Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm suffering from a strange USB problem with my K9A2 Platinum, in which I can't restart my system without it hanging when I have a USB KVM switch and USB external hard drive plugged in.

The KVM switch has a G5 and Logitech Access keyboard and the external drive is plugged in directly to the motherboard.

I contacted MSI late last night, and the tech on hand told me to Disable USB Legacy Support. Does this sound about right?

Another problem that I seem to face, irregularly is that when my system boots into Windows Vista, I sometimes have to turn my monitor Off and On to be able to see the Login Screen. It's very strange and I don't know if this might be my video card, or the same USB-motherboard issue as described above.

I'll begin troubleshooting tonight to see if Disable USB Legacy works, but I wish I could set the darn thing to Auto or leave it enabled since I sometimes go into BIOS, MEMTEST, etc.

Anyone have to to do this to their boards?

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think so. Or some of your other devices could be conflicting with the USB device you're trying to use. My USB External HDD has to boot before Windows does. I don't know why. I think that may be the cause of your screen not working also.

Try using the device in SAFE MODE.

• Rep+
Reactions: reptilematt

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bellatrix View Post
I think so. Or some of your other devices could be conflicting with the USB device you're trying to use. My USB External HDD has to boot before Windows does. I don't know why. I think that may be the cause of your screen not working also.

Try using the device in SAFE MODE.
I know that when it hangs, I get a black blank screen with a flashing line. It takes forever. Strange thing is when I start up from a fresh Power On, Shut Down, and Start up again, it works fine with no hang. It seems to only happen with a restart.

It seems that a lot of people from OCN suggest disabling Legacy Support USB -- is this like the BIOS configuration standard these days? I never had problems with my Abit boards -- just leaving it on default settings.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.