Overclock.net banner
2781 - 2800 of 2805 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
mine is going wonky, bought it long ago like in feb 2014 and now the rubber side in bad condition also right click don't work properly anymore

still thinking what to replace it

·
Registered
505 Posts
Guys how is the rival compared to the ec1?

I had a Rival some years ago, and i remember it had a LOT of mouse bugs, making me jump when i didnt want too.

I tried ec1 and ec2, but the grip is not as good as the rival :/

Do you recommend the rival?

Also, the black is the one with the texture and prevents the sweat the most, right?

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got a new rival 300 recently, and yep, sensor jumps sometimes. I only get rid of the jumps on the old rival with old firmwares.

·
Mouse lover
2,899 Posts
The original rival the best is what it originally came with, updates are what really messed it up (firmware updates specifically)

·
Registered
505 Posts
So i got the original rival, its not the rival 300.

Whats the best sofware and firmware to put on it?

Also, can someone help me on upgranding the firmware?

·
Registered
454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinmrs View Post

So i got the original rival, its not the rival 300.

Whats the best sofware and firmware to put on it?

Also, can someone help me on upgranding the firmware?
150.0.0.0, came with Engine 3.14 or 3.2.1 I think.

If its a never updated old rival, try to play without any update first.

·
Registered
69 Posts
At first I tried the Rival 700. It has the best ergonomics and best main buttons of any mouse I have ever laid my hands on. Unforutnately it i just too heavy. I can deal with anythin up to 120g, but 137g is just too much of a brick. Now I got the Rival 300. It isn't as good as the 700 ergonomics wise but it's close. However I hate those old Steelseries switches under the main buttons with a passion. They manage to be both hard to press and feel mushy at the same time. How hard is it torepalce them with omrons? I tried replacing the switches on a used Sensei wireless, It worked for the left button but the right button was dead after soldering the omrons.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey!

Hey have been using Rival for years now.
But i feel i need a change.
I have tried many other mouses.
Ec1 White edition.
Ec-1
Ec-2
FK1+
FK1
FK2
Logitech g303
logitech g403

But i feel the rival fits me the best. Its a little to big and in weigh abit much.
But i still like it. Other mouses make my hands cramp.
I hold the mouse like Fingertip/Claw
I always have one finger on mouse3/scrollwheel.
Because i always bind stuff to it.
So i hold wierd grip when playing.

I also use mouse4 alot, i really like the big mouse4 on the rival.

Anyone have a suggestion for a mouse close the rival maybe a bit smaller?
Or should i try the Xtrfy one thats almost the exakt same.
Or just stick with the Rival that i have?
I heard that the new version(Rival 300) Have abit worse sensor that the old one.
Or people feel like its worse.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
I'm in the same boat. Tried zowie ec-1 but found the side buttons to be mushy (I ise the side buttons a lot) been wanting to try the g403 or final mouse.

·
Registered
238 Posts
From reading what you already tried I guess you pretty much settled for that shape. Plus the Rival is a quite different shape as it is rather narrow in the middle, where you grip it, for its size.

I would either stick to that shape and buy a new Rival 300 or that strange Xtrfy thing if you want to go for an experiment or look out for smaller mice with a similar grip width. Maybe try the Nixeus Revel or the Dreammachine DM1. They are pretty much the same and also rather narrow in the middle, while still having a hump to the back. Plus they are about 20 gramms lighter than a Rival.
Those two also feature a better sensor, while on the other hand the side buttons are not that great.

Edit: Maybe also consider the roccat Kone Pure 2017

·
Registered
356 Posts
for the 300 se 3.4.4 or the latest really depends on your preference both are pretty raw on the sensor side but the 3.4.4 feels a bit rawer on the other hand you have to deal with the disconnect bug so it's really down to how lucky you are with the usb cable

·
Registered
1 Posts
My Rival 300 stoped working after a bluescreen. It doesnt move and the buttons does nothing. (lights work OK)

It works in bootloader mode (right click+left click + CPI button) but as soon i update the firmware it stops working again

I already tried with various versions of Engine 3 and various firmware updates with the same result(every firmware available) only with the 0.104 firm the buttons and scroll works but not the movement
I have a ticket with SS but they ask me to RMA the mouse. Problem is, sending the mouse to Denmark costs me 38€(i bought the mouse for 47€)

Any ideas i can try before shipping?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darknast View Post

My Rival 300 stoped working after a bluescreen. It doesnt move and the buttons does nothing. (lights work OK)

It works in bootloader mode (right click+left click + CPI button) but as soon i update the firmware it stops working again

I already tried with various versions of Engine 3 and various firmware updates with the same result(every firmware available) only with the 0.104 firm the buttons and scroll works but not the movement
I have a ticket with SS but they ask me to RMA the mouse. Problem is, sending the mouse to Denmark costs me 38€(i bought the mouse for 47€)

Any ideas i can try before shipping?
Buy the New "Rival 310" that will release next week

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
What are the expected specs for 310?

I can recommend G403, it's smaller but still usable for 20cm+ hands. Other than Rival you can try Ozone Neon M50 which is close to IE3.0 from the looks of it.
Rival has a nice large shape, but the amount of issues with it, mushy buttons, too high side buttons, never bought it because of it. Some of the worst main button feel of all mouse I tried thanks to the long spongy main buttons integrated into top shell.
Endless issues reported with the 3310 is it? That's used in it, not fault of the sensor but of SteelSeries.

G403 is not meant to be held with 3 fingers on top of it, it's not wide enough, most mice are not wide enough for that weird grip. I mean you could do it with G403, for me that would be pure finger tip grip with 3 on top but I don't like how the main clicks are then when my fingers are more back and I never use such grip.

2781 - 2800 of 2805 Posts