Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I just changed my gear added the new corsair psu and built in 2 extra fans, still waiting for my new scythe cooling and then i am set to go oc.
But now when i play some game, quite soon i start hearing 3 fairly loud beeps?
I dont think its the motherboard beeping as that little speaker has a really small sound, so it software sound, but i cant figure out why...temps should be fine
CPU 30 C idle, MB 40, GPU middle 66C, i do know my cpu cant yet handle full loads for a long time, as the temp rockets to 56 and rising soon, so i wait till i get my new cooler, but this game doesnt load the cpu at all a lot so ~?
Thx for any ideas

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Well is it coming through your speakers, or from the case? It could be captor whine from the video card. Its supposed to stop on the 4xxx series cards because of their digital power management but it happens still sometimes. Open up the case and give us a few more details.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by I_dalder_I View Post
Well is it coming through your speakers, or from the case? It could be captor whine from the video card. Its supposed to stop on the 4xxx series cards because of their digital power management but it happens still sometimes. Open up the case and give us a few more details.

Video cards don't cause beeps. They cause an annoying screeching sound, like an old car long overdue for brake replacement.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
beeping capacitors, what is the world coming to. (other than terrible trolling advice)

do you have any warning alarms set in your bios or other utilities? when i had cpu fan speed warning on it would beep loudly when i opened a game. but it does sound like an alarm going off. just have a peek

·
Premium Member
45,674 Posts
3 short beeps usually indicate, BIOS provider dependent, keyboard failure or Base 64K memory failure.

·
Premium Member
4,764 Posts
I highly doubt it's a software sound you are hearing. But if you want to find out, download this Game Booster. Even though you are on XP it will shut off every task/process not needed for the games. It's 100% safe--I use it every time I smash noobs online.

If you turn on GB and you still hear that beep, it's not software, it's your motherboard.

And I think Duke is right: go in and check all of your connections--everything--keyboard, mouse, monitor.

But, my board only gives beeps: at boot--1 beep to indicate a successful post, and at post )a loop of beeps) to suggest memory failure of some kind.

Check if your RAM is seated firmly. Maybe run memtest86+ just in case...one stick at a time. Maybe ones dying.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well, i have the new psu and its high quality so, and i did connect 2 x power to the card, memory is spanknew, i will do a memtest yes, i will open it up and then game, try to find what gives the sound ?
My startup is good, as ihave only one beep, and then 2 x usb checkbeeps,
but thx, will see if i can find it...

by the way is 50 c high for a MB temp ?
my GPU goes up to 80c maybe thats too high ?

·
Premium Member
4,764 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoAnderson
View Post

well, i have the new psu and its high quality so, and i did connect 2 x power to the card, memory is spanknew, i will do a memtest yes, i will open it up and then game, try to find what gives the sound ?
My startup is good, as ihave only one beep, and then 2 x usb checkbeeps,
but thx, will see if i can find it...

by the way is 50 c high for a MB temp ?
my GPU goes up to 80c maybe thats too high ?

Your mobo is at 50c..? I have a UD3 so I can't speak too in-depth about that board but mine never gets above 32c. This is with 1.38vcore in bios/1.376 Windows and 1.28 through the north bridge.

I saw the pict of that board and it looks like it can take the heat. How's the cooling in your case? What's the case temperature?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well on low usage mb is at 38 c , but i was doin some game, and i saw after that it went to 50c
Will look into some aftermarket cooling for my gpu perhaps

·
Premium Member
4,764 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeoAnderson View Post
well on low usage mb is at 38 c , but i was doin some game, and i saw after that it went to 50c
Will look into some aftermarket cooling for my gpu perhaps
Maybe a good fan as the exhaust. Something that moves some serious air, like a Scythe S-Flex (the F series ones) to get that hot air out of the case. Nevermind I see you have 2 case fans freshly installed.

Hmmmm...

How hot is your gpu getting under load? Are you watching the temps in-game?

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
50C is kinda high for mobo imo. My mobo is only around 35C after hours of playing fallout 3, left 4 dead,..etc. Highest was after 10 hrs+ of prime95 around 37C.
80C is fine for the GPU tho as the max temp is around 105C. I did ask that question on another forum before and they told me that.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah my MB temp went up after the change of 2 fans and the new PSU ?
It used to be much lower before that ?
I removed all the remaingin metal strips below the GPU slots for the PCI slots, that really opens up the case and warm air bubble below the card, then iwill put an extra little fan in there to blow out the warm air, i guess that will make a big difference.
I will be runnning PRime only after i installed new Scythe so i ll get back with more info..thx for all comments again

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Quote:

View Post

yeah my MB temp went up after the change of 2 fans and the new PSU ?
It used to be much lower before that ?
I removed all the remaingin metal strips below the GPU slots for the PCI slots, that really opens up the case and warm air bubble below the card, then iwill put an extra little fan in there to blow out the warm air, i guess that will make a big difference.
I will be runnning PRime only after i installed new Scythe so i ll get back with more info..thx for all comments again

Hey that what i did too "removing all the remaining metal strips below the GPU slots for the PCI slots"
. I did used super glue and glued 1 of the Thermaltake 110CFM 80mm fan with controller there as an exhaust fan tho
and it works great. I think that fan got my GTX 275's temp down around 5C or more because my raidmax smilodon didn't exhaust the hot air well so my GTX 275 was bathing in the hot air at the bottom of my case.. It was a good little mod

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah i ordered a nice little fan, and that will work i bet,

also my new psu is so good, its performing great with a big margin ontop so it hardly produces any heat at all

I am so surprised about all these little technical clever solutions and happiness when it all works out..i just spend often just opening the case and lookin at how nice it all works, and what i could possible do nxt to even improve it ?

such as ading a bit higher legs at the bottom of the case so it has more airflow coming under and around..

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

View Post

But now when i play some game, quite soon i start hearing 3 fairly loud beeps?

NeoAnderson, during this time does the machine lock up or are you still able to continue gaming?

I recommend running some stress tests to see if the beep re-occurs. If it does then we can probably eliminate your video card being the issue. The first thing that comes to mind is something over heating.

Let us know

Good luck

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah thx , i will start doin real stress testing as soon as new cooler underway is in...when i do it now it keeps goin towards 60 slowly and i dont like that..
Also i did make a noobish mistake, i forgot to take out the second coverstrip in front of the PCIslot below the GPU card, as that is where the exhaust roster is for the air of the gpu.
I did lower the temp a bit, and the beeping took longer to arrive, i have a feeling it could be the GPU that beeps as of 90 c ? but it did still beep so..

·
Premium Member
12,058 Posts
Quote:

View Post

I did lower the temp a bit, and the beeping took longer to arrive, i have a feeling it could be the GPU that beeps as of 90 c ? but it did still beep so..

NeoAnderson, well any beeping you hear is coming from the onboard speaker which is located on the motherboard so more than likely the video card is not beeping. Either something on your motherboard is getting too hot or there is a temperature warning in the bios that needs to be disabled. I'm very curious to see if the stress testing you perform reproduces the problem.

Definitely let us know after you receive the new cooler

Good luck

EDIT: 90C is fine for the 4870. You can replace the thermal compound on the GPU. That would improve the load temperatures a bit. The best option for improving those temps would be to replace the stock cooler with an aftermarket one.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts