Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an issue with overclocking my card higher using ATI Tool, pushed the 7900GT to 580/1700Mhz and everything is fine. And got 9954 3DMarks in the 05 Version vs my current 9589 with 560/1600Mhz, everything is fine games run fine etc etc....but when i tested again in 3DMark05 the score was 400 points short using the same OC, i thought strange and re-tested, making sure nothing was suddenly running in the background that could cause this. It did the same 400 point reduction on 4 further tests.

So...i checked out the event viewer and it showed a message during the times i was running the benchtest. It said the following:-

Silent Running: Rising temperature caused level transistion L2 > L1

I have a Zalman VF900 on the GPU and Core temps are around 40C under load, although can't check my memory temps but using the VF900 provided heatsinks everything should be ok in terms of temperature.

Now this apparantly is happening to quite a number of ppl but at present i can find no answers to what's going on. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
11,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesn't do this at my OC speeds of 560/1600, but it does at 580/1700. ATI Tool Artifact Test shows artifact heaven at that speed, but i ignore such things from some daft tool (apparantly it's notoriously buggy with regards to the artifact test) and check benchies and games temps etc for me to make my mind up weather it's too far or not.

·
Premium Member
11,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's a good point i'll check that out....brb with results

·
Premium Member
11,036 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well....thanks for your advice, i have been testing with ATI Tool Artifact scanner and even though i was originally set at 560/1600 i was getting the very few artifacting going on (although no problems during benchies or games). But it seems it becomes more apparant as i raised the memory which is probably what that error in event viewer was about.

Now i tested my GPU at 550 on the core and it was Artifact Free, this 10Mhz reduction has helped me achieve 1750Mhz on the memory! And that problem in event viewer doesn't appear anymore. Wohoo!

Now tested 550/1750 with no artifacting in ATI Tool at all! Fantastic!
Now get 9739 in 3DMark05 (only a slight improvement but hey it's all good)

What i have learnt is that your GPU core is the most important thing in terms of performance and can directly affect your memory potential. What would be interesting would be how far i could push the core etc with a volt mod. But i'm unsure how it is done....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts