Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anytime I set my multiplier to 12.0, I get some really weird looking video barfs. Its like the whole screen will suddenly and indefinitely artifact at once. Anyone who remembers what it looked like when your NES blew virtual chunks should know what im talking about.
anyway, I tried someone's idea to up the voltage to my RAM a little bit. no effect.
Its starting to drive me nuts because I used to use 12x w/ no problem when i had my mx440, now my 9800pro wont work w/ it for some reason. I've tried all kinds of different voltages and external frequencies w/ the 12x, but still have the problem. any ideas?
it doesn't do this if my frequency is down a little, so I assume its related to the cpu speed and not simply the multiplier, but I could be wrong.

# include <signature.h>

(overclocked) AMD 3000+, 400 mhz fsb w/ Volcano 11 hsf. (OCed core from 2087 to 2405)
Kingston 512 MB DDR400
ATI 9800 pro AIW
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
80 GB IBM Deskstar, 7200 rpm
60 GB IBM Deskstar, 7200 rpm
Aopen cd-rw 52x
Sony Dvd-Rom
onboard sound and LAN (gigabit)
3 Mbit cable internet connection (shared w/ roommates)
PCMARK 04 score: 4178 (www.futuremark.com)

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
u may require a bios update, or it could be that the extra bandwith used by the 9800 is affecting your 12x oc - turn the 9800 down to 4X see if that helps

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sai_Jao

u may require a bios update, or it could be that the extra bandwith used by the 9800 is affecting your 12x oc - turn the 9800 down to 4X see if that helps

wont that decrease his performance on intense graphic games? I have no clue, just a noob when it comes to graphics

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonxsistant

wont that decrease his performance on intense graphic games? I have no clue, just a noob

yeah, I would think so too. I'm gonna flash my bios in a few mins though, then see what happens.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nonxsistant

wont that decrease his performance on intense graphic games? I have no clue, just a noob

not really as none of the current Graphics cards (X800 included) use the extra bandwith supplied by 8x Agp

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well, I updated my BIOS & tried turning off agp 8x support... still no dice.

I know that its just based on cpu speed rather than the multiplier. Im at 12x right now running fine, but the external frequency is set to 195 rather than 200.
any suggestions?

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevermore

well, I updated my BIOS & tried turning off agp 8x support... still no dice.

I know that its just based on cpu speed rather than the multiplier. Im at 12x right now running fine, but the external frequency is set to 195 rather than 200.
any suggestions?

wait a sec how stupid 4 me to over look this, turning the multi up to 12 uses more power! your New card pulls much more power than your Old one did , mayb a PSU upgrade is required, disconnect your optical drives and flopp and your non boot hard disk from the power supply and c if the graphics card works now.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sai_Jao

wait a sec how stupid 4 me to over look this, turning the multi up to 12 uses more power! your New card pulls much more power than your Old one did , mayb a PSU upgrade is required, disconnect your optical drives and flopp and your non boot hard disk from the power supply and c if the graphics card works now.

Yeah, that thought had actually crossed my mind as well. I'll try that here next. right now I'm downloading the newest build of pcmark04. for some reason my score has dropped 1000 points (at any speed) since last time I ran it a few days ago, and im starting to worry. I'm curious if flashing my bios had anything to do w/ it?
one other thing I'm gonna do is reset my CMOS, who knows what kind of settings might not be right.

·
Banned
1,018 Posts
Quote:

Yeah, that thought had actually crossed my mind as well. I'll try that here next. right now I'm downloading the newest build of pcmark04. for some reason my score has dropped 1000 points (at any speed) since last time I ran it a few days ago, and im starting to worry. I'm curious if flashing my bios had anything to do w/ it?
one other thing I'm gonna do is reset my CMOS, who knows what kind of settings might not be right.

should have reset your bios strait away, your custom settins have prob changed

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I've reset my CMOS and disconnected my cd-rom drives, etc. I'm still getting a 1000pt drop in pcmark04. I'm starting to fret a little. heh. anyone think flashing my bios may have caused this?
any other ideas, anything at all?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
well, I still have the video problem, and now I have serious performance issues.... In trying to fix an error I have only damaged things further. lol.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
will it hurt anything to flash my bios to an older version? i guess I could try reverting my bios.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Quote:

will it hurt anything to flash my bios to an older version? i guess I could try reverting my bios.

i just noticed you have a horriible PSU kind of like mine... i cannot OC past 2.35 without getting the image distortion in high end games like CS:Source, HL2, BF:V. its because the card iasnt getting enough power. i recommend upgrading the PSU if you can, even if thats not the problem.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah.
I've got a 350W raidmax psu, anyone think that would be better or do I just need to buy a brand new one?

Also, I don't know why but my pc is benchmarking at normal scores since I flashed my bios, but my pcmark04 score in particular is down 1000 pts or so still. I had some weird performance slowdowns, but don't seem to anymore. I might try flashing to 1012 rather than 1013, are there any problems w/ this to be aware of?

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
Quote:

Anytime I set my multiplier to 12.0, I get some really weird looking video barfs. Its like the whole screen will suddenly and indefinitely artifact at once. Anyone who remembers what it looked like when your NES blew virtual chunks should know what im talking about.
anyway, I tried someone's idea to up the voltage to my RAM a little bit. no effect.
Its starting to drive me nuts because I used to use 12x w/ no problem when i had my mx440, now my 9800pro wont work w/ it for some reason. I've tried all kinds of different voltages and external frequencies w/ the 12x, but still have the problem. any ideas?
it doesn't do this if my frequency is down a little, so I assume its related to the cpu speed and not simply the multiplier, but I could be wrong.

# include <signature.h>

(overclocked) AMD 3000+, 400 mhz fsb w/ Volcano 11 hsf. (OCed core from 2087 to 2405)
Kingston 512 MB DDR400
ATI 9800 pro AIW
Asus A7N8X-E Deluxe
80 GB IBM Deskstar, 7200 rpm
60 GB IBM Deskstar, 7200 rpm
Aopen cd-rw 52x
Sony Dvd-Rom
onboard sound and LAN (gigabit)
3 Mbit cable internet connection (shared w/ roommates)
PCMARK 04 score: 4178 (www.futuremark.com)

\\

if the multiper is affecting ur graphic, why dont u try to lower multiper and try to increas the FSB instead. From what u post u only keep the fsb at 200.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Quote:

Originally Posted by hanwinting

\\

if the multiper is affecting ur graphic, why dont u try to lower multiper and try to increas the FSB instead. From what u post u only keep the fsb at 200.

turns out its not just the multiplier, its the overall speed.
I just use 200 so I can keep it in sync w/ my RAM. I don't always have it at 200, ill change it for burning in, etc., but generally let it run at 200 or so.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts