Overclock.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in December, a couple days before Christmas, I went to microcenter to get parts to build a gaming pc for my youngest brother. I bought a 2x4gb kit of crucial ballistix sport 1600mhz ddr3 ram and it worked for a month until two days ago he got a BSOD while playing BF4. I restarted the PC and it kept giving me a BSOD a second after I logged in. I tested each stick of ram with memtestx86+ for an hour each. One stick passed the test 100% and the other was 110% dead. Last time I had ram fail there was a small sector of memory that was defective and I would only bsod every few days when I did something that required to use that small sector. Does anyone know how the entire stick of ram went from 100% functional to 100% dead all of a sudden? I ran tests on the machine the day I built it to make sure everything was good and everything checked out.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I think it is fairly unrealistic to expect anyone to be able to tell you what went wrong with your memory sight unseen; even if we were able to speculate what is wrong with it we weren't there so would have no idea how it got that way. Anything anyone says would be little more then mere guessing and in any case, that information will not resolve your issue.

With that said, Microcenter tends to very generous in their returns\exchanges in my experience. They will in all likely hood exchange it for you even at this late date and if for some reason they won't, Crucial will definitely RMA it for you.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts