Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wiped my hdd and installed xp, was using 98SE before. While using 98 i had my athlon xp2000+ clocked to 2ghz and it seemed to run fine, with temps at 35 normal and 39 at high load. i installed xp and clocked back up to 2ghz but the temps went to 39 with nothing running, totally idle, and normal is around 43+. not sure if i want to try full load. also my case temp has gone up quite alot aswell. any ideas as to what could have caused this? im almost certain there is much less happening in xp than when i had 98 on as i had lots of programs running usually. i am using motherboard monitor 5 and pc alert4 to get the temps...

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
Reapply some thermal grease most likely AS5, and make sure everything (fans) are plugged in and working.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks, ill try putting more grease on. all fans look to be working fine. it's just strange that it seems putting xp on made my temps go up...

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
What temp monitoring software were you using before? I agree with you 100%, that is odd to see a temp increase with only an OS update.

Your temps are still fine at 43, try loaded, you'll want to know how hot it really can get.

I suggest MBM 5 to monitor temps, and prime95 or Folding at Home to warm up your beast.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for your help, i put some fresh thermal paste on and then found out that the fan at the bottom front of my case (which is almost totally hidden unless i take the front of my case off) had stopped, it wouldnt work so i replaced it and that has stabled things quite a lot, im now running 43 full load (using folding @ home) which is still a little bit higher than before but seems ok.

thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts