Moved up from a Q6600 G0 + P5n32-E SLI

Current Rig:

Striker II Extreme 790i Ultra
Intel Q9650 / VID 1.25 / Revision E0 / Arctic Freezer Pro 7 / OCZ Freeze
2* 2GB DDR3 OCZ FLEX EX PC3-16000 2000MHZ
Thermaltake 750W Modular
MSI 280GTX (Factory OC)
Antec 900

My old motherboard had a nice stickied overclocking thread, but couldn't find such a comprehensive tutorial about the striker II extreme. Can some kind soul list what I'll need to get to about 3.6GHz? The more detailed the better
I have no idea about the voltages needed for this CPU, nor the NB SB voltages. Also, can I actually get the RAM to run at 2000MHZ or is that just marketing gibberish?! The manufacturer timings state 8-8-8-30 at 2000mhz, but could these be improved? I've got a couple of Antec spotcools, one pointed at the ram, the other towards the SB to help cooling. Any help appreciated

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Thats a pretty advanced mobo and cpu to start ocing on. Their should be TONS of guides on here about ocing that chip just use the search
I'd like to help but ive never used that piticualr board so i dont know the bios features. If you want to post a pic of the bios voltage options i could help a bit more.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Sorry, haven't used that mobo...3.6ghz shouldn't be too hard for that chip, on any decent mobo. I've gotten my q9650 to 3.83ghz with ease, using 1.344 vcore, which I could have lowered. FSB was 1.25v or so. That's on an nforce (SLI) chipset (780i). For what that's worth.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the responses....yea i'm fiddling with the settings, at the minute having trouble booting if the ram is set at 2000MHz, will only work at 1600MHz...using the correct voltage at 2.0v...i shall persist

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Boy...I guess that's a DDR3 board, but...2000mhz, that's pretty fast. You might want to start out by lowering RAM speeds (to something like 1:1 RAM/FSB) and loosening your timings, and getting a stable cpu overclock. When you have that, start messing with RAM speed/timing (you'll probably have to raise some volts, like northbridge, to get high RAM speed/tight timings). Sorry if this is old news.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts

·
Registered
3,143 Posts
Putting your ram a bump or two above recommend voltage is FINE particularly the ocing brands with heat spreaders "mushkin OCZ ect" North Bridge controls ram to a degree so uping that will allow you to get higher mhz. Also check what your stock ram voltage is from the manufacture and set that in the bios but up one notch. Never use auto as it will severely underestimate the voltage needed wich could be why you can only get 1600mhz. This go's for timings as well dont use auto set them your self.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
It's easier for use if you fill in your system specs Here

Something to know. On Nvidia chipsets (like our 790i), anything but a ratio of 2:1 (DRAM:FSB) causes huge performance loses and instability. Link and Sync your ram, this will actually underclock you ram, but that's good at this point.

Leave all of your timings at stock (If this is your ram then it is 8-8-8-30-2T with 2.0v) and subtimings on auto. If you find an option that says P1 and P2 Enable them (Not Auto).

Now overclocking this board is the same as every other board it just has a few more options for tweaking. Go ahead and set the NB as high as it safely says (ussually 1.47v is in green and everything else is in red). The southbridge is fine on auto.

Now increase your QDR (Quad-pumped data rate=FSBx4) by 20 to 1353. If you don't see QDR but you see FSB as 333, then increase that to 338. You should set the vcore to stock but not auto. Boot into windows and run LinX for 10 passes using 2048mb of ram. If it passes, then go back to the bios and increase QDR by 20 or FSB by 5(whichever option you see). Test with LinX again and keep going. If it ever errors/crashes then increase vcore by one notch and test again. If it still fails again increase vcore by one notch.

Make sure you watch your temps with LinX. You're using an Artic Freezer 7, which isn't that great for overclocking. Try to keep your temps under about 71C, but if they go over it's not life or death.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by seward View Post
Boy...I guess that's a DDR3 board, but...2000mhz, that's pretty fast. You might want to start out by lowering RAM speeds (to something like 1:1 RAM/FSB) and loosening your timings, and getting a stable cpu overclock. When you have that, start messing with RAM speed/timing (you'll probably have to raise some volts, like northbridge, to get high RAM speed/tight timings). Sorry if this is old news.
yea ddr3, the asus page says 2000mhz is supported. gonna keep tinkering....

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericeod View Post
Robilar has an eVGA 790i OCing thread. The hardware is the same. The bios is slightly different though. NVIDIA calls the NB the SPP, and the SB the MCP. ASUS just calls them NB and SB.

http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...ing-guide.html
cool, thanks will look at that thread now

Quote:

Originally Posted by I_dalder_I View Post
Putting your ram a bump or two above recommend voltage is FINE particularly the ocing brands with heat spreaders "mushkin OCZ ect" North Bridge controls ram to a degree so uping that will allow you to get higher mhz. Also check what your stock ram voltage is from the manufacture and set that in the bios but up one notch. Never use auto as it will severely underestimate the voltage needed wich could be why you can only get 1600mhz. This go's for timings as well dont use auto set them your self.
the ocz page says 2.0v at 2000mhz, i've tried to manually put the timings. I'm gonna put the NB voltage up and see what happens. Coming from the 680i with their crazy hot NB/SB i'd heard good things about the 790i temps. we shall see. thanks guys...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chicken Inferno, I've not had time to do that complete OC yet, but managed to get the CPU at 3.6 no problems, RAM is still being stubborn. Seems quite stable at 1600mhz...but anything more seems unstable. will keep trying....

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,954 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lonely_Warrior
View Post

no, still would not boot is ram is set to 2000mhz

What about if you increase the memory voltage a little?

Actually, can you post a screenshot of the SPD tab in CPU-Z? And if you decide to use Imageshack (which you don't have to do), then please use the "Direct" URL.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
What about if you increase the memory voltage a little?

Actually, can you post a screenshot of the SPD tab in CPU-Z? And if you decide to use Imageshack (which you don't have to do), then please use the "Direct" URL.
will get screenshots updated later on

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChickenInferno View Post
If could be possible that the northbridge can't handle it. Did you increase your NB voltage up to the max safe?
upped NB voltage to 1.45, still no go.

·
Premium Member
4,610 Posts
@LahiruRD - Thanks, you reminded me of a simple fact that should fix both of your problems.

@Both of you - Starting from the closest to the CPU socket from left to right ram slots 1 and 3 are not designed for ram speeds above 1600mhz. Slots 1 and 3 for me are blue and slots 2 and 4 are white. Put your ram in the white slots (2 and 4) and only then can you go higher.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts