· H₂O Aficionado
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Steam sale started: Welcome to Steam

Examples include:

God of War - $38 CAD GMG; $45 CAD Steam
Horizon Zero Dawn - $20 CAD GMG; $25 CAD Steam
Spiderman - $45 CAD GMG; $52 CAD Steam

GMG usually competes with Steam Sale prices.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
So far I grabbed…

GMG:
Frostpunk - $6.80 CAD
The Evil Within - $5.31 CAD
The Evil Within 2 - $9.35 CAD
Horizon: Zero Dawn - $19.92 CAD
Deathloop - $22.70 CAD
Hitman 3 (Trilogy) - $37.31 CAD
Subtotal: $101.39 CAD

Steam:
Psychonauts 2 - $27.19 CAD
Outer Wilds - $17.39 CAD
Subtotal: $44.58 CAD

Total spend: $145.97 CAD
Total “savings”: $346.95 CAD

More than enough games for the next year +

· Registered
5,325 Posts
Knocked an indie game and a couple that are on the Oled recommended lists off my wishlist.

Font Screenshot Software Multimedia Electric blue

Something for under a fiver I recommend is loop hero, one of those pixel rogue lite RPGs but blended with auto play.

• Rep+
Reactions: Slaughtahouse

· H₂O Aficionado
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Might grab Hitman 3, Outer Worlds, or Days Gone but I need to sit on it; will come back to the store page tomorrow.

I’ve grabbed a few indies already this year, including loop hero. Only other major indie on my list is Rogue Legacy 2.

I was tempted to grab Chivalry II but can’t be bothered to play any MP games at the moment.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Update: So if you order on GMG, you gain “XP” which unlocks even more savings. Nothing mind blowing but when games are already cheaper, it helps.

Grabbed Hitman 3 (Trilogy) for $37CAD. It’s $45.50 steam for comparison.

· Registered
4,340 Posts
I liked The Outer Worlds, but a lot of people seem think it's a bit dumbed down compared to... well, Fallout: New Vegas. I just enjoyed the sci-fi setting. That said, it's on GOG, and since it's single player, might be better to buy it there (Christmas sale?)

Might get Persona 5 Royal. Total War: Warhammer 3 is still a bit pricy considering how much DLC usually costs for TWW games. They're really the only things I'm interested in right now.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I liked The Outer Worlds, but a lot of people seem think it's a bit dumbed down compared to... well, Fallout: New Vegas. I just enjoyed the sci-fi setting. That said, it's on GOG, and since it's single player, might be better to buy it there (Christmas sale?)

Might get Persona 5 Royal. Total War: Warhammer 3 is still a bit pricy considering how much DLC usually costs for TWW games. They're really the only things I'm interested in right now.
I started playing Outer Worlds on Game Pass with the free 1 month in... 2019. I really like it and I am a huge fan of both Fallout 3 and NV. I just know it's hard to get back into it.

I concur with Total War. I wanted to grab Three Kingdoms but it's hard for me to swap between strategy games vs. action / adventure type games. Year over year, my habits change. For strategy, I recommend Anno 1800. I think it's Ubisoft's best Anno to date. And I've heard Crusaders Kings 3 is fantastic too but all these strategy games are too dangerous for me. Factorio quickly took up a large chunk of my time during the pandemic.

Thanks for noting GoG, I'll add a link to the OP.

· Registered
4,340 Posts
I concur with Total War. I wanted to grab Three Kingdoms but it's hard for me to swap between strategy games vs. action / adventure type games. Year over year, my habits change. For strategy, I recommend Anno 1800. I think it's Ubisoft's best Anno to date. And I've heard Crusaders Kings 3 is fantastic too but all these strategy games are too dangerous for me. Factorio quickly took up a large chunk of my time during the pandemic.
I can't get into Three Kingdoms. I think the Warhammer games have spoilt me for the more historical Total War games except Shogun 2 (and even then, there is an old Paradox Interactive game called Sengoku which I play for the grand strategy aspect... it is absolutely tough as nails...)

I could never get into the Anno games. Bought a few over the years, quickly put them down.

Bit on Persona 5 last night. Started it but didn't get too far. More over the weekend if I get time I guess.

The modern Paradox games frustrate me no end. They're exactly the sort of game I like, but the DLC farming is ridiculous. I got Stellaris on a Humble Bundle years ago, but the endless DLC (which is not cheap) just makes me nope out. Europa Universalis IV and Crusaders Kings III suffer the same problem. I've not bought them because I refuse to support that sort of business model where you can spend 10x or more on the DLC than on the game...

· H₂O Aficionado
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can't get into Three Kingdoms. I think the Warhammer games have spoilt me for the more historical Total War games except Shogun 2 (and even then, there is an old Paradox Interactive game called Sengoku which I play for the grand strategy aspect... it is absolutely tough as nails...)

I could never get into the Anno games. Bought a few over the years, quickly put them down.

Bit on Persona 5 last night. Started it but didn't get too far. More over the weekend if I get time I guess.

The modern Paradox games frustrate me no end. They're exactly the sort of game I like, but the DLC farming is ridiculous. I got Stellaris on a Humble Bundle years ago, but the endless DLC (which is not cheap) just makes me nope out. Europa Universalis IV and Crusaders Kings III suffer the same problem. I've not bought them because I refuse to support that sort of business model where you can spend 10x or more on the DLC than on the game...
I don’t believe I’ve played any paradox strategy game but good to know.

With regards to Shogun 2… that’s my favourite. Rome comes in a close second. I wish Rome 2 wasn’t a disaster on launch. Left a bad taste on the series for me and haven’t touched it since. I’ll return, one day in the near future.

Font Poster Advertising History Event

I can respect the Anno decision, even if I disagree :) It’s a more mellow experience, good to decompress.

I grabbed Frostpunk because it seems like a different kind of strategy game. I have a lot of respect for 11bit studios, This War of Mine, and the work they do in Poland for the gaming industry.

Never touched Persona but I know it’s well regarded :)

· H₂O Aficionado
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

· Registered
892 Posts
I got Borderlands 3 from a 3rd party for steam for cheaper, I already bought the game years ago, but they kept adding seasons and expansions, and the upgrade was more than the cost of the game.

Just started playing it and can't believe how poorly this console game is optimised. I had an issue with black pixels filling up the screen and had to completely turn off volumetric fog?

But I'm just getting away with playing it on 4k with a couple of setting turned down. Also bought Control on special, never got around to playing it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Paradigm Shifter

· Registered
4,340 Posts
The concept of Control as a game is interesting, but it didn't hold my attention for very long as it just felt very repetitive. Borderlands 3 is.. well, Gearbox. The last good game they made was Opposing Force, which wasn't even a game but an expansion for one.

I'll wait for Christmas to buy anything else, I think.

· Registered
5,325 Posts
I've already bought a lot more titles since that I was wanting.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts