Overclock.net banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

Does anyone know the basic differences between windows storage server and windows datacenter??

· Registered
2,210 Posts
I could be wrong, but if I recall correctly storage server is more for file storage, similar to like a SAN operating system. And the Windows Datacenter is more for massive database applications like SQL server and other database driven apps.

Just checked, and yes thats right..

Storage Server

Quote:

Simplify your storage needs with Windows Storage Server 2003 R2. Whether your need is for file sharing, storage consolidation, backup and recovery, or replication, Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 creates a platform for network attached storage. Based on Windows Server 2003 R2, Windows Storage Server 2003 R2 is branch ready and offers superior price-to-performance ratio, enhanced manageability, and increased productivity.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...3/default.mspx

Datacenter

Quote:

Designed for the highest levels of virtualization, scalability, and reliability, Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition, supports large-scale virtualization and mission-critical solutions for databases, enterprise resource planning software, high volume real-time transaction processing and server consolidation. Windows Server 2003 R2 Datacenter Edition is available in x86/32-bit and x64/64-bit versions through Volume Licensing agreements from Microsoft resellers and account managers, in addition to original equipment manufacturer (OEM) partners. Windows Server 2003 Datacenter Edition is also available in IA64/64-bit through OEMs only.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...atacenter.mspx

· Registered
519 Posts
A regular Windows OS is limited on the number of connections it can accept (I want to say 16, but I'm not sure). So unless you have only a very limited number of clients that you want connecting, a server-based OS is required.

· Premium Member
37,787 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chaos40 View Post
A regular Windows OS is limited on the number of connections it can accept (I want to say 16, but I'm not sure). So unless you have only a very limited number of clients that you want connecting, a server-based OS is required.
That's not true at all. It was implemented to prevent viruses and trojans spreading around a network (imagine ~6000 computers) in SP2, but you can get different patches which will fix it.

· Registered
519 Posts
Not to my knowledge. I was under the impression that it is intentionally throttled to prevent a cheap workstation license from serving as a file and print server.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.