Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have steam aswell as Counter Strike Source installed in ubuntu, i can start up steam and select counterstrike source to run. the steam box opens saying its launching the program, but then the box dissapears and nothing happens....

Am i doing somthing wrong? does css not work with wine?

Any help appreciated thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Just gonna throw it out there, but it could be due to 32bit libs needing to be re-installed (this can happen due to xorg updates). If you are running Ubuntu you need to make sure the 32bit GLX is installed. You could try manually setting DX levels to DX81, or is it DX80? Oh Idk, it's one of the two, and see how well CS works then. The only other problem I've ran into is the wine prefix not being properly owned. I just do "chmod 755 /home/" and "chown /home/" just to make sure permissions are set. I've had it crash because they weren't. That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

·
Registered
334 Posts
This may be related to the still poor 3D acceleration in Wine. It is a direct X 9 title if I remember correctly, which requires winetricks to work with Wine. The problem may be from your graphics drivers: did you install the proprietary nVidia drivers off their site?

Please run Steam from the terminal, start counterstrike, and post back the terminal output/error messages. Its hard for us to help you out without knowing very much!

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchLinuxFTW;12039132
This may be related to the still poor 3D acceleration in Wine. It is a direct X 9 title if I remember correctly, which requires winetricks to work with Wine. The problem may be from your graphics drivers: did you install the proprietary nVidia drivers off their site?

Please run Steam from the terminal, start counterstrike, and post back the terminal output/error messages. Its hard for us to help you out without knowing very much!
It doesn't require winetricks at all. All the source based games should run with native Wine, no winetricks or hacks. It's been like that for a long time. I'm just saying this because most wine solutions should be done without winetricks first and then use winetricks as a last resort.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mushroomboy;12042021
It doesn't require winetricks at all. All the source based games should run with native Wine, no winetricks or hacks. It's been like that for a long time. I'm just saying this because most wine solutions should be done without winetricks first and then use winetricks as a last resort.
Sorry, I forgot that CS2 had a source port:doh:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchLinuxFTW;12049179
Sorry, I forgot that CS2 had a source port:doh:
css not cs2
tongue.gif
there is a reason its called counter strike source afterall...

·
Premium Member
6,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by EntTheGod;12049462
css not cs2
tongue.gif
there is a reason its called counter strike source afterall...
LOL, yeah I avidly play it so I've been used to wine and CS:S. I might go play it, I usually play GG though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts