Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to get my 5950x past 4300Mhz. I have an Aorus Master B550, and I am stress testing with Prime95. I have SMT and CPB disabled.

I have tried many different combinations of cpu vcore and llc settings. I'm trying to get down to the minimum voltage under load that is still stable. For most of these intermediate settings, I get a single error in Prime95 when initially starting the stress test.

Is this because of vdroop when all 16 threads begin simultaneously? There is no way to get Prime95 to stagger them, so I cannot test that.

What is the significance of a single error (out of 16 workers) as soon as I begin testing? The other 15 workers are fine at these settings. How do I fix this?

·
Totally Tubular
1,637 Posts
That is your weakest core. Just like each CPU has better cores that can run higher clocks, there are also cores that suck on each CPU.

You don't actually need to be Prime95 stable unless you're going to be running Prime95 on a daily basis. Most people don't care about being Prime95 stable any more, when it used to be the standard for stability. If you do want to be stable in Prime95 though, you have to cater to the lowest common denominator, which is that weakest core. You will need to either increase the voltage or decrease the clock speed until that core is stable.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is your weakest core. Just like each CPU has better cores that can run higher clocks, there are also cores that suck on each CPU.

You don't actually need to be Prime95 stable unless you're going to be running Prime95 on a daily basis. Most people don't care about being Prime95 stable any more, when it used to be the standard for stability. If you do want to be stable in Prime95 though, you have to cater to the lowest common denominator, which is that weakest core. You will need to either increase the voltage or decrease the clock speed until that core is stable.
The reason I like Prime is because it shows me the true thermal maximum output of my chip. Whatever my max temp is under Prime is my real max temp. The stability is less important, but I thought since it was only a single core failing each time that there might be a bug or some setting that I had wrong. If it's true that this core is my worst, it is much worse since there is a large voltage range where I only get 1 error.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Can I ask why you have SMT disabled? Reviews have shown that the max gaming penalty is around 1% and you're losing 30-40% in multi-threaded tasks.

As for your overclock, you can use per-CCX overclocking to get a bit more out of the better CCX if it's just that one core that's failing on the other.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Why would you want 4300mhz when it will boost to 4900mhz stock? Just asking.
You get much better multi-threaded performance at lower voltage and heat with a manual all-core overclock. You're not getting 4.3GHz with 32 threads running at stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You get much better multi-threaded performance at lower voltage and heat with a manual all-core overclock. You're not getting 4.3GHz with 32 threads running at stock.
What is your opinion about how best to use LLC with a 5950x? I can't find a setting that actually improves temperatures under load.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Have you looked at curve offset tuning?
It's time consuming, but on my 5800x seems to give the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Have you looked at curve offset tuning?
It's time consuming, but on my 5800x seems to give the best of both worlds.
It's an improvement over basic PBO, but still pulls too much voltage at 32 threads. The best I could where it stayed stable at the single core clocks still pulled 1.23v for 4.3GHz, which is 92C vs 78C for my current settings running Prime95 AVX2. You can't truly have it both ways, which is why the dynamic OC feature on the Dark Hero was such a big deal. Once they get the bugs out I may try messing with that.

• Rep+
Reactions: blu3dragon

·
Registered
174 Posts
What is your opinion about how best to use LLC with a 5950x? I can't find a setting that actually improves temperatures under load.
I use LLC3, which is 1.05v under maximum load @ 1.1125v.

I definitely see a difference in temps as voltage increases, I can get more out of the chip but I need a custom loop. What is your cooling setup?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't see how voltage offsets are different from vcore adjustment when manually overclocking. Is there any point to it?

I use LLC3, which is 1.05v under maximum load @ 1.1125v.

I definitely see a difference in temps as voltage increases, I can get more out of the chip but I need a custom loop. What is your cooling setup?
What percent calibration is llc3? I have still not figured out the numerical meaning of the Gigabyte BIOS levels. They are called "standard," "normal," "low," "medium," etc. Don't you find that your LLC adds a ton of heat under load?

I have SMT disabled. I am using a 360mm AIO liquid cooler. My temps seem good, but I am trying to get an optimal frequency/voltage point.

·
Registered
174 Posts
What percent calibration is llc3? I have still not figured out the numerical meaning of the Gigabyte BIOS levels. They are called "standard," "normal," "low," "medium," etc. Don't you find that your LLC adds a ton of heat under load?

I have SMT disabled. I am using a 360mm AIO liquid cooler. My temps seem good, but I am trying to get an optimal frequency/voltage point.
You can figure it out with CPU-Z (or other programs) and watch how far your vcore sags under Prime95 AVX2 with each setting. The higher the setting, the higher it will stay; that voltage is the real one that matters. LLC would add heat, as it increases the load voltage closer to the set voltage.

You're probably just at your temp ceiling with your current setup, these chips put out a lot of heat. Once I get a new GPU I'm putting in a loop with an Optimus Foundation, as I can't get above 4.3GHz either without getting over 90C.

Also, I would enable SMT, there's no benefit to disabling it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts