Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What I did was backup the entire steamapps folder to another drives, and the reinstalled OS. I installed steam and copied over the steamapps contents (all 100+GB) booted up steam.

However it doesn't seem like Steam realizes the games are there. It just pretends nothing is installed. Any tips/ideas?

·
Premium Member
4,892 Posts
I copy my ENTIRE steam folder when I do it Seems to work everytime. Exact steps I do that works.
Backup entire steam folder from old pc to external drive.
Install Steam on new pc. Delete the steam folder it creates, then replace it with the backed up steam folder.
Open the steam installer again, And click the "repair" option. Once it goes thru that, you should be in steam with a full games list.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by macca_dj
View Post

How did you back them up just copy and paste or did you use the Steam backup system,

You should also be able to verify the game cache and then restart your Pc.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrThc
View Post

Just copy the steam apps folder, thats it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Capwn
View Post

I copy my ENTIRE steam folder when I do it Seems to work everytime. Exact steps I do that works.
Backup entire steam folder from old pc to external drive.
Install Steam on new pc. Delete the steam folder it creates, then replace it with the backed up steam folder.
Open the steam installer again, And click the "repair" option. Once it goes thru that, you should be in steam with a full games list.

Quote:

Originally Posted by T1nk3rb311
View Post

You can also "verify" the game cache and it will "find" the files if they are in the proper folders.

I recopied the entire folder but some of the apps are not there. Ie: TF2 has 500 mb there only so Ill have to reinstall most of it. Maybe I did it wrong. Anyways I'll try the repair option.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts