Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I have the 6850 in my sig OC'd to 940/1100. It's a rock solid clock, I just spent the day playing BF3 and folding. Problem is, whenever I boot up and set my OC I get strange screen artifacts on the desktop when I, say, scroll down a web page. In game it's perfectly fine but in order to keep these irritating artifacts from happening I have to get up and unplug my monitor and plug it back in. This is with any level of OC, I tried it with 776/1000 (1 point higher than stock) and it still did it. It started doing it after I started using my SSD if that matters.

·
What should be here ?
6,045 Posts
Are you running any other GPU bound appwhile browsing. It might be because of it. Also, if those artifacts appear for a short time, then its normal because, it happens with my 7850 when i o/c it.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 View Post

Hey all, I have the 6850 in my sig OC'd to 940/1100. It's a rock solid clock, I just spent the day playing BF3 and folding. Problem is, whenever I boot up and set my OC I get strange screen artifacts on the desktop when I, say, scroll down a web page. In game it's perfectly fine but in order to keep these irritating artifacts from happening I have to get up and unplug my monitor and plug it back in. This is with any level of OC, I tried it with 776/1000 (1 point higher than stock) and it still did it. It started doing it after I started using my SSD if that matters.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huzzug View Post

Are you running any other GPU bound appwhile browsing. It might be because of it. Also, if those artifacts appear for a short time, then its normal because, it happens with my 7850 when i o/c it.
Even the slightest artifact indicates an issue! No,it is NOT normal.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1200030/his-radeon-hd-6850-occasional-artifacts-card-seems-to-be-slightly-underperforming

A slightly different problem,but you should both check it out.

Cheers.

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 View Post

http://www.overclock.net/t/1265543/the-amd-how-to-thread/0_40#post_17399313

Does it look like the stuff in this video?

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
169 Posts
Oh this is a overclocking bug, I have had it myself before as well.
Basically when the gpu is idle it clocks back to lower clock speeds then it runs on by default when gaming, when you are not overclocking this works perfectly fine and just makes you save power.
When overclocking however in some cases it clocks back to far, which causes those issues, if you look at the clock speeds at such a time you will find very low values, far lower then normal idle values.

There is a simple way to fix this or at least in MSI afterburner, You need to set UnofficialOverclockingMode to 2 in the MSIafterburner.cfg which is located in the main folder of msi afterburner. After that your problems in idle should be fixed as long as you keep using msi afterburner. You will however use significantly more power in idle since power saving is disabled. One other thing you may need to take in mind is that with any new version of msi afterburner the file gets reset so you will need to change the unofficial overclocking mode to 2 again after every update.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts