Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
told me...
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Get a sneak peek into how it all starts with the demo version of FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION.
*Spec may differ from the product version.

Take the journey, now in ultimate quality. Boasting a wealth of bonus content and supporting Native4K(3840×2160px) ultra high-resolution graphical options and HDR 10, you can now enjoy the beautiful and carefully-crafted experience of FINAL FANTASY XV like never before.
*The main difference to the product version is that sub-quests have been disabled.

The download size for the FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION PLAYABLE DEMO is 21GB. The High-Res 4K textures are included in this demo and are turned on or off automatically depending on your hardware specification.
In the final product, High-Res 4K textures will be an optional download and can be toggled on or off by the user.
Please visit here for more details on the recommended hardware needed to optimally use these textures.

The FINAL FANTASY XV WINDOWS EDITION PLAYABLE DEMO is a preview of the full game. We will continue to work on all aspects to ensure FFXV WINDOWS EDITION will be a great experience for PC gamers.
The link is here http://store.steampowered.com/app/671210/
Game is also available on origin via "Try demo" button https://www.origin.com/pol/en-us/store/final-fantasy/final-fantasy-xv/standard-edition
Rumours say its also on windows store but i don't visit that place ever :F

I already played through whole demo, took me about hour/hour and half excluding crashing that ill talk about later. The demo offers large chunk of map and lets player explore a little of the world, there are two or few quests with most of them disabled for demo purpose. The demo generally ends after attempting to leave island and finding out about the fate of Insomnia. Not sure if its demo thing or not, but game will be full of spoilers for the Final Fantasy XV Kingsglaive movie so its recommended to watch it before starting game (or watching it right after you started game and got your car fixed as these things in movie happen in meantime).
We get to experience full fighting mechanics, from regular hand to hand combat, warping up to teamwork fighting. We get to give regalia a ride as well as we can use its auto-pilot mode. The bird riding tho is disabled for the demo :F

As for the crashing, its common issue (during first part of game), at first though its DX12/overlays but finally turning down all settings to minimum and then increasing after troublesome part fixed it. Second bug is audio breaking off in cutscenes and cinematics, its also known issue related to realtek audio cards (so pretty much majority of used in motherboards) and 2.0/2.1/5.1/7.1 audio configuration.
Game was run on GTX1080ti + i7-8700k on full max settings (VXAO is not avaliable in demo). The demo also contains 4k textures that are toggled on/off automatically. As for the controls, the menus are very keyboard oriented but once you get to game, fighting and moving around feels very smooth on mouse+kb combo.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Nice! Thanks for sharing. What did your FPS look like? Did it differ at all from the benchmark? I'll download when I get home and report my findings tomorrow.

·
184 Posts
So I've been playing for about a half hour, just tinkering with settings. I'm able to play on the highest setting so far with all the nvidia crap enabled. (i7 7700HQ, GTX 1070, 16GB DDR4-2666, 1080p @ 60Hz) I did find something interesting. At one point after fiddling with settings, my performance, though steady, was terrible. I disabled every setting I had messed with to no avail. Turns out that the in game FPS counter was the issue, go figure. Not sure if it's just me or not, but I figured I would throw it out there just in case someone else runs into the same issue.

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
Probably wont get the game until its finalized, but I'm very curious to see how it runs on my rig. I will report back!

·
Overclocking
9,248 Posts
cool i'll get it before it's too late

·
A title was here
4,118 Posts
This explains why the FF15 Game Ready Nvidia driver came out today.

·
waiting for Driver update
5,981 Posts
it was running smooth until i enabled ANSEL the game went crazy with the stuttering

·
Registered
625 Posts
Consistently crashes for me a couple mins into the demo while pushing the car even after installing game ready drivers. Can't figure out why, the entire tutorial section worked okay but that's just an enclosed environment not the entire open-world map. I will try turning down settings at beginning of demo as stated in the OP...

This is why I appreciate demo's... now I know to wait until the dust settles after post-release patching before plunking down; although with the way the benchmark turned out I already wasn't exactly planning a day-one buy.

·
Gaming enthusiast
836 Posts
Butter smooth for me with a 1800x and 1080ti. Playing with 4k and everything on except aa. Running around getting mid 50s to 60, heavy fights drop down to mid 40s. Very playable no crashes at all.

·
waifu for lifu
11,326 Posts
I was able to play a bit last night. Oddly, I could not change the res settings and possibly all the other vid settings. Maybe it was just my setup. I do like the open world aspect so far. The environment itself wasnt to my liking aesthetically (midwest U.S.). The soundtrack is amazing. The combat, from what little I played is very fun, so much more enjoyable than the traditional turn based. Some non jrpg fans might be tentative of the title, it seems the devs have made it painless for those uninitiated. Don't be scared of the hair!

·
Overclocked by Jesus
4,751 Posts
Was smooth for me at 4K with my 1080ti. Probably averaged around 50-55. Crazier stuff would dip into mid 40's. No crashes and it played smoothly enough, even at lower frames. This was not with the very latest driver.

·
told me...
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Consistently crashes for me a couple mins into the demo while pushing the car even after installing game ready drivers. Can't figure out why, the entire tutorial section worked okay but that's just an enclosed environment not the entire open-world map. I will try turning down settings at beginning of demo as stated in the OP...

This is why I appreciate demo's... now I know to wait until the dust settles after post-release patching before plunking down; although with the way the benchmark turned out I already wasn't exactly planning a day-one buy.

Yeah, my game was crashing like stupid too. At first i thought its RTSS/HWinfo overlay but not. After tinkering i made it through the car pushing by turning all graphic settings to minimum and then increasing them back to max when got to gas station.

Nice! Thanks for sharing. What did your FPS look like? Did it differ at all from the benchmark? I'll download when I get home and report my findings tomorrow.
The demo ran at slightly higher FPS than the benchmark.

·
Registered
232 Posts

This game is a VRAM eating machine! I had the same thing happen with the textures set to highest. I lowered it to high and the opening scene was perfect too. Give that a shot.

·
Registered
232 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Well I figured out what was crashing the game for me, any time I have "TRAM" set to "Highest" I get crashes as if my PC is low on memory. All other settings maxed (choosing the "Highest" preset actually leaves 1 or 2 options as "off" instead of "on" [ShadwoLib] or "high" instead of "highest" [can't remember which, "Lighting" I think...]).

Using X79 with 4930k @ 4.5ghz, 16GB RAM, Titan Xp, res is 3440x1440.

Performance seems okay otherwise... ranging anywhere from 60fps lows to 85-90fps highs, probably averaging somewhere in the 70's.

·
waiting for Driver update
5,981 Posts
As for the crashing, its common issue (during first part of game), at first though its DX12/overlays but finally turning down all settings to minimum and then increasing after troublesome part fixed it. Second bug is audio breaking off in cutscenes and cinematics, its also known issue related to realtek audio cards (so pretty much majority of used in motherboards) and 2.0/2.1/5.1/7.1 audio configuration.
Game was run on GTX1080ti + i7-8700k on full max settings (VXAO is not avaliable in demo). The demo also contains 4k textures that are toggled on/off automatically. As for the controls, the menus are very keyboard oriented but once you get to game, fighting and moving around feels very smooth on mouse+kb combo.
DX12 ? huh?!

1 - 20 of 69 Posts