Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the tracking sensor of the Steelseries Sensei RAW with the sensor in the Zowie EC1 (not the crappy eVo edition).

I love the Omron switches and the ambidextrous design of the Sensei, but the sensor is a piece of crap. It fails at high swipe speeds and the acceleration is killer on my accuracy :[

The EC1 has never failed on me no matter how fast I swipe it, but the switches broke on me and don't respond to my clicks. I also prefer prediction on my mice which is why I would like to swap the sensors.

So before opening up any of the mice, I would like to know if anyone on this forum has had experience with swapping hardware of mice.

In summary:
- Swap the tracking sensor of the Sensei with the EC1.

Thanks,
AuTra

·
Banned
2,481 Posts
I'm not an expert on this subject, but I believe the only functional swaps are the ones where a mouse uses a dual PCB design and you just remove the PCB containing the sensor, swap it with a new one, then wire the two back together again while the section that contains the switches is never disturbed.

If you were to replace the entire PCB, the button positions and scroll wheel position would be incompatible.

There's a picture of some guy's kinzu-adder below to show you what I mean. Also, if you're talking about "dream swaps", the zowie EC1 original definitely wouldn't be on my list. It would be swapping a g400 or Savu sensor into either a Xai, Kana, or Kinzu shell.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ach View Post

I'm not an expert on this subject, but I believe the only functional swaps are the ones where a mouse uses a dual PCB design and you just remove the PCB containing the sensor, swap it with a new one, then wire the two back together again while the section that contains the switches is never disturbed.
If you were to replace the entire PCB, the button positions and scroll wheel position would be incompatible.
There's a picture of some guy's kinzu-adder below to show you what I mean. Also, if you're talking about "dream swaps", the zowie EC1 original definitely wouldn't be on my list. It would be swapping a g400 or Savu sensor into either a Xai, Kana, or Kinzu shell.
I would want the g400 sensor in the Death Adder Shell lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacroZerg View Post

"not the crappy eVo edition". Have i missed something? Im using the eVo and i find the sensor really good. You just prefer prediction, is that it?
The switches in the eVo are lower quality and the game that I play requires very fast clicking. Also, the sensor is garbage. If you're a low sens player like me, you'll find that it fails and makes your character look down if you swipe really fast. Many times I would do a 180 twitch only to end up lookin at the ground and not turning at all.

I went through 2 eVo's, trying them both on 3 diff mousepads (9HD, QCK+, Puretrak Talent).

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylit View Post

The specific sensor in both mice is more or less "the same". The mice differ by surrounding hardware. As with the Zowie EC.
Ya but you guys fuss at me for using 900 dpi on my Death Adder but everyone recommends 800 on the g400 ,that was basically my line of thinking lol.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by autra View Post

The switches in the eVo are lower quality and the game that I play requires very fast clicking. Also, the sensor is garbage. If you're a low sens player like me, you'll find that it fails and makes your character look down if you swipe really fast. Many times I would do a 180 twitch only to end up lookin at the ground and not turning at all.
I went through 2 eVo's, trying them both on 3 diff mousepads (9HD, QCK+, Puretrak Talent).
Well im not a low sens user (i play RTS) so if what you say is a common issue for the evos then i guess i wouldnt know about it/be affected by it.
Can anyone else confirm what he says though?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it would be possible to swap the tracking sensor of the Steelseries Sensei RAW with the sensor in the Zowie EC1 (not the crappy eVo edition).

I love the Omron switches and the ambidextrous design of the Sensei, but the sensor is a piece of crap. It fails at high swipe speeds and the acceleration is killer on my accuracy :[

The EC1 has never failed on me no matter how fast I swipe it, but the switches broke on me and don't respond to my clicks. I also prefer prediction on my mice which is why I would like to swap the sensors.

So before opening up any of the mice, I would like to know if anyone on this forum has had experience with swapping hardware of mice.

In summary:
- Swap the tracking sensor of the Sensei with the EC1.

Thanks,
AuTra
Hi. Did you ever get an answer about this? The thread quickly turned into a "which sensor is better" thread, didn't find too much relevant info. I currently have the Xai and would love to swap the sensor with a zero accel optical.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Quote:

I'm staring at a non-EVO and an EVO EC1 right now, and they both use the exact same switches... They're both Huano yellow/orange switches. As for the sensor, we have several 60cm/360 players here that never had an issue (when using optimal settings)... I use a non-EVO at work, but I dislike prediction while gaming, so I tend to use an EVO when I feel like a Zowie.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.