Overclock.net banner

Steam streaming looking for input.....

384 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  madbrayniak 
#1 ·
All,

Posted this in the sticky but didn't get much of a response.

Just moved into a small, less than 1000sqft, home.

I have a Caselabs M8 that I was planning to use as a server in the new house but now I am thinking I can go a step further and go to an all Streaming setup with gaming pc in garage.

To handle this I was looking at some of the dual CPU server motherboards with multiple Ethernet ports to try and have as low a latency as possible.

Plus, if I install UnRaid I can possibly have Linux running as well for a multiPS setup for gaming and server duties.

But what about a unit inside for just surfing the Internet? Do I have to go to a NUC type unit? Or maybe a RaspberryPI running Ubuntu or something?

I'm a pretty casual gamer, the most online gaming I do is TF2 and Rocket League.

What kind of performance can I get? Been searching to see if they are still working to optimize it further but not finding anything.

What's everyone's experience with info,e streaming?

Any input would be nice.

P.s. By putting my m8 in the garage for a game streaming of I can use the garage as a VR room in the future when prices come down....

See less See more
#2 ·
Well, I know that Nvidia has a few options-

Option 1)

Gamestream allows you to stream any games from your geforce powered PC to your NV shield/tablet

However, this only really works for SHILED/tablets made by Nvidia. :/

Option 2)

Wait for Nvidia GRID. Experimental and open beta (only in CA, iirc)

Option 3)

"GameStream Co-op
This release also brings a cool new feature called GameStream Co-op that lets you stream your game over the Internet to a friend and play together cooperatively - just as if your friend was sitting in the chair next to you. Using Gamestream Co-op, you can now get help on a tough level, play in co-op mode, or just do a real-time 1:1 live stream with your friend. It's fast, fun, and a whole new way to enjoy PC games."

-Nvidia website

#3 ·
We use the Steam Streaming stuff, quite a bit, at my house. What I have noticed, more than anything, is you either need to be wired or rocking a pretty nice wifi connection. 480mbps wasn't enough for me to have a lag free experience. 1gbit hardware is perfect, I can only tell there is any latency in really fast, action oriented games like fighting games... shooters are pretty seamless and anything slower will be unnoticeable.

This all depends on how well your gaming rig can actually play the game though, if it runs slow on that rig, its going to be the same experience on your streaming system.

I don't think a true server setup is necessary, at all. I don't even think teaming the NICs is going to get you much better response than a wired, in-house connection.

I also have to run at a lower resolution, than I do on my main rig. My tv is 1080p and I game at 1440p when I'm actually on the box. The machine I stream through is a really crappy laptop that my wife has had for 4 or 5 years. I have a soundblaster Xfi plugged in and it has digital connection to the living room receiver. HDMI directly from the laptop, to the tv. A Bluetooth dongle paired to a PS3 Dualshock controller, so I can sit on the couch and use the controller. It runs better than I had imagined, when I was setting it up.

#4 ·
alltheGHZ,

Appreciate the input but I am not looking at the Nvidia solutions because I don't like anything that is more "closed off"

Fadded,

Glad to hear you ahve had good experience. I don't play fighting games and if I ever get into it it will most likely be local play only. Right now the only FPS I play is TF2 but I am considering Overwatch but I am not really sold on it. I tried the Beta and it was "OK".

I really think I am going to look into going with an all game streaming setup.

All I would need in the family room is a Steam Link or something with similar abilities.

The bedroom i will probably try to go with a NUC or something for surfing the web and Office type applications.

I would honestly go to a Skull Canyon and then grab a external GPU Unit later on if it weren't for the high cost of it.

Any idea if HDR is supported by the Steam Link? I need to look into that.

#5 ·
I don't really play fighting games either, but those were the only thing I could find where the latency was JUST enough that it was a minor issue. Everything else I play, I may as well be sitting at my desk.

I have not been able to get my hands on a Link so I don't know what features it has and what peripherals it will support. I want to say I read that an Xbox controller will work on it, right out of the box, but I am not 100% on that.

I think that streaming your games, as a primary way to play them, is definitely an option. I have been happy with the experience.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by madbrayniak View Post

All,

Posted this in the sticky but didn't get much of a response.

Just moved into a small, less than 1000sqft, home.

I have a Caselabs M8 that I was planning to use as a server in the new house but now I am thinking I can go a step further and go to an all Streaming setup with gaming pc in garage.

To handle this I was looking at some of the dual CPU server motherboards with multiple Ethernet ports to try and have as low a latency as possible.

Plus, if I install UnRaid I can possibly have Linux running as well for a multiPS setup for gaming and server duties.

But what about a unit inside for just surfing the Internet? Do I have to go to a NUC type unit? Or maybe a RaspberryPI running Ubuntu or something?

I'm a pretty casual gamer, the most online gaming I do is TF2 and Rocket League.

What kind of performance can I get? Been searching to see if they are still working to optimize it further but not finding anything.

What's everyone's experience with info,e streaming?

Any input would be nice.

P.s. By putting my m8 in the garage for a game streaming of I can use the garage as a VR room in the future when prices come down....
I have streamed through OBS to Youtube and to Steam as well.

OBS to Youtube was probably the best, because it also saves your stream to Youtube for future review. You dictate the quality of the stream in OBS.

Lag depends on how fast your internet is. With 60 mb/s internet I had no issues playing, but it did double my latency from 40 to 92.

If someone was to use my internet too, it would be OVER

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by XLifted View Post
I think he is on about In-Home Streaming.
What about the Steam Link? Would that be any good for this scenario?

#9 ·
Yea, Steam Link, NUC, RaspberryPI are all options I am looking at. I do have good internet and plan to run Ethernet through the house.

I am considering a Corsair Lapdog or similar and I already have a steam controller.

My biggest concern is how well it will work. From what it sounds like, should be a good experience and they keep working on making it better

#10 ·
LinusTechTips did a review on the steamlink:

#11 ·
Just get an Nvidia Shield TV imo. It can pretty much do anything for the living room. It runs on Android so you can watch all the streaming apps. You can install Kodi, Plex etc. for streaming movies from thecomputer. You can stream games obviously, whether you choose Steam streaming or Gamestream or some 3rd party app.
I'm saving up for one.

#12 ·
I did look into the Shield.

The cost is pretty high on those especially since I am looking at setting up multiple access points inside the house for games.

I am going to make it so that I can game in the bedroom or in the family room so having cheaper boxes is going to be important.

Cheaper NUCs would be nice because you can get some that can actually drive a 4K display but having to have matching resolutions between desktop and streaming box means that 1080 is the only way to go right now for me.

I wonder if they will ever update that so that you can adjust the resolution based on the device you are playing on...

#14 ·
Quote:

The cost is pretty high on those especially since I am looking at setting up multiple access points inside the house for games.

I am going to make it so that I can game in the bedroom or in the family room so having cheaper boxes is going to be important.

Cheaper NUCs would be nice because you can get some that can actually drive a 4K display but having to have matching resolutions between desktop and streaming box means that 1080 is the only way to go right now for me.

I wonder if they will ever update that so that you can adjust the resolution based on the device you are playing on...
Oh I see. Yeah that sounds a lot more complicated. Running multiple instances of streams is definitely gonna need beefy hardware.

#15 ·
Quote:

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but I've been streaming steam to my living room TV through my office computer without changing settings just fine. My office machine is the Not as Poor sig rig. The living room box is the other. I have all my game settings at 1440p when playing in my office, but the game auto-changes to 1080 when being streamed.

So regarding resolution settings, I think you'll be OK with steam-related stuff.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SigTauMatt View Post

Not sure if I'm reading this right, but I've been streaming steam to my living room TV through my office computer without changing settings just fine. My office machine is the Not as Poor sig rig. The living room box is the other. I have all my game settings at 1440p when playing in my office, but the game auto-changes to 1080 when being streamed.

So regarding resolution settings, I think you'll be OK with steam-related stuff.
Cool, I was under the impression that you had to stream at what your PC monitor is set up for so if you had a 1440p monitor you could only stream in 1440p...

Glad I am wrong on that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.