Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I try to launch games like CS:S, TF2, Garry's Mod, and HL2, Steam says preparing to launch, then closes and nothing happens. Under processes, hl2.exe shows up but it's not running. Is there any way to fix this?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Verify game integrity, I always have to do this whenever I'm on a new OS and run it off my drive I used to play on.

Used to be like, what the hell, not working?

·
Registered
897 Posts
What I'm about to say is going to hurt,

but you're going to have to delete the specified game's files and redownload it.

Yes, it's a pain waiting for it.

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Go to program files (86x if you have it)>steam>steamapps>(your steam ID) and delete those folders of those games. Those are where preferences and downloaded maps/sounds are stored, so remember to back those up if you have a lot.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpammisT View Post

What I'm about to say is going to hurt,
but you're going to have to delete the specified game's files and redownload it.
Yes, it's a pain waiting for it.
Even if I just installed them yesterday?

And yes, I tried those and still nothing. Drivers for what exactly?

·
SpaceStationGaming
9,430 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjgrenke View Post

Even if I just installed them yesterday?
And yes, I tried those and still nothing. Drivers for what exactly?
Drivers for your 7970. I'm wondering if this could be a GPU specific issue. Did you have this problem before you got the 7970?

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmasteR View Post

Drivers for your 7970. I'm wondering if this could be a GPU specific issue. Did you have this problem before you got the 7970?
Oh, I just build my computer yesterday and I'm running integrated graphics until I get my 7970. So all games have never been played yet.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I had this exact problem and realized that my anti-virus at the time saw the process as an infiltration through the firewall. So I just made an exception to "hl2.exe" in the Steam folder and they loaded up fine after that. Might want to try that.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by exlink View Post

I had this exact problem and realized that my anti-virus at the time saw the process as an infiltration through the firewall. So I just made an exception to "hl2.exe" in the Steam folder and they loaded up fine after that. Might want to try that.
This worked. I read it in the help guide on the Steam support site and did it, but turns out I was doing it wrong
tongue.gif
FINALLY I can play my games. Thanks
thumb.gif
+rep

1 - 12 of 12 Posts