Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any takers? I've messed around with steam just to pick it's brain but I'm not really sure what to do with impulse. Could someone give me the lowdown? As far as I can tell it not only does games but also window apps? I'm not a serious gamer and rather own physical property when it comes to buying games but if I see a sweet deal I can't pass up them I'll buy it.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Download it and look at it. It's not like it costs anything to get the program.

Impulse is just like Steam, but it hasn't matured yet. It's getting there though. Game choices though goes to steam.

·
Unimportant
17,772 Posts
I bought sins of a solar empire about 2 months ago, and ran into impulse(first time dealing with this kind of thing) and I am totally sold on it. I haven't run into a deal on a game I want on steam or I would consider it. The only nice thing that I have read about impulse vs steam is that you don't have to update your games on impulse to play.

·
Registered
749 Posts
i always like physical item better.

limited bandwidth ( i ain't downloading 5gb+ of files to see me finished before half the month is over)

pricing, if it ain't a good deal it ain't worth it. full price vs full price i can get the disc cheaper since steam is greedy now and everything is in USD and i'm from canada. so its pretty much 50CAD with the disc or 50USD with limited bandwidth.

to install from disc is faster

reputation (they already screwed over the europeans, us canadians, so?), look what they've done so far.

resell value, with the disc you might be able to, with steam don't expect to.

downtime, sometimes their server is hit with a storm, a power down, or a crazy protester shot all the works so the game disc is better.

one shot to lose it all (one hack to lose all your games at one time, if you want to feel any better, you can contact steam support and get it fixed, but it takes time)

habit, you teach yourself to accept the fact that your paying for something intangible. haven't you guys watch "till debt do us part".

your benefits:
convenience
good deals
one program to control all your games
steam friends

consider whats better to you, the game item or the game on steam. sometimes you gotta activate on steam with the game item so if the price is exactly the same why not get the disc too? if you got very fast internet then atleast you can use the game disc to throw at someone, no?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Steam does have the ups on the looks and feel. which I am just now messing with impulse. Also I was piddling around on steam and saw you can add non-steam games. I assume that one's games that haven't been purchased from steam, but all i can really get it to do is to load short cuts, which is nice considering I don't have to open the start menu if I already have steam open.

·
Banned
1,075 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillymansam
View Post

Steam does have the ups on the looks and feel. which I am just now messing with impulse. Also I was piddling around on steam and saw you can add non-steam games. I assume that one's games that haven't been purchased from steam, but all i can really get it to do is to load short cuts, which is nice considering I don't have to open the start menu if I already have steam open.

You also get the Steam overlay and your friends see what you are playing.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Desidero View Post
Download it and look at it. It's not like it costs anything to get the program.

Impulse is just like Steam, but it hasn't matured yet. It's getting there though. Game choices though goes to steam.
Pretty much summarizes it. I bought Demigod and had a hard time getting it to install correctly on Impulse. At first it wouldn't let me install from the disk, and when it finally did install it put half of the files into D:\\Games and the other half into D:\\<space>Games.

I haven't used Impulse since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts