. Can design your houses however you want.
- A community that actually socializes. I remember when playing WAR, I had to beg people to talk and be social
- Some PvE instances to keep things interesting (not a very big PvE game, obviously)
- Amazing beast mastery system. Anyone can specialize into beast mastery. Pets are created via incubation. You extract DNA from a creature, insert it into an incubator along with lyase and hydrolase enzymes, and then insert isomerase enzymes while changing the incubator temperature to customize how you want the pet to look and his strengths. (It's a 3-5 day process)
- Player bounties. When you die in PvP, you will have the option to put a bounty on the head of the person who death blowed you. This bounty will then show up on the Bounty Hunter mission terminals, and will then be hunted by the Bounty Hunter class.
- Deathblow system. When your health reaches 0, you do not die. You are incapacitated for 10 seconds. While you are on the ground, your attacker will have the choice to allow you to live or death blow you. If you stand back up from the incapacitation, you'll have a short debuff that will kill you if you're incapacitated again in that duration.
- Speeders. You can get a speeder from level 1. Speeder bikes, Swoop bikes, AV-21, AT-RT, BARC, Jetpack, many more.
- Space. There is a completely different game built into SWG, and that is called Jump to Lightspeed. Every major city has a Starport, and you can use this starport to buy tickets and travel via NPC space ship, or your own spaceship. You can launch into space, mine, battle (space pvp and pve), and set coordinates to jump to lightspeed and reach the far ends of the galaxy. Some people play SWG and never see the ground, while some people play SWG and never see space.

Please, feel free to express any feelings you have towards the game. I understand many people love it, hate it, and don't know it. SWG is by far the best MMO I have ever played, and until people look past pre-cu, they'll never see the light at the end of the tunnel.

www.foundation-stone.net

·
Registered
227 Posts
you know, i loved this game pre cu, i played it for a month straight and it was the first mmo i ever played. nothing was as good afterwards, and i even looked into a private server but that just didn't happen. when i came back to swg, i had no idea what was going on, and i felt like i was stripped of anything i had going on, and should just be a jedi. i really love star wars, but i felt that the whole picking to be a jedi thing blew it for me when i thought at this point in the star wars timeline, jedi were hard to come by.

i really liked the jump to lightspeed thing, but i would have liked to have seen a TON of people flying around with me instead of just killing groups of random ships.

i would really like soe or lucas make a newer star wars mmo, you mentioned old republic mmo, that seems cool.

i been playing war, and i'm not at the end so i don't know how it is. i'm really waiting for diablo 3.

i would say pre-cu, swg was the best mmo i ever played. i played it by myself and had so much fun, whereas games like wow i had to play with friends or i wanted to shoot myself.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by wufuhimself View Post
you know, i loved this game pre cu, i played it for a month straight and it was the first mmo i ever played. nothing was as good afterwards, and i even looked into a private server but that just didn't happen. when i came back to swg, i had no idea what was going on, and i felt like i was stripped of anything i had going on, and should just be a jedi. i really love star wars, but i felt that the whole picking to be a jedi thing blew it for me when i thought at this point in the star wars timeline, jedi were hard to come by.

i really liked the jump to lightspeed thing, but i would have liked to have seen a TON of people flying around with me instead of just killing groups of random ships.

i would really like soe or lucas make a newer star wars mmo, you mentioned old republic mmo, that seems cool.

i been playing war, and i'm not at the end so i don't know how it is. i'm really waiting for diablo 3.

i would say pre-cu, swg was the best mmo i ever played. i played it by myself and had so much fun, whereas games like wow i had to play with friends or i wanted to shoot myself.
Trust me, you're not the only one in that boat. Half of our guild has never played the NGE, and they're in a foreign world. I've helped many of them set their UI up to not only look like pre-cu, but play like pre-cu. I absolutely hate the default NGE controls and would never be able to play with them. That's one reason why most veterans quit right off the bat.

After the UI and controls are fixed, you really have to relearn the game. Half of our guild is completely oblivious to everything they have waiting for them in the NGE, but soon they'll understand.

Unless SW:TOR offers a hardcore pvp server, I most likely won't play it for a long period of time. I'll probably take a break from SWG, beat the SW:TOR storyline (that's right, it's a story based MMO with "companion" characters like kotor had) and go right back to the game I love.

·
Registered
227 Posts
if it was free i would play, if they did a revamped version of the game (pre cu) (which god knows they won't), i would buy the game again and get all my friends to play.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I dunno.. I beta'd this game and played with a large group from beta on for a year or so after opening night. They made some bad decisions that cause ALL of those friends to leave the game. I played and enjoyed it because of that group. I recently recieved an email saying they have reactivated my account(s) so I installed the game and am looking it over now. I am on Chilastra though.. (so there are only 3 pop'd servers now?) I haven't seen a lot of ppl, which is kind of a let down. 5 years, you know.. does some things to an MMO. We quit right before the space expansion. Honestly, I don't see a lot of difference. With the exception of a newer right and being able to run into town without it freezing and loading for a couple seconds, it feels (mostly) the same as when I left.

I returned to Eve Online, which is quite a bit in-depth and also space/pvp oriented. Hard to pull me away from that one.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
:dI'll get back on, its like smoking I can never really quit. I have guys on shadowfire and Bria. Let me know if your still on though...

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Free Character Transfer will begin at 12:01AM PST on January 13, 2009. We're on Bloodfin.

·
Goodbye
10,269 Posts
Ahhh memories, I played that game for four years but it just died off really. I was on Eclipse, one of the less busy servers.

At least SW:TOR shouldnt be too far off.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The only thing SW:TOR will have close to SWG is Star Wars.

Completely different time line, game design, character play, and player goals.

Story based MMO compared to a sandbox MMO.

I'll play it just to beat KOTOR 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10.

Then I'll move on.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by phain
View Post

Hey overclock, I recently returned to an old favorite of mine: SWG. I've never seen any talk of this MMO on overclock, so I thought I'd bring it up. Any of you guys play it before? I'm sure there's atleast a few veterans around here, but I'm just making a post to explain some news.

As I said before, I recently returned to the game with my guild because we absolutely hate every MMO on the market. With the recent failure of AoC and personal failure of WAR, we're back and getting ready for action on our one true love. As most of you know, The Old Republic MMO has been announced and it's stirred up quite a bit of emotion in the old SWG community. A lot of people are returning to the game, and trying to find the love for it they once had. Personally, I miss the old 32 professions but I find the NGE has more to offer than most people realize.

We're playing on the Bloodfin server, which is one of the few servers that are populated (Chilastra, Bloodfin, Bria), and we're patiently waiting on the free server transfer to shut down all of the smaller servers. Yes, that's correct, SOE will be offering a free server transfer for all characters in a couple months. So if you played SWG and are thinking of returning, that's a perfect opportunity to get back into the game.

To all you veterans that despise the NGE, trust me, I was right there with you. But the thing is, we shouldn't compare the NGE to pre-CU. You can't compare a god to a peasant. You have to compare it to WoW, WAR, AoC, FFXI, and all the other MMOs. SWG has way more to offer, and come on, it's Star Wars!

- World PvP (no instanced battlegrounds)
- Most in depth crafting system to date
- Player crafted economy. There are crafting professions. Armorsmiths, Weaponsmiths, Shipwrights, Chefs, Tailors, Droid Engineers. The weapons and armor are crafted from resources, and the quality of the outcome is based on the quality of the resource. Resources continuously spawn and change based on the rate they are extracted from the planet (via extractors or player foraging)
- Player housing, cities, completely customizable. Can design your houses however you want.
- A community that actually socializes. I remember when playing WAR, I had to beg people to talk and be social
- Some PvE instances to keep things interesting (not a very big PvE game, obviously)
- Amazing beast mastery system. Anyone can specialize into beast mastery. Pets are created via incubation. You extract DNA from a creature, insert it into an incubator along with lyase and hydrolase enzymes, and then insert isomerase enzymes while changing the incubator temperature to customize how you want the pet to look and his strengths. (It's a 3-5 day process)
- Player bounties. When you die in PvP, you will have the option to put a bounty on the head of the person who death blowed you. This bounty will then show up on the Bounty Hunter mission terminals, and will then be hunted by the Bounty Hunter class.
- Deathblow system. When your health reaches 0, you do not die. You are incapacitated for 10 seconds. While you are on the ground, your attacker will have the choice to allow you to live or death blow you. If you stand back up from the incapacitation, you'll have a short debuff that will kill you if you're incapacitated again in that duration.
- Speeders. You can get a speeder from level 1. Speeder bikes, Swoop bikes, AV-21, AT-RT, BARC, Jetpack, many more.
- Space. There is a completely different game built into SWG, and that is called Jump to Lightspeed. Every major city has a Starport, and you can use this starport to buy tickets and travel via NPC space ship, or your own spaceship. You can launch into space, mine, battle (space pvp and pve), and set coordinates to jump to lightspeed and reach the far ends of the galaxy. Some people play SWG and never see the ground, while some people play SWG and never see space.

Please, feel free to express any feelings you have towards the game. I understand many people love it, hate it, and don't know it. SWG is by far the best MMO I have ever played, and until people look past pre-cu, they'll never see the light at the end of the tunnel.

www.foundation-stone.net

If you wanna play the old Star Wars Galaxies Pre-CU version, there's a test server and emulator being made over at http://www.swgemu.com. I play on it alot.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
I once turned down $5k for my character. It sickens me to think back of how badly that game was botched. It easily could've been one of the greatest games of all time. Looking at what they did to it, it's hard to believe any of them are still employed in the industry.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472
View Post

I once turned down $5k for my character. It sickens me to think back of how badly that game was botched. It easily could've been one of the greatest games of all time. Looking at what they did to it, it's hard to believe any of them are still employed in the industry.

It was the greatest game of all time until SOE listened to the 2k-3k of people whining about how unbalanced the game was because they kept dieing and not to the other 400k subscribers they had that weren't complaining but as we know SOE, like the FCC consider every person whining to speak for 1 million people. So in their opinion 2-3 million people were whining about it being unbalanced even though they never actually broke 1 million subscribers.......

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Oh I miss the old SWG days. I was one of those bastard BHs that would sit in the middle of Coronet with a pre-nerf (I forgot the name) pistol. I would one shot people with eye shot haha. I sold that account then returned and started a Merc/Pistoleer then started a new BH/rifleman and then switched it too a CM/rifleman when killing Jedi got old.

Pre CU was awesome. Post CU took a little getting used too, but I actually thought it was better. Then I heard about the NGE and quit before I was disappointing. From what I heard, I made the right choice. I'll def. be picking up The Old Republic, though. Let's hope UBI can make a decent MMO.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I started playing SWG at launch and played consistently up until the NGE. Since then I have played WoW, EQ2, Lotro, and Warhammer but have yet to find anything that matches SWG in its glory days. I think I miss the community most of all. Our guild had its own town/mall etc...people couldn't hide behind numerous alts unless they had multiple accounts so your reputation meant a little more. I have tried it a few times since then when they offer free time..it seems to have gotten better but all my friends no longer play so I usually just hit the bazaar looking for bargains and log out. I started out on Wanderhome but now I mainly mess with my Bria toons. Before the NGE I was a Master Smuggler/ TK/Pistoleer build which translated to a level 60 post NGE
...I think he is around level 70 now.

·
Old C-130 Guy
4,995 Posts
Our group that was playing Neocron for a couple years left it at launch of SWG and played there for an few months.

·
Totally New to OCN
10,627 Posts
First release SWG was great, I had a Brawler Sniper pet master Hybrid that basically killed anyone anytime without fail.

Heck i would run aroudn without any armor whatsoever and have no issues.

Switched over to BOunty hunter n Killed me a few Jedi after they started popping up.

Our Guild had a great City and we had the server on lock down for the most part.

But it was a terribly boring game. I do not know wha it is like today, but I did not care for it at all to be honest even back then.

Afterwards I hear the game was ruined by the next Upgrades and expansions.

I think If you gave Warhamme Online an Honest Chance you woul dhave enjoyed yourself, but instead you cried because people were busy trying to lvl and get into RvR rather than BS about nothing with you..

Come to Iron Rock, Join Destruction, and do /who Sinister Swarm

We will give you a home and T4 Battles with 400+ people at a time

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StormX2 View Post
Switched over to BOunty hunter n Killed me a few Jedi after they started popping up.
I might be getting your timeline wrong, but if you're still referring to the original SWG before any updates, Jedi were much stronger than any Bounty Hunter build. Without exaggerating, I could go afk and take a wizz and come back and still be alive if you were attacking me. Not sure if you ever got to fight a Guardian back then, but your combat log would look like this.....miss,miss,miss,miss,miss

·
Banned
3,369 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sccr64472 View Post
I might be getting your timeline wrong, but if you're still referring to the original SWG before any updates, Jedi were much stronger than any Bounty Hunter build. Without exaggerating, I could go afk and take a wizz and come back and still be alive if you were attacking me. Not sure if you ever got to fight a Guardian back then, but your combat log would look like this.....miss,miss,miss,miss,miss

He probably means he stumbled upon a brand new Jedi testing out his lightsaber with a LS TEF on.

Either that, or he's even MORE confused and played after Jedi Player Bounties were implemented... at which point we were already Jedi-flooded.

Either way... God damn you SOE.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts