Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've replaced my PSU (to the PCP&C) but i still have nothing on teh 3.3v rail according to Speedfan. however, on everest i have normal voltages. and when my GFx card goes to high load, my system shuts down. and i feel no air coming from my GPU's heatsink. i'm guessing this means my GPU is fan is burnt out, but how? why? and how can i fix it?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
what is your current PSU?<br />
<br />
also, try <a href="http://www.download.com/Everest-Ultimate-Edition-2006/3000-2086_4-10505799.html?tag=lst-0-1" target="_blank">everest</a>

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,217 Posts
Everest is crap with PSU's.<br />
<br />
Everest says my 3.3v line is .5v, my 12v is 4.9, and my 5.5v jumps around.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
Your PSU is a PC Power & Cooling PSU. I highly doubt anything is wrong with it. Im betting the fan on your GPU died, so it overheats and shuts off under load.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, Everest is reading my 3.3v at 3.36, so maybe it's not that. and considering that my GPU is actually running, so i don't know why. but the fan still isn't on. first post edited. i think i agree with HrnyGoat, but should that shut my whole system down or just set my GPU clocks lower and cause me MASSIVE lag on BF2?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,217 Posts
Make sure the plugs are plugged in. Tight. I thought mine (when I had my 6800GS) were plugged in ok, and it performed like a FX5200 when it did work. When it didn't it shut off. <br />
<br />
Make sure they are in tight too.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>The Pook</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Make sure the plugs are plugged in. Tight. I thought mine (when I had my 6800GS) were plugged in ok, and it performed like a FX5200 when it did work. When it didn't it shut off. <br />
<br />
Make sure they are in tight too.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>it's in nice and tight. any tighter and it would smash through the card. and Everest is reading my GPU fan as working. so maybe it is. i will try some BF2 when BSG is over.

·
Premium Member
5,876 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>cgrado</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">well, Everest is reading my 3.3v at 3.36, so maybe it's not that. and considering that my GPU is actually running, so i don't know why. but the fan still isn't on. first post edited. i think i agree with HrnyGoat, but should that shut my whole system down or just set my GPU clocks lower and cause me MASSIVE lag on BF2?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>See what your GPU idle temps are (shown in driver control panel) and if they are higher than 100C (typical GPU maximum temp) then Id just shut it off completely. Id make sure the fan is plugged in and if it still doesnt work then Id get an aftermarket HSF for it.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it's idling at 55*C right now and everest shows 2,000rpm. i'm going to try BF2 to see if there still is a problem.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nvm, problem fixed. i guess the new PSU did it. just came off of high load, 70*c on the 7800. maybe the old PSU couldn't handle the UV cathodes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts