Overclock.net banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 679 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Since the CPU structure is significantly different the latencies are not compareable. For instance according to AMDs estimation, the increased L3 cache alone lowers the effective memory latency by up to 33ns.
So eventhou the tuned, best-case memory latency might be < 10ns higher than on Pinnacle Ridge, the effective latency on Ryzen 3000-series is still far superior.
That sounds really amazing, I'm currently trying to decide If I upgrade my GPU (Currently GTX 1060 6GB) to a RTX 2070 SUPER or my Ryzen 1800X with tweaked sub-timings (3466mhz LL) to a Ryzen 3700X.
Problem is I can only afford one atm either the 3700X or the RTX 2070 SUPER, does anybody know which would give me a better overall gaming performance upgrade.. not just talking about average frames but 1% lows and 0.1% lows??

I currently game at 1080p and very low settings for games such as Apex Legends, CoD etc. always go for high frame rate (144hz).

·
Registered
224 Posts
I'm most interested to see if we can expect 3600MHz at 14-14-14-14 instead of the 3600MHz at 14-15-14-14 many of us have to run on our Ryzen 2000 CPUs.
this is still dropping my jaw, with my sad 3533cl16 b-die kit

·
Registered
538 Posts
That is not surprising, since that is the official and only stand from AMD.

Technically the 3900X should indeed hit at least the advertised 4.6GHz however, I'm yet to see any confirmed case where it actually would do that.
This reviewer claims it hits the specified boost using a bios with earlier AGESA on their Aorus Xtreme Mobo but were limited on newer AGESA. They write about bios/AGESA issues about 2/3 of the way down the page. https://www.xanxogaming.com/reviews...w-english-dethroning-the-intel-core-i9-9900k/ I've attached the screen grab they took from HWinfo. It's a little tough to read but you can still read the max column.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
This reviewer claims it hits the specified boost using a bios with earlier AGESA on their Aorus Xtreme Mobo but were limited on newer AGESA. They write about bios/AGESA issues about 2/3 of the way down the page. https://www.xanxogaming.com/reviews...w-english-dethroning-the-intel-core-i9-9900k/ I've attached the screen grab they took from HWinfo. It's a little tough to read but you can still read the max column.
Judging by the voltages alone, that isn't working properly either.
There is significant differences between the different core characteristics and not all of them should boost to the Fmax.
Likewise, not all of them should run at the same voltage either. No different to older CPUs, such as the 2700X. Only the best cores could boost to the Fmax (4.35GHz).

To me that looks like some kind of a bios hack, done by Gigabyte. Maybe disabled or misconfigured FIT controller.

·
Registered
263 Posts

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
Is PBO only available on X SKUs like it was on Ryzen 2000?

At least on R5 3600 it worked fine, so I guess not :D
A purchaser of R5 3600 gained an answer from AMD source on Reddit apparently, link.

Well share my results later today :) .

I was wondering Roger if like when PR released you have util for checking best/worst core core voltage difference or will that previous SW work with clock rolled back?

·
OCN is bad civilization
3,704 Posts
A question. I'm planning to order G-Skill TridentZ 3600 CL15-15-15-35 memory to go along with 3700X and aorus x570 elite, but I've read somewhere that ryzen doesn't go well with anything odd. Is this only for older ryzen or is this load-o-carp as usual? Just want to confirm before I have to send 200 euros worth of ram back and forth.

·
Meddling user
7,423 Posts
A question. I'm planning to order G-Skill TridentZ 3600 CL15-15-15-35 memory to go along with 3700X and aorus x570 elite, but I've read somewhere that ryzen doesn't go well with anything odd. Is this only for older ryzen or is this load-o-carp as usual? Just want to confirm before I have to send 200 euros worth of ram back and forth.
On 1xxx/2xxx you disabled Gear Down Mode and odd CAS was not rounded up to nearest even. If 3xxx still needs this, that is all you'll have to do to have CAS 15.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
@The Stilt Have You tried playing with BCLK ?? I'w not seen anything around on that topic.
I'm interested as well. though on gen 1 it wasn't that useful as it made the chip hotter and didn't help performance if you matched with regular multiplier clocking. (130fsb tried on Ryzen 7 1700)

I've made a order for a Ryzen 7 3800X and a new ASUS motherboard so will have oppurtunity to test it out whenever they actually arrive. Might take 1-2 weeks at worst.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thanks for all of this. Any undervolting tests would be appreciated. Would it help achieving higher boost clocks like with GPUs?

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I asked them via twitter (linking to your OP), if they used an Asus board with a BIOS other than 0066 and they pretty much confirmed it.
The issue which is present in the newer than 0066 but older than 0090 bioses cannot have caused it.
Sure, the CPU exceeded its power consumption and because of that it ran at somewhat higher voltages as well than it should have had.
But typically we're talking < 30W difference in power consumption, and less than 70mV difference in the peak voltage.

A CPU which has rated power draw of 142W doesn't get killed by additional < 30W. If it does, then it was defective from the get-go and would have failed at some point in any case.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
The memory controller requires disabling "GearDownMode" before the odd tCL values can be used.
This has not changed in Ryzen 3000-series, as far as I know.

G.Skill 3600 15-15-15 is the highest rated (at 1.35V) kit money can buy and they are excellent regardless if the rated tCL 15 CLK work on the platform or not.
You could probably run them at 3600MHz 14-14-14 timings with safe voltages, but the quickest way around overall is probably running them 3733MHz 15-15-15.
The system should be able to do 3733MHz even with GearDownMode disabled and since higher FCLK is beneficial, the latency should be better as well.

But like I said, my personal experience on memory related things on this platform is extremely limited, due being extremely busy for the last couple of weeks.

·
Premium Member
2,759 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
@The Stilt Have You tried playing with BCLK ?? I'w not seen anything around on that topic.
No.
I never touch the BCLK on these platforms for following reasons: There is no need to and altering the BCLK can cause serious issues since BCLK isn't an independent domain.
I've lost data on a M.2 SSD by doing so, so until there is a clear benefit to be had, I never do it again.

@The Stilt

Why these chips does not scale well with LN2 ?

After their 32nm , they never do!
why ?
Probably due to various different reasons.
One of them is the characteristics of the modern manufacturing processes, and one is the design of the chips themselves.
Both Intel's and AMD's 32nm processes were amazing in terms of Fmax. Also in case of 15h cores, they were designed to hit extremely high frequencies to begin with.
On Piledriver CPUs you could get a suicide screenshot at 6.0GHz on conventional cooling. These days were are lucky to brief turbo burst at low 5GHz's.

Thanks for all of this. Any undervolting tests would be appreciated. Would it help achieving higher boost clocks like with GPUs?
You can see the Vmin (Vmin = minimum voltage) figures from the "Overclocking" and "Performance per Watt" sections.
As you can see from the latter chart (Vmin vs. Fuse) the only margins that are present are the thermal ones (see how the too lines meet at 3.4GHz).

·
DRAM Obsessor
1,034 Posts
G.Skill 3600 15-15-15 is the highest rated (at 1.35V) kit money can buy and they are excellent regardless if the rated tCL 15 CLK work on the platform or not.
What about the 4000 cl17 kits? They are rated for 1.35v as well. The 4400 cl19 kits are nice too but they are rated at 1.4v

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
They are extremely high quality sticks as well, but 3600MHz 15-15-15 is tehnically a better bin (8.333ns vs. 8.500ns at 1.350V).

Besides, anything with RGB on it doesn't count as a real product :p
Ye who needs RGB its not Xmas.
Ill have a plan to play with BCLK to see how it is with locked all core oc. I'm on 102bclk on my 2700x over a year no problems for more fun i was using 104 on older bioses :)

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
Much appreciated as always Stilt; i feel dumb everytime time i give rep to folks (useless), but.. all i can do :)

Speaking of RAM btw, you (all?) should check out the new Ryzen "optimised" modules coming from GSKILL if you haven't purchased something already:

GSKILL modules.jpg

* Edit: Good thing i waited as it turns out, that 2x16Gigs at 3600/16-16-16-36 has my name on it. Whether i will or will not be able to run it there; we'll see ^^

61 - 80 of 679 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.