Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok here is my ones first one is a long time ago here is my rig amd blah blah 1.25 ghz ok it first statrted off by me booting the computer then sudenly boom!! i heared somthing in the computer
when i oppened it up i saw black smoke near the hardrive power connector and i was so stressed and thought my comp was permantely damaged. I put in a new psu and it booted up strangely and said NO operating system found my dad then had a look and tried reinstaling windows sadly no dice it wouldnt load then he got an idea and took out one of the ram out and strangely it booted xp this is also a mysterious story because why wasnt the HDD dead.

another story is when i was searching on the internet and sudenly my conecction went dead i checked the computer cables and they were conected and then did a virus/spyware scan in safe mode which didnt work i then went to the houses network and saw my brothers playing with the router
they turned it off lol i was so stressed and though i should fromat my hdd

·
Registered
59 Posts
Haha wow I would freak out if that happened. I never would have thought to take out a RAM stick with the only evidence of damage being a blown up HDD cable. Good thinking marcin123b's dad!!

-BumBum

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Well I was booting my old PII and then... BOOM. I though ***? Oh it's just the balloon near my chair I was too lazy to move...then another BOOM and I look at the computer and smoke and a bad oder was coming out of it. Stuff was ozying from the PSU. Wierd thing is, it booted into windows anyways :***:

·
Registered
420 Posts
LOL, once I was wiring a fan to a mini-3 pin mobo connector, and I got the wires wrong, so when I truned on the computer after plugging it in, I heard a click sound and it started smelling of smoke. I was so scared I fried my MOBO, but it was just the fan that fried.

·
Registered
604 Posts
One time at work, I opened a computer an it had an inch of dust inside!!!1!1ohnoz1!1one

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by metalkobra

i once ate my cpu

:***:

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by marcin123b

ok here is my ones first one is a long time ago here is my rig amd blah blah 1.25 ghz ok it first statrted off by me booting the computer then sudenly boom!! i heared somthing in the computer
when i oppened it up i saw black smoke near the hardrive power connector and i was so stressed and thought my comp was permantely damaged. I put in a new psu and it booted up strangely and said NO operating system found my dad then had a look and tried reinstaling windows sadly no dice it wouldnt load then he got an idea and took out one of the ram out and strangely it booted xp this is also a mysterious story because why wasnt the HDD dead.

another story is when i was searching on the internet and sudenly my conecction went dead i checked the computer cables and they were conected and then did a virus/spyware scan in safe mode which didnt work i then went to the houses network and saw my brothers playing with the router
they turned it off lol i was so stressed and though i should fromat my hdd

seems like you get stressed out too easily

anyways i was in CBiD and i saw that you could adjust the multiplier (nothing happened when u did though) and then i saw that it went up to 25 and i put it and it said "your system will now be clocked to 5.2ghz" and i clicked OK and nothing happened but OMG it was a rush

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
When I first put together my new rig (the on in my sig) I got it all wired up, hit the power button and: no picture. All the fans came on, the the hard drives spun up, the DVD drive lights flashed, but no video. So, now I am in panic mode, hopeing that I didnt kill my video card when I put the heat sink on. Finaly, after some help from you guys, it turns out I forgot to plug the 4-pin P4 connector into my PSU!

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chillaxed

seems like you get stressed out too easily

anyways i was in CBiD and i saw that you could adjust the multiplier (nothing happened when u did though) and then i saw that it went up to 25 and i put it and it said "your system will now be clocked to 5.2ghz" and i clicked OK and nothing happened but OMG it was a rush

LMAO.

·
Registered
975 Posts
A few weeks after I got this rig I lost several gigs of files cause of a bad 80Gb Seagate HD. Damaged sectores all over the HD, and a screwed MBR; I think I reinstalled Windows XP like 5 times in 5-8hrs, installed Linux maybe twice trying to recover some files, then installed Win 2k and finally "worked" booting in something like 5 min on clean install. I ended up changing the HD and got a 160Gb Sata Maxtor.

·
Registered
317 Posts
One time I was putting new heatsinks on my video card (it didnt have any on the ram and only a tiny one on the gpu.) Anyway I put then on and started it up , but it would only stay on for about a second. Then i got a really bad burnt smell...

It turned out the heatsinks shorted out the card. The good part is it still worked after I put some electrical tape around them.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I bet it was a slot one/slot a...lol.

Quote:

Originally Posted by metalkobra

yeah, i was holding it in my hand and like it just jumped in my mouth, pooping it out was no fun...

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Reminds me of when my friend's brother got a new powersupply for his computer (i dont remember why, but he isnt very good at computers). Either way, it wouldn't work, so me and my friend tried the "jump the green and black wire to turn it on" method.

Anyway, as soon as we did that, it went SPARK, POP, crash and burn. I was less then a foot from it, looking directly into it, so I was seeing spots from the flash for a while and it smelled REALLY bad.

·
Registered
365 Posts
When I flashed my vid card to a x850xtpe BIOS for the first time, the ram timing was wrong, so the screen was all just gray lines
and I almost crapped myself. I managed to restart the computer, boot into flashrom and flash to my backup.bin without being able to see the screen. PHEW. (Side note- it's now running on a new x80xtpe made for me by STE
)

And the other day I got the smart idea to use a normal thermometer you put in your mouth to get your temp when you have a fever to find out what my vidcard was running at (no temp sensor :/ ), without even thinking the metal tip of the thermometer MIGHT be bad for my card. I got a whole bunch of sparks when I put it on some kind of componenet on there (voltage reg. or something), and when I looked at my screen everything was tinted blue!!!!!! Then after several seconds of frantic panicing, I tried jiggling the monitor cable around and it went back to normal

Overall no permanent damage as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It was when my first mobo fried due to a psu surge that scared me $h!+ess. Frist a bad oder from the psu. Then smoke comes pouring out from one of the mobos PWMICs... And a dead vid card. Talk about frantic pannicking.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts