Votes: 10 29.4%
  • Other

Votes: 4 11.8%
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All, Come april its time to replace my current cooler unfortunatly since i bought it the thread holes instantly perished and with the heat in my flat im not sure its the right choice or somethign out there is better choice.

Ambient Temps - 20-25C Winter 30-35C Summer Time Doors Open

My Current AIO is Cooler Master Sedion 240M, Stock Temps Idle 30-35C Load 45-60C Depending on use at time

Im looking for a AIO Suggestion or Air to best deal with the high Ambient temps and keep system cooled. My Usual system temps sit at 35c inside the case also with the fans set at 50% Current case is Corsair 540 Air

Thanks In Advanced

·
Sir Loin
779 Posts
well your not going to see a difference. Ambient temp is ambient temp. the only thing that truly combats ambient temps is a custom loop with a water bong cooler attached. which can be vary hands on. heres a thread on it http://www.overclock.net/t/1503843/my-bong-cooler-build-log-evaporative-cooling. there are other threads too just search OCN for water bong and it will pull them up. but i you just want a newer better AIO loop grab a Enermax LIQTECH 240.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Essentially there isn't a lot of difference between the 2 in performance... I personally use AIO's as I move my PC in the boot of my car every other month or so, however they are more expensive.

AIO Pros:
-'Safer' during transit
-More aesthetically pleasing (arguably)
-Easier to do more clean builds
-Heat goes right out of the case

AIO Cons:
-More expensive for no improved performance
-Can leak (although I don't feel this is an issue anymore as the tech has improved)
-Pump failure

Air Pros:
-Some prefer how they look
-Few components to go wrong

Air Cons:
-Take up waaaaay more room, RAM and mobo heatsink issues
-If you will fill all your fan slots anyway, you'll have to spend more money on fans (a bit of a flakey argument, but is something that would influence me, as 2 additional fans is an extra £20-30 which could make up the difference for the AIO)
-Heat is dumped inside the case
-Less portable/mobo strain

Essentially its up to you, if you have a huge ATX case and don't move it air cooling is a good option, especially in a work environment, the 540 is the 540 air for a reason
wink.gif

·
Pinoy po mga koya
7,528 Posts
tbh I think you should stick with that cooler. you can't get much of an upgrade with a seidon 240M unless you go custom water

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffieneKing View Post

Essentially there isn't a lot of difference between the 2 in performance... I personally use AIO's as I move my PC in the boot of my car every other month or so, however they are more expensive.

AIO Pros:
-'Safer' during transit
-More aesthetically pleasing (arguably)
-Easier to do more clean builds
-Heat goes right out of the case

AIO Cons:
-More expensive for no improved performance
-Can leak (although I don't feel this is an issue anymore as the tech has improved)
-Pump failure

Air Pros:
-Some prefer how they look
-Few components to go wrong

Air Cons:
-Take up waaaaay more room, RAM and mobo heatsink issues
-If you will fill all your fan slots anyway, you'll have to spend more money on fans (a bit of a flakey argument, but is something that would influence me, as 2 additional fans is an extra £20-30 which could make up the difference for the AIO)

Essentially its up to you, if you have a huge ATX case and don't move it air cooling is a good option, especially in a work environment, the 540 is the 540 air for a reason
wink.gif
Thank you for that, and yes it is named air for reason but i think tbh my fans are also issue im still using the stock fans came with case that arent to be fair brilliant in pushing air thourgh my case. Also i used to have tower cooler and yes it performed better by about 2C on idle but the space took up was just such a restriction over my RAM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprovido View Post

tbh I think you should stick with that cooler. you can't get much of an upgrade with a seidon 240M unless you go custom water
I have debated custom in the past but i personally have no experience in part listing for loops i have seen some great builds with my case due to the dual chamber facility. i will replace it due to i only got literally 3 screws holding it too my case due to the thread not biting the screws. would there be a improvement though much in temps with the full loop as still the heat dump for GPU if i didnt include it in loop

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
240M is very good cooler, like really good and really silent! Stick with it.

I doubt the best air cooler can match it in performance.

In my experience, air cooler only competes against the best AIO in open air casing. Once in a normal casing, the breaking point of their heat transfer is much lower than AIO.

In other words, it may keep your CPU cool and competitive until a certain degree and stress duration, once past that, its heat transfer will breakdown and will lose out to the best AIO by 3-8 degrees easily.

AIO transport the heat away from your case.

Aircooler circulates it inside!

That is why Asus recommends 2x120mm AIO minimum when OC HWE!.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I cant disagree is does hold its own it held 70C at 4.6Ghz OC on my 4690K but the fans broke in 1 week obviously the initial fitting experience wasn't the best. i appreciate your input but i mounted it top case so the worry is it will eventually fall.

Obviously i eventually would like to put GPU on AIO or Under water which i could use a single 140MM rear my case.

Does Push & Pull config actually make difference on a AIO?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Air cooling hands down! Either go air for full WC loop. The only preassebled you should consider is the Swiftech H220x or H240x.

Air coolers will give equal or better temps than AIO, they cost less, much more reliable (I had 2 AIO pumps die on me), and here is a big one, MUCH more quiet!

I will just leave this here (made by doyll)

The thread this is from is also worth a read, http://www.overclock.net/t/1531372/noctua-nh-d15-vs-aio-coolers/0_20

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEStorm View Post

Air cooling hands down! Either go air for full WC loop. The only preassebled you should consider is the Swiftech H220x or H240x.

Air coolers will give equal or better temps than AIO, they cost less, much more reliable (I had 2 AIO pumps die on me), and here is a big one, MUCH more quiet!

The thread this is from is also worth a read, http://www.overclock.net/t/1531372/noctua-nh-d15-vs-aio-coolers/0_20
Thank you for the Picture there storm may i ask why you suggest Air, obviously from my viewpoint the DBA are far lower but the load temps are fairly high compared to AIO for instance what i using now.

Would you mind elaborating on your statement.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Sorry I didn't look close enough at that one, look at this one, it seems like there is something wrong with the temps at stock on that one.

I went from a H100i with push/pull SP120 HPE PWM fans to a D14 SE2011 (PWM fans) with the i115x mount kit, and am much more happy. I had my original H100 die then my H100i, so first the reliability is key in my books. Second it is much more quiet! You get very similar temps at half the volume. That was enough for me to switch over.

·
Meeeeeeeow!
2,229 Posts
I voted air. Unless you are getting the Swiftech kits or the top Cooler Master kits, dual towers will provide better cooling for the noise. Neither air nor AIOs generally ship with good quality fans - usually you'll want to replace if best performance for noise is important.

There is also more points of failure - the fans can fail on air, but on the AIO kits, there's evaporation (which over time will kill the AIO), the pumps can die, the tubing can leak (very common), and there's also pump noise (they don't use the best quality pumps on those AIOs to keep the price low).

RAM is not an issue these days since most coolers have adjustment kits for that. I suppose width and clearance could be issues.

One disadvantage is perhaps space (depending on your motherboard you may lose the first PCI-E x1 slot for mainstream platforms.

I disagree with these two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaffieneKing View Post

Air Cons:

wink.gif
These two are not really that big of a deal. You could tie a fishing cable to the case and the cooler if needed. Motherboard strain does not seem to kill that many PCBs, certainly not nearly as dangerous as the risk of a leakage. So in a sense, yes it's an issue, but improbable. PCBs are quite strong and can take the mass, but not the liquid, so to speak.

Also, the part about the heat being dumped into the case - that's not accurate. Dual towers have fans pointing towards the rear. The hot air will go out of the rear exhaust fan just above the motherboard IO panel. The other problem neglected in this is that with AIOs, if you are using the top as an intake fan, then you run the risk of increasing the load temperatures of your GPUs by intaking cool air to cool the CPU and blowing down to the CPU. That's a drawback because if you are blowing hot air onto the GPU, then it will run hotter. Typically that is the hottest part of any system.

Basically, if you want superior performance, safety, and cost, go with a dual tower. Only the top end coolers like the Swiftech H240X offer better performance after adjusting for noise.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Sorry I didn't look close enough at that one, look at this one, it seems like there is something wrong with the temps at stock on that one.

I went from a H100i with push/pull SP120 HPE PWM fans to a D14 SE2011 (PWM fans) with the i115x mount kit, and am much more happy. I had my original H100 die then my H100i, so first the reliability is key in my books. Second it is much more quiet! You get very similar temps at half the volume. That was enough for me to switch over.
See now there i can see the difference better in DBA and obviously the Temps, thank you for the correction.

Obviously with full water loop i know will transfer heat better as i have space for 2 rads, but the cost behind it is quite a initial investment. i honestly haven't kept up with air coolers these days any suggestions to take look at?

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
@CrazyElf

I Used to own a Zalman Performa Dual Tower and yes your correct with the fans tunneling out the rear, im using a ATX board so the PCI issue wouldn't be a issue.

I was planning on 3 120mm Fans intaking come april when i get some decent ones and obviously if AIO stil current exhaust ontop, all im trying to achive is a balance of my cooling cause come summer times i dont want a jet sat in my sitting room just too keep gaming

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Quote:

Is this chart tested with a 'normal' PC case?

No doubt Aircooler is quieter on load, but my experience having gone from top aircooler to AIO to top aircooler and back AIO. Now waiting for a custom loop built.

I always found AIO being better a few degrees, in a normal casing use, and with higher end TDP processors like Intel X9 series.

Noise wise, if you put a TY143 high speed fan, then it is similar to AIO.

As for pump noise, unless you got a broken pump, it is impossible to hear them inside the case and away from you. Yes if you place your ears next to it, most AIO pump buzzes but when inside a case, CM and Swiftech are inaudible in my experience.

I vote for CM and Swiftech AIO. And the 240M is a great one, better than the best Aircooler in reviews.

·
Registered
674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trying to find new Swifttech AIO is impossible in the UK unfortunatly and i not seen the new ones from cooler master bare in mind, my entire case will have fans replaced with this little change also.

Im not sure if the internal case temp will effect anything in terms of results from either cooler.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts