Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title states my desktop, in my sig, has been randomly freezing lately.

The issue seems to be random and not caused by anything specific; the display will freeze up and the computer will be completely unresponsive with the only way to remedy the issue is a hard reset. It seems to be while the system is idle since it's while i'm waiting on a steam game to download or update or just leave the computer alone; however earlier today it occurred while I was using the software that comes with my motherboard to control the fan speed of the case fans and such, so i still consider it to be relatively inactive (this also happened withing 15 minutes of booting this morning).

After rebooting and examining logs it's not obvious of any issues causing it.

Also on rare occasions when I boot up it will go through the starting windows screen and when it should open the login prompt it goes to a black screen with just the mouse arrow or loading wheel but you can't move it and it does nothing but sit there

I do have the system overclocked but it's to a modest 4.5Ghz using offset voltage; vcore sits around 1.352V under load using prime95 according to cpu-z. When idle it throttles down properly to 1.6 at around 1V vcore. I've never run a 24hr prime session but I have run it for a few hours and I'm currently running a prime session for the past 2 hours max temp of 67C with no issue.

I do have the GPU overclocked to 950 core 1100 memory on 1.25V and ran furmark for a while last night with no artifacts.

What could cause this issue? Previous issues like this I've read about some people speculate as graphics driver issues but I never read any confirmations if that was the case.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know the sandy bridges prefers the ram to run at 1.5v. I have heard of odd problems running the ram at 1.65.
The 1155 is usually fine with 1.35v to 1.65v but there is the occasional one that needs the 1.5v.
"Intels spec calls for no higher than 1.57v"

If you Google this, don't get the1155 confused with the 1366 mobo/cpu.
I am not saying for sure that this is the issue, but it gives you a place to start.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Wouldn't hurt to see if the computer boots with everything at stock clocks. This would narrow it down to what it may be. If it doesn't reproduce the issues at stock clocks, then you know the overclock is causing it. If it does, then you know your overclocks aren't the problem and that there is either some other hardware issue or a Windows issue.

Try running a memtest86+ to see if your memory is good to go

·
Registered
422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by micro5797 View Post

I know the sandy bridges prefers the ram to run at 1.5v. I have heard of odd problems running the ram at 1.65.
The 1155 is usually fine with 1.35v to 1.65v but there is the occasional one that needs the 1.5v.
"Intels spec calls for no higher than 1.57v"
If you Google this, don't get the1155 confused with the 1366 mobo/cpu.
I am not saying for sure that this is the issue, but it gives you a place to start.
I think you may be on to something....

My RAM is rated for 1.65v and when I left the RAM voltage on auto it would set it to 1.59; I would get an occasional bsod so I bumped it up to the 1.65v the RAM is rated for and I stopped getting bsods but I believe soon after is when I was getting the freezing issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokeyplyr48 View Post

Wouldn't hurt to see if the computer boots with everything at stock clocks. This would narrow it down to what it may be. If it doesn't reproduce the issues at stock clocks, then you know the overclock is causing it. If it does, then you know your overclocks aren't the problem and that there is either some other hardware issue or a Windows issue.
Try running a memtest86+ to see if your memory is good to go
Yesterday I ran everything at stock and it seemed to be doing fine and when I went back to the OC I believe I set the RAM voltage for 1.59 and after 4 hours of prime and some gaming and sitting idle it never froze... so that seems like it is the culprit.. I need to get some 1.5v RAM

edit: when I get home I'm going to double check if i did leave the RAM at 1.59v and if it doesn't freeze; if so it'll be +rep to both of you

1 - 5 of 5 Posts