Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, well yesterday i purchased a Sapphire HD7970 and was upgrading from what i ahve now HD5970 + HD5850CF.
And the thing is that i saw a benchmark of the HD7970 in 3DMARK11 Extreme settings and the card got X2376 score while my current GPU settup got X3663 score, should i cancel my order and keep what i have?.

Questions:

1. While gaming with what i Have right now in some games it feels kinda choppy even though i have relatively high FPS from 80-100+ what could be the cause of this?.

2. Might a HD7970 play more smooth at lower FPS than my current settup? I mean like if HD7970 is at 30fps would it feel smoother than what i ahve now with 30fps?

3. I might get another HD7970 for CF later on so would this outperform what i currently have?.

Thx alot guys
smile.gif

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,139 Posts
Morning mate,

Well you've gone from an epic setup to something that just won't be on par with it. Unless you are seriously considering getting a second 7970 there isn't much point in this upgrade at all, if anything it will be a downgrade.

You'll have more horsepower with your Xfire setup than you would with your single GPU.

I'd say cancel the order or sell what you have and buy two. If I remember rightly, I had a similar conversation with someone who was going from GTX470's in SLi going to a single 580, yes you'll not have the issue of microstutter but you'll also loose performace in the long run.

Comps

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Hey man,

I must express my lack of sympathy...

You're going from a QUAD fire set up to a single new gen card... you'll be VERY hard pushed to find anything with the current horse power you have...

I doubt 2 of them would encroach of the power you have, maybe it would be on par but by a negligable amount..

The only limitation i can see is the quadfire driver compatability, but as you've cited a synthetic bench that shouldn't be a major problem,

If i was in your situation i'd keep the card you've just bough, sell the others and get another,

Good luck man, i know how we can all be on the buy now button!!!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do not have quadfire i think it's trifire? HD5970=2xHD5870 or x2 HD5850. with another HD5850 added to it HD5970 + HD5850.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiven122 View Post

I do not have quadfire i think it's trifire? HD5970=2xHD5870 or x2 HD5850. with another HD5850 added to it HD5970 + HD5850.
Your sig makes it seem like you had a 5970, and TWO 5850s. I think it's the CF after the 5850 that does it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Yeah looked like a quadfire set-up with the 5850CF hehe
smile.gif

If you buy a single 7970/50, you'd have to start paying heating bills
thumb.gif

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok guys to set things staright i have HD5970 + HD5850 and will a HD7970 be better? or should i wait for HD7990 and cancell my HD7970?.

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Quote:

Hello guys, well yesterday i purchased a Sapphire HD7970 and was upgrading from what i ahve now HD5970 + HD5850CF.
And the thing is that i saw a benchmark of the HD7970 in 3DMARK11 Extreme settings and the card got X2376 score while my current GPU settup got X3663 score, should i cancel my order and keep what i have?.
Questions:
1. While gaming with what i Have right now in some games it feels kinda choppy even though i have relatively high FPS from 80-100+ what could be the cause of this?.
2. Might a HD7970 play more smooth at lower FPS than my current settup? I mean like if HD7970 is at 30fps would it feel smoother than what i ahve now with 30fps?
3. I might get another HD7970 for CF later on so would this outperform what i currently have?.
Thx alot guys
smile.gif
microstutter
yes
yes, definitely

I'm going from 6950s to a single 7970 just to get rid of CFX

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
Quote:

Ok guys to set things staright i have HD5970 + HD5850 and will a HD7970 be better? or should i wait for HD7990 and cancell my HD7970?.
Do not cancel your order. You'll get better tesselation performance and overall higher minimum fps so it will feel more fluent in games. You should note that it is by far harder to schedule workload over 3 GPUs than a single GPU. Also overclocking should fix quite a bit of your horsepower loss over the tri-fire setup
wink.gif

·
Registered
4,087 Posts
I really dont think you will truely know until you try it....if you keep the packaging and reciept in good condition cant you just send it back if it doesnt meet your expectations? That way you can 'try it out'
wink.gif
Otherwise if your anything like me, u'll cancel it and in a few weeks u'll be wondering if you made the right choice and you will want to order one again!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well then i will get the HD7970, i never really know what microsluttering was, so that is the reason for some games to feel choppy even with 100+ fps?.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
sell all your graphics card and cancel your order

instead, get a used unlocked 2x HD 6950 2GB about ($230-250 a piece)

would be faster than 7970 and have better drivers and support than your current setup

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,844 Posts
Hmm, it's a tough call. As already mentioned, if you plan to go CF with 7970, go for it. I don't think the real world performance would be too far off. CF scales good with 2 cards and after that, it's barely worth it. You shouldn't have microstutter much either, odd number of cards seem to help reduce stuttering a lot. You'd look at 7970 game benchmarks and bench the game at the same settings yourself to see the difference. Then decide, I don't think there will be trifire vs 7970 comparison on sites yet
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, i think i rather want a HD7970 alone than what i have right now, games feel too choppy compared to the framerate fraps are telling me and i will get another one later on, the only thing that is making me think now is, if i should wait for the HD7990 to come out.
rolleyes.gif

·
Looking Ahead
13,043 Posts
Quote:

Well, i think i rather want a HD7970 alone than what i have right now, games feel too choppy compared to the framerate fraps are telling me and i will get another one later on, the only thing that is making me think now is, if i should wait for the HD7990 to come out.
rolleyes.gif
Prices are definately really high right now. I think the 7970 can and will be quite a lot cheaper by the time the 7990 is here. There's even talk about a 7970 refresh right now.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
It's not even a question of whether the card will play every game on Ultra. I mean it is 25- 30% faster over all then a 580 and 35- 40% faster than a 6970.
Even if you lose a couple of fps it's still a win in my book. There's not a game it can't handle. On top of that like people were saying get out of crossfire right now until they fix it.
Way to many people are having shutter with crossfire.
Man you made the right chose enjoy it!!!!!!!!

·
Padawan Overclocker
2,844 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The price is not a problem, but what was that HD7970 refresh talk?
tongue.gif

i am very picky when it comes to fps i do need to have it over 60fps min.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts