Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finish building a new comp today. After I installed windows I ran the windows assessment to test the system under load. While running the assessment my temps peaked at 95-100 C in real temp!
Can anyone tell me whats wrong?

Specs:
i7 950 3.02ghz
scythe mugen 2 heatsink
asus P6X58D premium
6gb corsair dominator
1TB WD 7200rpm CB
2x GTX 460's
corsair HX850 PSU
antec nine hundrew two case

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Whoa. How much thermal paste did you apply? What was your application method?

• Rep+
Reactions: VBC

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used AS-5, possible alittle more than I wanted. Should I remount the heatsink?

Another pic:

·
Registered
944 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VBC
View Post

I used AS-5, possible alittle more than I wanted. Should I remount the heatsink?

Another pic:

That would be a good idea. Just one drop in the middle of the CPU, then let the heatsink spread it.

·
Guess I'm Back
3,667 Posts
Stop running it at those temps! Yes, reseat your heatsink with a thin layer of thermal paste.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
I think the secret is to make sure the heatsink is mounted tightly. If it is wobbly, or if you can move it, spin it, etc., then it's too loose which would explain these extreme temperatures.

·
AMD Overclocker
9,178 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

I think the secret is to make sure the heatsink is mounted tightly. If it is wobbly, or if you can move it, spin it, etc., then it's too loose which would explain these extreme temperatures.

This is what I was thinking. Your heatsink must not be mounted properly.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I reapplied the thermal paste and remounted the heat sink nice and tight but my temps are still too high. I don't know what else to do. Should I try a new cooler?

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VBC
View Post

I reapplied the thermal paste and remounted the heat sink nice and tight and my temps and still running hot. I dont know what else to do? Should I try a new cooler?

Well, I have 2 questions: what is your room temperature? And, is your computer in a desk hole, or is it out in the open where it can breathe freely?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables
View Post

Well, I have 2 questions: what is your room temperature? And, is your computer in a desk hole, or is it out in the open where it can breathe freely?

Ambient is around 24-27 C and its sitting under a desk with only 1 side against the wall. Location is definitely not the issue here, I ran in my downstairs workspace out in the open(its also cooler downstairs). Im its running about 48-50 C idle ATM.

I think Ill try the stock intel heatsink tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So I tried the stock intel heatsink, the CPU idled at around 70 C, so its definitely not the heatsink.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VBC View Post
So I tried the stock intel heatsink, the CPU idled at around 70 C, so its definitely not the heatsink.
I remember reading elsewhere that someone had the same problem as you and it ended up being a bad chip. He rmaed it and received a fresh replacement which fixed his heat problems.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Put extremely little thermal paste (about 1 grain of rice), make sure that the heatsink is sitting properly, if all fails that its most likely bad chip.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
its definitely not the heat sink, a friend of mine has that cooler and his 4ghz OC doesn't even come close to 50c...sounds like a bad chip...RMA the chip possibly?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ive tried every avenue, different heatsink, different thermal paste, different fan directions and I still can get the temps to go down. So I guess Im going to fry's tomorrow to get a new chip.

·
Premium Member
16,550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VBC
View Post

Ive tried every avenue, different heatsink, different thermal paste, different fan directions and I still can get the temps to go down. So I guess Im going to fry's tomorrow to get a new chip.

Yes, that will be your best option there.

Let us know once you've got your new chip and see if it's any better, I want to know.

·
Premium Member
6,988 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by VBC
View Post

Before you go, can you post the batch number of the bad chip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Quote:

Originally Posted by SimpleTech View Post
Before you go, can you post the batch number of the bad chip.
Yep, it was a bad chip. Just put the new one in and it runs 20 C cooler.

Heres the info of the bad chip:

i7 950
SLBEN Costa Rica
3025A706

1 - 20 of 47 Posts