Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I just got my SSD the other day and...

So far, I've:

1. Plugged it into my system.
2. Installed Win7 on it.
3. Set mode to AHCI.
4. Checked to see if it has the latest Firmware, it did.
5. Tried to update driver software in Device Manager, it said it was already up to date.

I checked my WEI and it got a 7.6, but a lot of people are saying they have 7.7. Anyone know what's up?

What else do I need to do to make sure it's going to run the way it should?

Thanks!

·
Registered
426 Posts
If you really want to make sure you've got everything up to date, then it is a good idea to always check the maker of the hardware for updates.

Intel's Firmware Update clickie

Other than that, use something like HDTune to benchmark it and see if you're getting similar results to the rest of us.

Hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How long am I supposed to run the HD Tune benchmark to get a rough idea of its performance?

And for my SSD Model, what kind of numbers should I be seeing? When I started the test, all I see is transfer rate (min and max).

·
Registered
406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AverageGai
View Post

How long am I supposed to run the HD Tune benchmark to get a rough idea of its performance?

And for my SSD Model, what kind of numbers should I be seeing? When I started the test, all I see is transfer rate (min and max).

HD tune will stop on its own when the test is done.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, just ran the test and received:

Transfer rate min: 107.9 mb/sec
Transfer rate max: 203.3 mb/sec
Transfer rate avg: 177.0 mb/sec

Access Time: 0.1ms
Burst Rate: 120.7 mb/sec
CPU usage: -1.0%

Does all that sound about right for the X25-V?

·
Gone
8,730 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Okay, just ran the test and received:

Transfer rate min: 107.9 mb/sec
Transfer rate max: 203.3 mb/sec
Transfer rate avg: 177.0 mb/sec

Access Time: 0.1ms
Burst Rate: 120.7 mb/sec
CPU usage: -1.0%

Does all that sound about right for the X25-V?

Seems a bit low compared to mine.

What controller are you running this off of? AMD, Intel, or Nvidia?

I'm going to guess not intel

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I ran another test and it was a bit higher, but nothing drastic.

I'm not sure what you mean by controller, but my mobo is AMD (ASUS M4A79XTD EVO).

BTW, I'm downloading something on Steam right now, but that's installed on my primary storage HDD. Would that affect my results?

·
Gone
8,730 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I ran another test and it was a bit higher, but nothing drastic.

I'm not sure what you mean by controller, but my mobo is AMD (ASUS M4A79XTD EVO).

Ahh, kk that would be the reason. AMD's SB7xx is slower compared to Intel ICH10R for some reason.

I think you're fine

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the drivers, I downloaded the ones from Intel's site and I tried to update it through Device Manager, but it says it's up to date, but when I check the driver details, it says the driver's from Microsoft, not Intel, is this normal? Driver date is 6/21 I believe...

·
Registered
406 Posts
Also try running HdTune when nothing else is running and see if you get better results.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
So you didn't set up ahci first then install the os? Or you just wrote it in the wrong order?

I get a 7.6 with my 80gig sss intel. so don't worry that score meas nothing in the real world.

Try these test it works pretty good.
AS ssd:
http://alex-is.de/PHP/fusion/downloads.php?cat_id=4

Crystaldiskmark:
http://crystalmark.info/software/Cry...k/index-e.html

If you want post a test then i will post a screen shot of my results. But yours seems spot on though really. Perhaps check it with the ssd tool box maybe wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The order I listed is correct. I installed the OS before changing the mode to AHCI because I had to change some registries or else AHCI causes the BSOD when I boot up.

I've checked the SSD Tool box from Intel and it said everything's healthy. Ran the full diagnostic test and came out okay.

I was just curious about the 7.6 WEI because someone else with the same SSD scored 7.7, but yeah, I know what you mean by it meaning nothing in the real world. Heck, my GTX 470's score alternates between 7.6 and 7.7 each time I run the test xD

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went a ran the test again without programs running in the background and the results were better, but the access time was 0.7ms! That doesn't look right for an SSD so I ran it again and this time, it looks better.

Min: 108.9 mb/sec
Max: 205.3 mb/sec
Avg: 183.6 mb/sec
Acess Time: 0.1ms
Burst Rate: 121.9 mb/sec

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Could you tell me what chipset you are using for the ssd to run on?

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
So honestly that is pretty good for a amd chipset really. As here is the specs for your 40gig sss intel drive.

specs for your drive is:

Code:

Code:
Sequential Access - Read  up to 170MB/s
Sequential Access - Write up to 35MB/s
Can you run the two benchmarks i posted and post some screen shots. But that is good for a amd chipset as they are a little slower then the intel chipsets.

·
Premium Member
6,033 Posts
Looks spot on man. As it is a little higher then specs for that ssd. But give or take always. Go relax and enjoy your new ssd man.

• Rep+
Reactions: AverageGai

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Alright, thanks a lot!

Oh, btw, I know not to defrag my SSD, but can I use Disk Cleaner to clear the temp files and stuff?

And what other things should I know about in order to keep it healthy?

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I read that I should let my SSD idle at the log in screen for a few hours a week, is this true? If it is, what exactly is it doing there?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts