Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I make an IDE ribbon with say 4 IDE connectors can I connected 4 IDE HDD's to it and have the BIO's recongnize them all......... I have never tried this with IDE but SATA works fine anyone know if it will work or what I need to do to get it to work or if it will work.

·
Registered
240 Posts
No, it cant. IDE allows no more than two devices on a cable. You cant have more than two. Thats why most motherboards have two IDE buses - with two devices per cable, thats four total.<br><br>
SATA allows one device per cable, but the cables are smaller so you can have lots of them.

·

29,532 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>iamme</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">If I make an IDE ribbon with say 4 IDE connectors can I connected 4 IDE HDD's to it and have the BIO's recongnize them all......... I have never tried this with IDE but SATA works fine anyone know if it will work or what I need to do to get it to work or if it will work.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
I'm astonished if you got it to work with S-ATA.<br>
And no - it can't be done. There is a limit on the logic of the cable to only having 2 units MAX at a time on one cable.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
not s-ata but SATA where the motherboard has 4 SATA connectors on it that individually attach to each hdd..............and i didnt think ide would work like that no harm in asking i guess.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts