Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new board in, and it started up just fine, booted into Windows, all cool.

Then I shut down, and when I restart, I get nothing. Power comes on, but screen stays black, no POST, windows doesn't boot, nada.

Forced power down, then hit the reset CMOS on the back, and the computer posts and boots to windows perfect.

So ... if I power it off at ANY POINT (before Windows boots, or after) ... it won't restart. It just sits there, fans running, but no picture ... forever. I have to manually power off, then reset CMOS, to restart the computer successfully no matter what. And doing so fixes it perfectly, every time. Computer will boot up, that's how I'm typing this. But it won't boot up next time, after I shut it off, unless I clear CMOS first.

This is tripping me out. I don't have a speaker so I've no idea if I'm getting beep codes, but ...

Any ideas? Both 8-pins are hooked up, but no Molexes. PCI-Ex slots 2 and 4 are disabled via the dip switches. Other than that, everything is pretty much 'stock'. No add-in daughter boards are connected like the Bluetooth or anything.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't tried bios update, I think the bios is from May sometime.

And everything is bone-stock, haven't even tried OC'ing. In fact, no overclock is even possible ATM, because I have to reset CMOS to turn on the machine.

·
Premium Member
13,796 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

Haven't tried bios update, I think the bios is from May sometime.

And everything is bone-stock, haven't even tried OC'ing. In fact, no overclock is even possible ATM, because I have to reset CMOS to turn on the machine.

He has the latest bios already (BIOS 0602, date 2010/5/20). Is the CMOS battery bad?

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
You do not need both 8 pins connected unless you are benching with LN2... First step is only have one plugged in.

And it sounds definitely like a bios issue. Try the latest stable and/or beta bios.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It could well off be anything, but it sounds like RAM issue. Have you looked at the LED boot up indicators? To be completely honest, those LEDs are extremely useful when it comes to hardware issues.

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
ive had that with my classified but only after crazy overclocks.. to me it sounds like some sort of bios issue. try it with just one videocard. there might be an issue with the nb.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv View Post
Just got my new board in, and it started up just fine, booted into Windows, all cool.

Then I shut down, and when I restart, I get nothing. Power comes on, but screen stays black, no POST, windows doesn't boot, nada.

Forced power down, then hit the reset CMOS on the back, and the computer posts and boots to windows perfect.

So ... if I power it off at ANY POINT (before Windows boots, or after) ... it won't restart. It just sits there, fans running, but no picture ... forever. I have to manually power off, then reset CMOS, to restart the computer successfully no matter what. And doing so fixes it perfectly, every time. Computer will boot up, that's how I'm typing this. But it won't boot up next time, after I shut it off, unless I clear CMOS first.

This is tripping me out. I don't have a speaker so I've no idea if I'm getting beep codes, but ...

Any ideas? Both 8-pins are hooked up, but no Molexes. PCI-Ex slots 2 and 4 are disabled via the dip switches. Other than that, everything is pretty much 'stock'. No add-in daughter boards are connected like the Bluetooth or anything.
When it doesn't boot are any of onboard leds red? At normal boot they all should be green.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Had these exact symptoms on my Bloodrage. Was incompatibility with that BIOS and my GTX 470s. Like other people had suggested, I was only able to boot with 1 or 2 sticks of RAM

·
Registered
24 Posts
You can get a POST error code if you hook up the motherboard to another computer through the ROG connect cable and install the ROG utilities on that another machine. It even shows the POST sequence in real time.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Things I've tried at this point:
1) disabling 2nd gtx480 via dip switch and removing power from it (doesn't seem like it could be a power problem otherwise it wouldn't start just by resetting cmos).
2) single stick of ram in various slots
3) only using one of the 8-pin connectors (that's how I started, I only added the 2nd one once I saw this problem).

Next:
1) Going to try an updated bios
2) I'll try 'pulling the ram down' to 1333 and 2t, but every time I have to clear cmos to get the machine to start again, plus the default settings do work already ... but only one time.

After that, I'm pretty much at a loss. Everything one might think is the problem sort of goes out the window with the fact that it all works PERFECT after I reset CMOS, and then once it's been ON, at ALL, once I shut down and restart, it doesn't work. I mean it's like just turning it on causes some change to some setting somewhere in the bios that makes it not work anymore. But I'm not even going into the bios, letting alone saving any changes.

Also, when it doesn't boot, the Q-light thingy (near the atx cable) is red on the first LED which indicates 'CPU', if that's of any help.

Appreciate everyone's help

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by klaidonis
View Post

You can get a POST error code if you hook up the motherboard to another computer through the ROG connect cable and install the ROG utilities on that another machine. It even shows the POST sequence in real time.

Oooh ... that sound like some nerdy fun
I'll definitely try if updating the bios doesn't fix this.

·
4kfan
4,228 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by brettjv
View Post

Things I've tried at this point:
1) disabling 2nd gtx480 via dip switch and removing power from it (doesn't seem like it could be a power problem otherwise it wouldn't start just by resetting cmos).
2) single stick of ram in various slots
3) only using one of the 8-pin connectors (that's how I started, I only added the 2nd one once I saw this problem).

Next:
1) Going to try an updated bios
2) I'll try 'pulling the ram down' to 1333 and 2t, but every time I have to clear cmos to get the machine to start again, plus the default settings do work already ... but only one time.

After that, I'm pretty much at a loss. Everything one might think is the problem sort of goes out the window with the fact that it all works PERFECT after I reset CMOS, and then once it's been ON, at ALL, once I shut down and restart, it doesn't work. I mean it's like just turning it on causes some change to some setting somewhere in the bios that makes it not work anymore. But I'm not even going into the bios, letting alone saving any changes.

Also, when it doesn't boot, the Q-light thingy is on the first LED which indicates 'CPU', if that's of any help.

Appreciate everyone's help

man this is frustrating.. could it be that the bios are defaulting to a profile that is broken after restartS? if flashing it dosnt work i think the only other thing you could try is RMA.

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by manolith
View Post

man this is frustrating.. could it be that the bios are defaulting to a profile that is broken after restartS? if flashing it dosnt work i think the only other thing you could try is RMA.

You got that right brother. I've troubleshooted SO MANY motherboard issues on SO MANY boards over the years ... this one really has me stumped. Never had anything quite like it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT
View Post

There is a beta bios for the Rampage III that I'm currently using, could help you out.

Check on this thread:

http://i4memory.com/f54/asus-rampage...-thread-23814/

I don't get what I have to do to actually download one of those bioses from off the thread? Do I have to sign up for that Media Fire thingie to be able to d/l any of the files or what?

1 - 20 of 89 Posts