Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my uni has free public wifi and I've been trying to get on Steam with no luck, so I'm assuming they've blocked the ports. SCII doesn't even work
frown.gif

Anyone know what free VPN/programs I could use to get around this? Already tried Hotspot Shield but it's never able to connect.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Noob responce, dont know if this works but cant you configure steam to run on different ports? :-| .XML file configs or somthing like that? lol

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjamesroe;11987500
Noob responce, dont know if this works but cant you configure steam to run on different ports? :-| .XML file configs or somthing like that? lol
There isn't any option in Steam to do that and there isn't any config file either AFAIK, but I'll google around lol.

Anyone else have any ideas?

·
Registered
706 Posts
Can't you just install it somewhere else and run it in offline mode? If you're just looking to play games, and nothing community or download related, that should work, I'd say.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Steam uses ports

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 4380

There is no way to change this.

These ports must be open on the router for steam to function propperly

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic;11988229
Steam uses ports

UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
UDP 4380

There is no way to change this.

These ports must be open on the router for steam to function propperly
No, those ports have to be open to host servers other people not on your LAN can join. I have those ports closed and Steam works fine.

The only setting Steam does not work with is DMZ, and I can almost guarantee your university does not have that on.

·
Banned
332 Posts
You could sign up for VPN, but most of them cost money. The free ones are generally laggy and suck balls. I recomend VyprVPN, been using it with good results

Other than that, you're pretty much out of luck according to my knowledge

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh I've already got steam installed and can play offline no problem. I'm just trying to get STeam or ANY game to work online/MP but it seems the wifi is super restrictive.

Sucks that there isn't any good free VPN alternatives though...oh well thanks anyway guys.

·
Registered
4,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallrocks;11988284
No, those ports have to be open to host servers other people not on your LAN can join. I have those ports closed and Steam works fine.

The only setting Steam does not work with is DMZ, and I can almost guarantee your university does not have that on.
It says that those ports are required open on steam's troubleshooting site...... Here is the link
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

so I am not sure why you think they do not need to be. OP I would believe the steam troubleshooting site before I would believe this......

If you read what it says each port range is for on the steam site link I gave you, you see that him saying "those ports have to be open to host servers" is completely wrong

Steam will function with no internet connection or all listed ports closed for offline only play but thats not the point......
rolleyes.gif

It also says at the bottom of the page
"Note:
Many university networks and proxies block required ports for Steam operation - please consult your network administrator to ensure the required ports are open if you are using a university network or a proxy. Ports required for Steam can not be re-mapped to HTTP or reconfigured to a custom port range."

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by killeraxemannic;11995181
It says that those ports are required open on steam's troubleshooting site...... Here is the link
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

so I am not sure why you think they do not need to be. OP I would believe the steam troubleshooting site before I would believe this......

If you read what it says each port range is for on the steam site link I gave you, you see that him saying "those ports have to be open to host servers" is completely wrong

Steam will function with no internet connection or all listed ports closed for offline only play but thats not the point......
rolleyes.gif

It also says at the bottom of the page
"Note:
Many university networks and proxies block required ports for Steam operation - please consult your network administrator to ensure the required ports are open if you are using a university network or a proxy. Ports required for Steam can not be re-mapped to HTTP or reconfigured to a custom port range."
I have those ports blocked. I can still connect to Steam fine.

It's not about what data is allowed in, it's about the data that's allowed out, and blocking that would be ridiculous.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts