Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently am trying to install windows 7 on an IBM ThinkCentre M52. Problem is, It is not detecting the hard drive in setup.. Now, I can plug it into my current PC and it detects it fine, No bad sectors, Nothing, and it's showing has a health active partition.. But but some reason it won't detect in Windows 7 Installation.

It's a Samsung HD501LJ 500GB SATA 7200RPM disk. The BIOS in the IBM detects it just fine, But for some reason.. Windows 7 Installation won't (Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit)

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
You may need to format the drive with a Live CD with NTFS to get it to show up in the Windows installer. You could also try going into the command line and partition and format the HD manually using diskpart.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

You may need to format the drive with a Live CD with NTFS to get it to show up in the Windows installer. You could also try going into the command line and partition and format the HD manually using diskpart.
I already did format it has NTFS, Under the Computer management tab in my Windows 7 PC. It's showing up has a health, Active NTFS drive.

·
Premium Member
14,173 Posts
Well, after much research, it seems that many people have had this problem, and although the drive showed up in the BIOS and such, their drives ended up being faulty regardless. Do you have access to another drive to see if it shows up in the Win installer?

Here's a big thread about it, you can see tons of people saying replacing the drive solved their issues.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Peen View Post

Well, after much research, it seems that many people have had this problem, and although the drive showed up in the BIOS and such, their drives ended up being faulty regardless. Do you have access to another drive to see if it shows up in the Win installer?
Here's a big thread about it, you can see tons of people saying replacing the drive solved their issues.
huh. That's strange. Shows up fine in my computer (Under Windows 7, I can access the drive and all). Oh well, It was a free so I can't complain.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kramy View Post

Do you know what chipset that board has? Maybe it requires special AHCI drivers? Have you tried loading Intel ones?
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=20625&ProductFamily=Software+Products&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Rapid+Storage+Technology&lang=eng
Are there any firmware updates for those drives? I've found references to firmware updates, but I haven't seen any downloads for them.
http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/disk-drives/f/3534/t/19106136.aspx
Seagate's site has some, but they are for different models.
http://knowledge.seagate.com/articles/en_US/FAQ/223631en?language=it_IT
It ended up being the drive itself. Every computer I tried it on did the same thing, Would recognize under Windows and be active, But when it would come time to install an OS (Tried XP, Vista and 7) and it didn't work. It was set to NTFS, etc. So I just said #$%#% it and searched for another drive. I appreciate the links though, They did help me with other problems I was having.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts