Overclock.net banner

121 - 140 of 180 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
One more for the club, but mine is a R5 3600 batch May 2020. finished the build two weeks ago, ran all sorts of stress testing (CB20 several times, Prime95 for 20 minutes, Realbench for 30 minutes, CPU-Z for 30 minutes) and never got an error. Today, playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate for 15 minutes, it suddenly rebooted. I restarted the game, played for one hour without issues. I am running CPU at stock and the only OC is the XMP enabled for my RAM. By reading all of the comments in here, I am not sure what to think.

It's not the first time I play the game, I played for around 13 hours, 8 hours of Destiny 2, and no issues.

The highest temperature I got was 81 degrees during Prime95. While gaming, it goes up to 70 degrees. GPU never passed 79 degrees.

·
Registered
297 Posts
So just updating this thread 23 days after tendering my first sample of the 3950x to UPS for shipment back to the vendor who I purchased it from (with an RMA number.)

The replacement arrived this afternoon and went directly from the box to the motherboard. (Yes, the vendor accepted the return and sent a replacement.)

It's been running Prime95 small FFTs for 2.5 hours at this point. The first sample wouldn't run these settings for 2 seconds.

I'm completely stock (I cleared CMOS when I took the old chip out so I wouldn't forget to reset the LLC settings I'd put in to make it stable before.)

There will be more testing for sure, but I'm way further along than I was the first time.

Surprisingly, the sample I got this time is actually older than the first one. The new sample comes from batch 2003PGT. So reading that code based on information given earlier in this thread, the new sample was made in January 2020, at the facility in Malaysia from a chip diffused in Texas. My original chip was made at the same facility, also from a Texas wafer, but was manufactured in March.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Reading this thread really does not paint a positive picture of AMD binning and quality control. I went through 3 processors and 2 motherboards (X570 Aorus Xtreme). I am almost tempted to try replacing the processor again.

The previous poster mentioned one sample failing after 2 seconds while an older batch works for over 2 hours in the same motherboard.

In my initial motherboard, two processors failed after about 30 minutes (includes my current 3950x), while another unit would last less than 10 seconds and completely crash the PC with a reboot and bsod. Currently in the warranty replacement board I can only get about 1.5-2 hours before an error occurs.

Some people are having luck so I might do the AMD RMA again, otherwise what are we paying top dollar for.

·
ٴٴٴ╲⎝⧹˙͜>˙⧸⎠╱
6,078 Posts
Reading this thread really does not paint a positive picture of AMD binning and quality control. I went through 3 processors and 2 motherboards (X570 Aorus Xtreme). I am almost tempted to try replacing the processor again.

The previous poster mentioned one sample failing after 2 seconds while an older batch works for over 2 hours in the same motherboard.

In my initial motherboard, two processors failed after about 30 minutes (includes my current 3950x), while another unit would last less than 10 seconds and completely crash the PC with a reboot and bsod. Currently in the warranty replacement board I can only get about 1.5-2 hours before an error occurs.

Some people are having luck so I might do the AMD RMA again, otherwise what are we paying top dollar for.

amd quality control seems to be looser than intel

see the oc potential of early sample zen2 compared to current

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just got the same error for the third time, and, again, after playing one hour of Destiny 2. I will start the RMA process.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I decided to do some more testing to try to solve it with what has been said, and I noticed now that during the blender test in Prime95, the line "Power Reporting Deviation (Accuracy)" on HWINFO64 dropped below 90% and was marked as red. That happened every time the temperature got close to 90 degrees. Is this a problem? I have PBO on and XMP.

By the way, Prime95 ran for 50 minutes and I got no error.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I've seen topics telling the same about the 3000 threadrippers, crashing on Small FFT AVX2. The case seems simple to me, the CPU's get wonky above 85-90*C. Have had it with almost all Intels as well, they cannot run SmallFFT AVX reliably above a certain temperature threshold.
They (both Intel and AMD) should implement something like a heavy offset when it sees SmallFFT's running, comparable to what Nvidia/Radeon do to Furmark lovers and also spank board manufacturers for trying to squeeze every last bit of these CPU's even on stock settings by setting agressive V/F curves etc.

3960X running 92-95*C with PBO on any cooler I've tried is insane, they really need to fix these CPU's but I doubt they would as it might induce slowing the CPU by a good bit by lowering the all-core clock.

·
Premium Member
20,109 Posts
I decided to do some more testing to try to solve it with what has been said, and I noticed now that during the blender test in Prime95, the line "Power Reporting Deviation (Accuracy)" on HWINFO64 dropped below 90% and was marked as red. That happened every time the temperature got close to 90 degrees. Is this a problem? I have PBO on and XMP.

By the way, Prime95 ran for 50 minutes and I got no error.
Kinda a close to the spec'ed temp limit. What cooler are you using?

·
OG AMD
8,800 Posts
You guys do know that Windows OS has PowerPlans don't you? Have you even tried different power plans? Updated Windows? Wouldn't surprise me at all this is all about Windows +Motherboard Agesa growing pains. Who in the heck runs Prime95 at completely stock settings anyways? Never once have I heard of someone installing a cpu then running Prime95 for 24 hrs. They always do it after overclocking, or downclocking and undervolting or changing RAM settings. Just a few thoughts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Kinda a close to the spec'ed temp limit. What cooler are you using?
The power deviation line I was talking about shows percentages, not temps. The highest temp I reached running Prime95 is 81 degrees. I am using a Thermalright ARO-M14.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
My 3950X started acting up again after almost 5 months with low LLC setting. None of the previous "fixes" are helping anymore (voltage offset, LLC or PBO). I don't dare to start up prime95 since it's crashing all the time on random occassions (today I had 4 restarts either when unmounting a USB drive or by simply opening up Firefox).

I'll probably get a new one and RMA this one, hopefully the new one won't have the same issue...

Do you guys know which numbers I should be looking at to check the batch and compare it to the new one?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
I ordered a new 3950X and should be able to test it out in a few days. The only good thing is that it's fairly easy to test out, so if needed I could return it a day after and go with a less expensive CPU (e.g. 3900XT).

·
OG AMD
8,800 Posts
How many off you OC pro's are running a 3950x with 4 sticks of RAM, a 2080TI and a bunch of HDD's and fans on a 650w psu? :rolleyes: And then blaming AMD?:doh:

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #134 (Edited)
How many off you OC pro's are running a 3950x with 4 sticks of RAM, a 2080TI and a bunch of HDD's and fans on a 650w psu? :rolleyes: And then blaming AMD?:doh:
Not sure if this was directed at me. I only have 2 sticks of RAM, 1080Ti and one HDD on a 750W PSU.

EDIT: Batch code of that new 3950X that I'm getting is 2022SUT if anyone's interested.

·
Premium Member
2,708 Posts
What does it have to do with the PSU power rating?
Unless the PSU is complete garbage, 650W is more than sufficient for the described setup, unless something moronic is done with the RTX.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also what do RAM dimms have to do with it? Never seen anyone claim 4 sticks is a problem.

Dude, how the hell can't people even google some basic things before ****posting here...

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
My 3950X started acting up again after almost 5 months with low LLC setting. None of the previous "fixes" are helping anymore (voltage offset, LLC or PBO). I don't dare to start up prime95 since it's crashing all the time on random occassions (today I had 4 restarts either when unmounting a USB drive or by simply opening up Firefox).

I'll probably get a new one and RMA this one, hopefully the new one won't have the same issue...

Do you guys know which numbers I should be looking at to check the batch and compare it to the new one?
That sounds exactly like the behavior I see when I use the EDC bug with the +MHz in the PBO menu (putting top speed at 4.675GHz ~ 4.7+GHz.. Only at the lightest of loads. I'm pretty certain it's because of my LCC settings, but the lower LLC settings allows for better n core performance. And if I want to use a higher LLC with a negative offset for those n core loads then I cut the legs out from under single core loads. So I can't use the +MHz in the PBO menu.

Something I find odd though is that the EDC bug alone adds 50MHz on top of what's supposed to be a 4.6GHz processor. I can't find a way to prevent that. Even if I set +0MHz in the PBO menu.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
-snip- Who in the heck runs Prime95 at completely stock settings anyways? -snip-
Wouldn't you want to know if you have a faulty CPU before you overclock it? Who in the heck would wants to chase down crashes thinking it was because of their overclock when it was just the CPU?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #139 (Edited)
That sounds exactly like the behavior I see when I use the EDC bug with the +MHz in the PBO menu (putting top speed at 4.675GHz ~ 4.7+GHz.. Only at the lightest of loads. I'm pretty certain it's because of my LCC settings, but the lower LLC settings allows for better n core performance. And if I want to use a higher LLC with a negative offset for those n core loads then I cut the legs out from under single core loads. So I can't use the +MHz in the PBO menu.

Something I find odd though is that the EDC bug alone adds 50MHz on top of what's supposed to be a 4.6GHz processor. I can't find a way to prevent that. Even if I set +0MHz in the PBO menu.
Unfortunately this didn't have anything to do with PBO initially. Random crashing persisted even after reverting everything to stock or using any of the settings mentioned in this thread. Turbo LLC was the only setting that made prime95 run more than 2 seconds, and the only way to make it "stable" so I can work in the next few days (until the one arrives) was to enable PBO with PPT 300, and TDC and EDC 200. That bumped the temps +10c under high load, but hey, at least I can compile with an extra 200MHz. :D

Wouldn't you want to know if you have a faulty CPU before you overclock it? Who in the heck would wants to chase down crashes thinking it was because of their overclock when it was just the CPU?
Exactly. There's a bunch of reasons why someone would run prime95 on a stock CPU. I actually only wanted to check the temps under high load so I know if I applied thermal paste properly.

After reading through this thread again (and a bunch of others on the interwebz) I'm starting to question my decision to order another 3950X. They definitely seem the most defective of the bunch, which is unforgivable considering the price.

·
Registered
946 Posts
Interestingly I've ran Prime95 this morning just to check my cpu temps again and was shocked to see that it quickly climbed up to 86C with my cpu clocked at 4.2ghz using 1.1875vcore. Now this is not what I usually saw when testing with this cpu speed. Found a new bios for my MSI MEG X570 Ace and flashed it but thought about the temps and decided to just check the Corsair IQUE software to check the pump speed. Interestingly it was reset to quiet and the pump was barely running 1000 rpm. I set it to extreme and ran Prime95 again for 31 minutes or so and was happy to see temps was just reaching 70c on one CCD. I'm pretty happy with the setup as is.

Attachments

121 - 140 of 180 Posts