Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have Asus DSL-ac68u router, which is almost identical with RT-ac68u, except it has a xDSL modem.

Technical data:
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/ASUS_DSL-AC68U Instead of Wan ethernet port it has DSL RJ-11 port.

Some Asus info:
https://www.asus.com/Networking/DSLAC68U/

My PC is connected over 1gbit ethernet. No matter what i download, ping is 19-21 on idle, 46ms when there is some heavy traffic - maximum what is possible over the line.

There is other PC connected via Wifi using 802.11n standard over 5GHz. When its downloading something, ping can go up as 800ms or there is packet loss towards ISP.

a) DSL line is fine - there are not CRC errors. Traffic which causes the issues is as low as 100kb/s download, so its not line congestion.
b) Ping from me to router is <1ms, ping from me to wifi pc is 3ms when the issue happens.
c) Router CPU utilization is <10%.
d) Modem has its own dedicated memory and CPU, and according to the router GUI its not utilized.
The separated CPU for modem was main reason to purchase it. The situation i describe is the one i wanted to avoid.

Wifi chips in the router are BCM4360 - 802.11 bgn over 2.4Ghz, or can be configured as 802.11n/ac over 5Ghz.

When I tested transfers to my netbook over 2.4GHz N Wifi, the ping to ISP was not that good as compared to cable, but it was still up to 68ms which is reasonable.

Any idea why would a Wifi communication cause problems on different network device

·
Overclocker
3,761 Posts
Sounds to me something is up with that router.
One thing that stuck out is that 68ms ping. How far was you from the router? I'm assuming you were home? If so, a ping that high is a bit suspect IMO. A ping like that is usually about the length of where you place your garbage can for pickup.

You can:
Try another channel using one of those phone apps to determine which channel is free from congestion
Look for a firmware updates
Check to see if any setting is being used that's causing the problem. Like a firewall rule, etc.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 68ms ping is to ISP,

Lets say the second PC over Wifi is downloading something
Me to Router >1ms
Me to his PC 3ms
Me to ISP 800ms-Packet lost

If its me who is downloading
Me to router >1ms
Me to his PC 3ms
Me to ISP 46ms

I suspected that problem is with Tx Bursting from the router, so I disabled it. It had some effect, but the issue persisted.

·
Overclocker
3,761 Posts
Hmm...
Does your router allow you to control bandwidth? If so, try lowering it to 1/2 your normal bandwidth up/down speeds and run your test again to see if things improve or not.

·
Premium Member
6,681 Posts
Id check for firmware updates and install those. If you do not have any, re-install the current latest firmware anyway to check. I once had a bad firmware install on an ASUS router that was causing all sorts of problems with WAN dropping packets and connection issues, installing new firmware again solved it.

If that does not help, just warranty it.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Firmware is ok, if there would be problem there would be much more issues. At this point i cannot know if the problem is not in the Wifi Client receiver.

So far I found out that router was not using its original antennas, so i mounted those and enabled Beamforming features. Other thing was that one antenna was not mounted at all, so it could make trouble with the signal strenght.

Now i just have to wait if the problem surfaces again.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So...

Placed the original antennae, reconfigured the router to use beamforming and take advantage of the MIMO...

And pings get over 600 when there is just a slight download.

Anyway i found interesting things...
LAN + DSL + 2.4Ghz Wifi are configured to use exaclty same MAC.

2.4GHz wifi is configured to hybrid mode

5 Ghz Wifi is configured to AP mode, and uses different MAC. It indicates there might be an additional bridging for this specific Wifi, and thats the source of all the problems.

Will test it with different computer with 5ghz wifi. If it will trigger the issue as well, i will be forced to turn 5ghz wifi off, and check with Asus support.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Router is new, we had some old wifi antennas at home.

If I would buy an used router, new firmware and scan for some "tools" or unknown accounts would be first thing I would do.

·
Tank destroyer and a god
2,512 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Been playing with different settings and connections...

a) Connection via NIC does not make ani problem.
b) Connection via WIFI does make problems.

But not every Wifi connection. It appears that when receiving data from AMD web page, the latency is about 40-60 even over wifi, which is still OK. Windows update however (over wifi) makes lag spikes up to 800ms.

Double checked DSL log, and line is not reporting any CRC errors which would happen on DSL - that would be 100% problem with line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts