Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the stock heatsink of any Phenom II x4's or x6's good enough to keep it cool if you do not plan on overclocking? And do they usually have a pre-applied compound?

·
Registered
1,350 Posts
yea that will keep it cool if you do not over clock but why not?
overclocking will unlock the true potential of your cpu.....
so I would overclock it but that is up to u

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Definitely. You can even overclock your CPU (not too much tho) if you dont mind the noise and if you got a good case

·
Registered
626 Posts
Yep, it will keep your CPU cool if you're not OC... but be prepared, it's really really noisy. Not that far from a low-power vaccum cleaner. I kept the stock heatsink+fan of my 955 BE for... 5 days. It was waaay too loud. If your computer is in your room, forget about having it fold 24/24 otherwise you won't sleep. Even if you don't use the CPU, it'll be loud as hell.

With speedfan, I saw that whatever the load on the cpu was the fan was between 5000-6000 RPM...

If i were you, i wouldn't even bother with the stock heatsink and buy something better. That way you won't have to clean the stock thermal paste. You can find some pretty awesome HS for 30$, my CM 212+ cost me around 23$.

To sum up: You don't care about noise: no problem. You care about noise: you won't stand this small reactor in your PC case.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts